scary new changes in the earth's eco-system

houstonmacbro

Also, WTF was up with Captain Planet anyway? He had those four kids with badass rings with Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water, then he had that one left-out kid with a ring called "heart"? Can you imagine him going to a superhero's convention and forcing his way in ranting "Look b*tch, I'm Heart from Captain Planet!"?

I guess have have to summon earth's greatest champion . . .Captain Planet

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WTF did Heart do in that clip? :lol::lol::lol:

He just stood there in the buring forest and raised his hand in the air while the poor monkeys ran off.

I guess he did get screwed, that and the artist must have recycled parts of Gi when creating him, because they look somewhat similar in looks :lol: .

But you have to admit, as cheesy as the cartoon was, it really offered great lessons to teach kid about saving the environment.

The episode where all the Planeteers were in a virtual reality setting of earth that suddenly gets hijacked by the enemies, and they make destruction of earth speed up, really was a good episode. They could have took that idea and made it into a really cool live action sci-fi movie. ^_^

But you have to admit, as cheesy as the cartoon was, it really offered great lessons to teach kid about saving the environment.

Yeah. If you're ever in a burning forest full of monkeys that aren't smart enough to run away, hold up your heart ring. You'll all still burn up, but at least you'll die thinking you did something...

Yeah. If you're ever in a burning forest full of monkeys that aren't smart enough to run away, hold up your heart ring. You'll all still burn up, but at least you'll die thinking you did something...

Well, they really just lightly skipped over him and went straight to the 5-way split screen, so they must have not been able to think of anything worthy to show. I think he can control animals though, so maybe he was using his heart power to force all the animals to run away. ;)

I think they wanted to have equal representation of all the general races of people and from each main continent (they forget Austrialia!). :o

It also sits well since 5 is a good amount for a team. . . or a band, think Spice Girls or Backstreet Boys! :lol:

Vast African Lake Levels Dropping Fast

(AP) -- At Jinja pier the rusty red hull of a Lake Victoria freighter sat barely afloat in water just six feet deep - and dropping. "The scientists have to explain this," said ship's engineer Gabriel Maziku.

Across the bay, at a fish packing plant, fishermen had to wade ashore with their Nile perch in flat-bottomed boats, and heave the silvery catch up to a jetty that soon may be on dry land and out of reach entirely. Looking on, plant manager Ravee Ramanujam wondered about what's to come.

"Such a large body of water, dropping so fast," he said.

At 27,000 square miles, the size of Ireland, Victoria is the greatest of Africa's Great Lakes - the biggest freshwater body after Lake Superior. And it has dropped fast, at least six feet in the past three years, and by as much as a half-inch a day this year before November rains stabilized things.

http://jbburnett.com/blogs/2006/12/vast-af...pping-fast.html

It was just on the news that 2006 officially has been the warmest year, at least in the UK, ever recorded. That includes about 300 years of data. In the UK and Ireland there are still places where flowers are blooming and plants are green. Scary stuff.

The warmest ! And by how many degrees are we talking here, is it based on amount of warm days or by average temperature for the year ?

It was just on the news that 2006 officially has been the warmest year, at least in the UK, ever recorded. That includes about 300 years of data. In the UK and Ireland there are still places where flowers are blooming and plants are green. Scary stuff.

Actually I think that data actually came from the Netherlands, where they are the earliest known source of temperature measurements, dating back to 1706. They released a report yesterday that 2006 was the warmest average temperature ever recorded, from 10.9 C to 11.0 C. in 2000.

NETHERLANDS: December 13, 2006

DE BILT, Netherlands - This year is on track to be the warmest in the Netherlands since temperatures were first measured in 1706, the Dutch meteorological institute KNMI said on Tuesday, linking the record with global warming. The average temperature in 2006 is likely to exceed 11 degrees Celsius in the Netherlands, beating a previous record of 10.9 degrees in 2000, Rob van Dorland of the KNMI atmospheric research department told Reuters in an interview.

