Happy Thanksgiving!

RedScare

OK, gang, it's time to take a break from bashing each other and do something worthy. All of us know about the Thanksgiving Feast that is provided annually at the George R Brown Convention Center. I received a call from the Citywide Club last night, asking me to sponsor a food basket or two for those that cannot afford a full-on Thanksgiving dinner. Baskets start at $35, which will pay for several families.

I encourage everyone to drop a check in the mail for $35 (or more). The address is:

Citywide Club Food Basket Program

P. O. Box 740889

Houston, TX 77274

Give yourself a warm fuzzy, and write a check. And have a Happy Thanksgiving!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

my parents are out of town for thanksgiving. i can't blame them.

my little sis is doing thanksgiving as are several other friends. one family has maxed out their duck hunting licenses and happen to be really good cooks. duck in lake jackson for thanksgiving anyone?

seeing as my sis is nearby i think i'll drop in for home cooking over there today.

anyone have interesting plans today? my dream thanksgiving is to do it in manhattan and shop the big apple tomorrow.

amen to that.

i used to have thanksgiving night parties because everyone i knew would be in town with their families. most people were over the family time by eight or so and would have nothing planned. everyone would bring leftovers and wine. we'd have our "second" family thanksgiving. good times.

I will probably catch the Uptown Holiday Lighting this evening since I'll be in the right place at the right time.

And i feel a little like I'm back in high school when i write this, but I'm really looking forward to Tori Amos this Sunday!! :D:blush:

I will probably catch the Uptown Holiday Lighting this evening since I'll be in the right place at the right time.

And i feel a little like I'm back in high school when i write this, but I'm really looking forward to Tori Amos this Sunday!! :D:blush:

My wife met Tori Amos at what was then the Primeco Theater at Bayou Place. She was in the room with channel 39's Mia Gradney when she did a one-on-one interview with her around 2000.

My wife's also a MASSIVE Tori Amos fan and took lots of her own pictures while she was there. I was really surprised how crappy (think fake wood paneling and worn-out couches covered with soiled blankets) the celebrity green room was at Bayou Place. Hopefully it's better these days.

Does anyone ever get the impression that the holidays are just the time of year when families get together and exchange viruses or otherwise injure themselves and one another? I've only had a few experiences with the ER within those years of my life that I can remember, and all four fall within a few days of Thanksgiving or Christmas.

CASUALTY REPORT:

Grandfather - Low red blood cell count related to chemotherapy caused anemia, spent last night at hospital getting a couple pints.

Grandmother - Fell while entering the camper to turn on the heater; compound fracture of humerus just below the ball, spent the night before last in the ER.

Mother - Burst a blood vessel on Wednesday in her eye; it has not healed and is still red.

Father - Entered a bipolar depression cycle last weekend.

Younger Niece - Toe infection from ingrown toenail; a minor proceedure was undertaken to drain the pus; she freaked out, had to be physically restrained, and ended up...

TheNiche - ...attempting unsuccessfully to bite her uncle's thumb off. I had experienced the onset of a really nasty cold on Thursday morning, so it is entirely possible that she'll catch it too.

A little late posting to this thread, but I did Thanksgiving with my parents, sisters, and Dad's mentally unstable sister at my Mom and Dad's house. We always do Thanksgiving together as a family, but since 2003 had been at my sister's in League City. This year we went back to Mom and Dad's, and before the day was over, Mom was already saying that next year she wants to go out of town again, mainly because my aunt wouldn't be there.

I high-tailed it back to Houston first thing Friday morning because my boyfriend was in town from Atlanta to visit me for the weekend. He got in Thursday night and spent the night at my apartment alone, and after several days with family, I couldn't wait to see him. Our weekend together was the highlight of my Thanksgiving holiday.

thanksgiving out of town next year, niche?

Depends upon the survivability of my grandfather. He's a walking, living, breathing, cancerous miracle--so say the doctors. We all think its the attitude, which just can't be thwarted. But we know that reality will eventually catch up with him.

If he's gone, the center of mass and/or interest probably shifts to Galveston. May even make the changeover this xmas if grandparents aren't capable of staging the event.

Does anyone ever get the impression that the holidays are just the time of year when families get together and exchange viruses or otherwise injure themselves and one another? I've only had a few experiences with the ER within those years of my life that I can remember, and all four fall within a few days of Thanksgiving or Christmas.

CASUALTY REPORT:

Grandfather - Low red blood cell count related to chemotherapy caused anemia, spent last night at hospital getting a couple pints.

Grandmother - Fell while entering the camper to turn on the heater; compound fracture of humerus just below the ball, spent the night before last in the ER.

Mother - Burst a blood vessel on Wednesday in her eye; it has not healed and is still red.

Father - Entered a bipolar depression cycle last weekend.

Younger Niece - Toe infection from ingrown toenail; a minor proceedure was undertaken to drain the pus; she freaked out, had to be physically restrained, and ended up...

TheNiche - ...attempting unsuccessfully to bite her uncle's thumb off. I had experienced the onset of a really nasty cold on Thursday morning, so it is entirely possible that she'll catch it too.

Your a woman?

Sorry about your grandfather though. Hopefully he gets better. :)

• 11 months later...

rbs' posts about pies and fried turkey got me wondering what all y'all in the HAIFesphere are doing. Are you cooking Thanksgiving dinner, and if so, what? Do you visit family, friends, or say screw it and go on vacation? Do you take in strays? Volunteer?

I'm doing the full meal deal again this year for my immediate family. We have often strayed from turkey even when my mother used to cook the meal, and since I'm not much of a fan of turkey, it's going to be a ginormous roast pork. (the best part is I got a huge shoulder roast for $1 a pound!) I Boned, trimmed, seasoned and tied it tonight. It dry-drines till Thursday. Mmmm, good. Plus makes way better gravy than turkey!

Mom still has to make the cornbread and biscuit dressing, though.

A minor problem, we already drank one of the bottles of wine for the meal. And eaten some of the crabmeat that was supposed to be for the apps. Doh.

We are going to New Orleans to see my sister, who moved to the uptown area earlier in the year. It will be my first time in NO in years, and we are looking forward to touring the old neighborhoods and generally being liquored up most of the weekend :).

I think we are supposed to bring the turkey, but all those bottles of wine take up a lot of space!

This year, I have the added fun of working two overnight overtime shifts at work. Hooray for triple time!

More drinkin' money for the xmas happy hour, should we ever decide where to go.

Travelguy, funny you mention New Orleans. Since I'm hosting Thankgiving, I think we may go at Christmas to get all liquored up, and hide out from the family. Plus, there are no frikkin oysters in Houston since Ike! Another reason to go.

It's nice that you mention "take in strays." I was a stray. When I lived in Houston every holiday there was always some family from work or the neighborhood or somewhere that invited me to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner because they knew I didn't have any family of my own left. I will always remember the hospitality of the people of Houston. In Chicago no one gives a crap about anyone else.

That said, my wife and I will spend the morning at the McDonald's Thanksgiving Parade (viewable nationwide on WGN America), get some coffee and sit in the park and canoodle for a while, come home to a dinner from Boston Market and a pumpkin pie that I'll make myself, and then watch James Bond movies all night.

Archived