scary new changes in the earth's eco-system

houstonmacbro

I keep looking at that McCain/Palin tag with their photos, and all I can think is a billboard in some market like El Paso, saying

your news and weather --when it matters!

5, 6 and 10 pm.

Yeah, it's not my favorite either. McCain's ads and bumper stickers aren't very compelling, graphically. And I'd prefer one without Palin on it. But at the same time, I think that (at least) three HAIFers have already adopted the same one lends an effect of solidarity to a campaign that needs it, strategically.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Slowdown of coral growth extremely worrying, say scientists

* James Randerson, science correspondent

* guardian.co.uk, Thursday 1 January 2009 19.18 GMT

Coral growth across the Great Barrier Reef has suffered a "severe and sudden" slowdown since 1990 that is unprecedented in the last four centuries, according to scientists.

The researchers analysed the growth rates of 328 coral colonies on 69 individual reefs that make up the 1,250 mile-long Great Barrier Reef, off north-east Australia. They found that the rate at which the corals were laying down calcium in their skeletons dropped by 14.2% between 1990 and 2005.

"Our data shows that growth and calcification of massive Porites in the GBR [Great Barrier Reef] are already declining and are doing so at a rate unprecedented in coral records reaching back 400 years," wrote Dr Glenn De'ath from the Australian Institute of Marine Science in Townsville, Queensland, and his colleagues in the journal Science.

Link

• 2 weeks later...
while we squabble over whether gays can marry, what's in paris hilton's purse, whether madonna will be able to legally keep a black baby adopted from africa, and did OJ really murder nicole (and why it should or shouldn't be a book or be shown on fox) ... the world is literally falling apart around us and before our very eyes.

i guess it's easier for most people to get absorbed in the stupid stuff, than to take a really hard look at what is happening to us all.

Pace of Global Warming Causes Alarm

'Very different and frightening world' coming faster than expected, scientists warn

by Seth Borenstein

Animal and plant species have begun dying off or changing sooner than predicted because of global warming, a review of hundreds of research studies contends.

These fast-moving adaptations come as a surprise even to biologists and ecologists because they are occurring so rapidly.

At least 70 species of frogs, mostly mountain-dwellers that had nowhere to go to escape the creeping heat, have gone extinct because of climate change, the analysis says. It also reports that between 100 and 200 other cold-dependent animal species, such as penguins and polar bears, are in deep trouble.

"We are finally seeing species going extinct," said University of Texas biologist Camille Parmesan, author of the study. "Now we've got the evidence. It's here. It's real. This is not just biologists' intuition. It's what's happening."

full story here: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/1121-09.htm

Right now we happen to be in an interglacial period and none of this global warming crap will matter much when the next ice age begins.

Rising sea levels threaten East Coast

Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:18pm EST

By Jasmin Melvin

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sea levels on the United States' mid-Atlantic coast are rising faster than the global average because of global warming, threatening the future of coastal communities, the Environmental Protection Agency said on Friday.

Coastal waters from New York to North Carolina have crept up by an average of 2.4 to 4.4 millimeters (0.09 to 0.17 inches) a year, compared with an average global increase of 1.7 millimeters (0.07 inches) a year, the EPA said in a report. As a result, sea levels along the East Coast rose about a foot over the past century, the EPA's report, commissioned by the Climate Change Science Program, said.

Floods will probably cause more damage in the future as higher sea levels gradually erode and wash away dunes, beaches and wetlands that serve as a protective barrier. Consequently, homes and businesses would be closer to the water's edge.

Link (Reuters)

I was born in 1961 in Canada and I have seen change in my lifetime. We were taught ecology in elementary school, this was predicted. It's been know for over 49 years. Will you people get your heads out of the sand and wake up.

It's common sense! Just read this and be honest with yourself! Please read this I've seen enough in my life time. I want something left for the coming generations of inhabitants of this planet! Please.

Linda

I was born in 1961 in Canada and I have seen change in my lifetime. We were taught ecology in elementary school, this was predicted. It's been know for over 49 years. Will you people get your heads out of the sand and wake up.

It's common sense! Just read this and be honest with yourself! Please read this I've seen enough in my life time. I want something left for the coming generations of inhabitants of this planet! Please.

Linda

Welcome to HAIF, lindaj448.

I, too, grew up in the north. When I was a child, Canada geese always flew south for the winter. In the past few years, they've taken to sticking around instead. The winters just aren't as long or severe as they used to be.

One more thing; people are probably going to disagree with you. Please don't take it personally.

Archived