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cf...39453/story.htm

Up a whole tenth of a degree Celsius in 6 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The warmest ! And by how many degrees are we talking here, is it based on amount of warm days or by average temperature for the year ?

Even a few fractions of a degree change in temperature can affect the sea temperature which can affect the food chain. I think some algea either die, while others grow like weeds in the area.

It is the little changes that can sometime cause disasters. :mellow:

Even a few fractions of a degree change in temperature can affect the sea temperature which can affect the food chain. I think some algea either die, while others grow like weeds in the area.

It is the little changes that can sometime cause disasters. :mellow:

Puma, it is based on average for the year, so Dec.3, 1988 could have been 75* and Dec.3, 2006 could have been 55*, you see how things can change ?

Here's a better example.... Here in Houston on Dec. 14, 1950 it was 82* on Dec. 14, 1982 it was 42*, and now TODAY Dec. 14, 2006 it is 70*.

Take a look at this great website, maybe you'll learn something? http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Houston.html

Puma, it is based on average for the year, so Dec.3, 1988 could have been 75* and Dec.3, 2006 could have been 55*, you see how things can change ?

Here's a better example.... Here in Houston on Dec. 14, 1950 it was 82* on Dec. 14, 1982 it was 42*, and now TODAY Dec. 14, 2006 it is 70*.

Take a look at this great website, maybe you'll learn something? http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Houston.html

TJ he's in over his head. If people would really sit down and read some of the junk data generated by these over funded (federally by the way) research projects, they would really begin to understand that these lab rats that have nothing more than to spread their "chicken little syndrome" while sitting in controlled environments and running scaled models from one extreme to another in distorted fashions, just to force the data to conform to their own personal theories, and justify to their parents the 300 grand they blew of their retirement pensions, so Johnny Boy could be a professional student an complete his PhD in under twenty years. Global political and media attention are focused to the point of obsession on potential climate changes resulting from a doubling of atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2). There is nothing particularly significant about this arbitrary figure other than it having caught the imagination of many, probably because it's a simple concept, often repeated. Given this obsession I will try and explain my point of view and will base my calculations on the doubling of this trace gas in the atmosphere.

Now pay close attention all you global warming fanatics (you too Puma, in all sincerity pay attention you might learn something here) because this could get bumpy, and by all means before you jump and threaten to strangle yourself with your Greenpeace t-shirt, make note that we are concentrating on global mean temperature (not just a random data spike that likes to hit the headlines of all the media), as is the current fashion, although there is no evidence this is a particularly useful metric. Also, the focus is on radiative forcing, specifically from a doubling of atmospheric carbon dioxide (2xCO2), even though transport (convective adjustment) is of far greater significance. Any effect on this transport by slight greenhouse enhancement is more poorly understood. This is highly significant because, if Earth's surface cooled by radiation alone, (that is, in the absence of convective adjustment), surface temperatures would average 350 K (M

(this is so cool I get to use the new subscript features in the forum)

(Niche get your pencil sharp you'll love this part you number freak)

I think that's worth repeating. Despite knowing the sun has become more active we allocate all estimated temperature change to GHGs, extrapolate forward all values to a potential doubling of atmospheric carbon dioxide and, using the real world response numbers to date, we still only come up with a total potential warming of <1.6

[CLAP] [CLAP] [CLAP] [CLAP] [CLAP] [CLAP] [CLAP] [CLAP]

I'm just drooling at the subscript and superscript...gotta love it! Editor, the more formula-building features you incorporate into HAIF, the happier I'm going to be.

I knew you were getting wood over that new feature, I personally think it's cool as hell, not having to code all our symbols, just fantastic.

20 bucks says that the thread gets shutdown now because people are using more logic than some people's brains can comprehend. THANKS MARK ! ! !

....or at the very least bigtex will chime in to inform me that they aren't gonna shut the thread down, just to be a smartass. You watch.

I just get tired of all the political posturing and BS that gets slung on this subject, to gain some sort of my dog is better than your dog edge, I just thought we ought to break it down and let everybody dig out those old HP 12S calculators you've had gathering dust in a drawer for a long time, and try and use the brain cells and think for ourselves for a change. Instead of listening to some political agenda or junk data generated by people motivated by political agenda, and funded by people trying to gain a foot hold on the naive public that have no idea one way or another.

I personally can't stand Savage most times, he only has a few views, when it comes to "America first", that I only truly agree with him. I find him to be dead wrong about most topics he tries to tackle, and then spews out how many degrees he has at the same time trying to say that he always talks in "Layman's terms". Whatever.

However, I also agree with him that the Earth is NOT in any kind of "global crisis", and I will not get into to "as why" because I know no matter how I show it to you, I will not gain in converts, so it is pointless for me to expound on it.

Its funny to here Savage and Mark Levin call each other names on their shows like, The Wiener Nation, fruit cake and Savage calling him and others wall bangers, Leprechauns and Hush Bimbo. :wacko:

Its funny to here Savage and Mark Levin call each other names on their shows like, The Wiener Nation, fruit cake and Savage calling him and others wall bangers, Leprechauns and Hush Bimbo. :wacko:

What I think it boils down to is a little Microphone Envy. You NEVER hear Rush talk about these two EVER, because he knows they aren't really in the same class, although, Savage would have you believe that his audience is bigger than Rush's. I think that is the main reason why I don't like Savage much, because he seems to be in a fight with Rush, that Rush is completely oblivious that he is even involved in, and it just makes Savage look like an idiot. Because I think that Savage thinks, that if he calls Rush names enough times that Rush may actually say "Michael Savage, said this and that about me yesterday.", and then people in Rush's audience will be like ,"Who the hell is Savage?", and try to tune in. It is all just a ploy by Mike to win listeners by riding on El Rushbo's coattails. I don't know how long Levin has been around, but he seems to have a name for EVERYONE, so he really doesn't pick on just one personality because of jealousy, Levin hates everyone equally, I can't tune in to him long though, THAT VOICE............Great Googely Moogely !!!

And if you need more information on what a pathetic case Michael Weiner really is, click here.

Such a demented little hypocrite! I hope no one is silly enough to take him seriously.

Michael Weiner, Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter thrive on the mis-information and hate they spew because they know they have a built in audience too lazy to think for themselves. To take anything they say about the environment seriously-they would have to BE taken seriously in the first place. The more Limbaugh mocks the disabled; as long as Coulter says "My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building" when most people of all political stripes only regret is that he murdered children in a daycare center; as long as Savage advocates taking the vote away from women and compares Liberals to Hitler-then I don't think anyone is going to take them seriously about any serious issue such as the environment. I'm all for advocacy but I would suggest the White House distribute their talking points to more reputable advocates.

I personally can't stand Savage most times, he only has a few views, when it comes to "America first", that I only truly agree with him. I find him to be dead wrong about most topics he tries to tackle, and then spews out how many degrees he has at the same time trying to say that he always talks in "Layman's terms". Whatever.

However, I also agree with him that the Earth is NOT in any kind of "global crisis", and I will not get into to "as why" because I know no matter how I show it to you, I will not gain in converts, so it is pointless for me to expound on it.

1. i agree with you about savage. can't stand the guy either
  2. disagree with you on global warming, but that is why we have forums like this ... to knock around different views and possibly even learn something about the other person's point of view. you might be surprised how i have changed my thinking on certain topics, but hearing a wide range of opinions, and hopefully i have been able to influence others about their points of view.

Global Warming Trend Continues in 2006, Climate Agencies Say

By ANDREW C. REVKIN

Published: December 15, 2006

A decades-long global warming trend that most climate experts say is linked to rising levels of heat-trapping smokestack and tailpipe gases continued apace this year, according to summaries issued yesterday by several national and international climate agencies.

Figures differed slightly, with British weather officials and the World Meteorological Organization, based in Geneva, estimating that 2006 would end up the sixth warmest year since modern records began and NASA scientists putting it fifth.

But all of the reports noted that temperatures greatly above normal were recorded in places as varied as Australia and Scandinavia

Archived