If We Build It, They Will Come

marc

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, I was only responding to Niche's blanket criticism of every UH architecture student there ever was.

To every general statement, there are specific exceptions. But if I don't already know the architect very well from previous professional experience, I will screen by school. The odds are just higher that I'll retain my sanity when working with an Aggie architect.

Looking at a map of Downtown Houston, I would put the tower along one of these surface parking spaces on the Red Line, about two blocks down from the Pavilions site:

HoustonDowntownBuilding.jpg

It wouldn't have a spire, but the top would look like the top of Philly's Comcast Center:

050113stern1.jpg

I would make the bottom three floors retail, then on top of that, we would have a third of the building commercial, then the next third a hotel, then the next residential. Then, have two top floors for an observation deck.

I would want the building to be between 1,050-1,150 feet. Then have about 90 floors. So, 3 floors would be retail at the bottom, then the office would be 29 floors, then the hotel would be an additional 29 floors, then the residential would be another 29 floors. Then, add two more floors to have the observation deck. That would put the building at 92 floors.

I will do it :). I promise. I just got to get my ass in college first (got three years left).

Don't forget after spending five years or so in architectural school you must then do your apprenticeship followed by you taking your nine or so exams then you are a liscensed architect. I believe your apprenticeship is another two or so years after you graduate. Of coarse then you must build your career. It is highly unlikely that someone that just got their liscense will be allowed to head up a major project like the skyscraper that you described. Not to say that you would not work on one though. It is more likely that you might be designing the stair details, bathroom stall details, or mechanical room details first. It comes down to that old saying "You must crawl before you can walk". I don't want to discourage you or anyone else though. Stay optimistic, and you will succeed at what you want to do. I am sure most everyone wants to see new structures go up downtown and all around town for that matter.

As for me, I enter graduate school in the fall of 08 and doing a double major at that, masters of architecture, and masters of community development. Sadly architecture has taken away some of my social life becauce of its long late hours of working on projects. :wacko: I just keep reminding myself that it will payoff in the end. B)

Actually, the Jiffy Lube Fire Station was designed by an architect who specializes in fire stations out of California. The design is in response to a city request for a "retro" fire station look. The tower is supposed to be reminiscient of the old hose drying towers.

After the initial design, it was given to a local firm to clean it up and finish it up. A friend of mine (a Coog) worked on it and still cries about what a clusterf**k the design was.

okay, now i am intrigued. where is this located?

Don't forget after spending five years or so in architectural school you must then do your apprenticeship followed by you taking your nine or so exams then you are a liscensed architect. I believe your apprenticeship is another two or so years after you graduate. Of coarse then you must build your career. It is highly unlikely that someone that just got their liscense will be allowed to head up a major project like the skyscraper that you described. Not to say that you would not work on one though. It is more likely that you might be designing the stair details, bathroom stall details, or mechanical room details first. It comes down to that old saying "You must crawl before you can walk". I don't want to discourage you or anyone else though. Stay optimistic, and you will succeed at what you want to do. I am sure most everyone wants to see new structures go up downtown and all around town for that matter.

As for me, I enter graduate school in the fall of 08 and doing a double major at that, masters of architecture, and masters of community development. Sadly architecture has taken away some of my social life becauce of its long late hours of working on projects. :wacko: I just keep reminding myself that it will payoff in the end. B)

I know that. You start out with a two story condo first.

^^^Trae,

The good thing about being a budding architect is that while going through the long process of becoming "well known" and sought after, you get to experiment with styles that appeal to you, develop your own style, use the school's extensive resources (such as computer graphics and model materials) to create your own visions. Personally, i think it would be good to have that time in order to come into your own, so you don't have to copy other styles you admire. Know what i mean? Yes, it is a long road; but a road with a goal or rather, a signature skyscraper, at the end of it. Hang in there kid! ;)

• 4 months later...
I'm 16. I want to go into business, real estate, and architecture once I get into college, though.

I have them narrowed down:

1.USC

2. UGA

3. Houston

4. UCLA

5. Texas

6. GA Tech

7. A&M

Trae, I can only give you a first hand opinion of UH architecture as I went there. At UH I think the two obvious strengths include you would be getting the value of a design school vs. a Construction Mangement type of program but but you also get to use the city of Houston and all of its amenities. Many projects and many studies were directly related to improving the city and certain portions of the city (Museum District, Theater District, downtown district, 3rd Ward, etc.). You are given the opportunity to work directly with the leaders of these districts and it was really an educational experience especially if you are interested in Houston and the future of the city and it's components. Also we would have field trips to landmark buildings and other notable buildings under construction. So location should be a consideration.

Many of my studio professors had positions at notable firms around the city so they also taught what you need to do to move a project along from a business sense as well as an art/architecture sense.

With that said I think the main advantage for UH is its diversity- especially- International Diversity. I met people from literally all around the world, and many professors are from different parts of the world and they bring in different philosophies as well. I've had classmates take studios where they worked on projects as part of an international competition and spent some time understanding the site and city.

With that said, I've worked with some graduates from Texas A&M, Prairie View, Texas Tech, and others but I can't speak intelligently about their programs. Texas A&M is a fine school that is more vocational and less avant garde and I suppose urban design oriented - which is fine if that part of architecture interests you. This is definentely extremely valuable in learning how buildings are put together. The only problem I see with graduates from Texas A&M is that their undergrad program is not accredited so they have a tough time obtaining their license as you need a degree from an acrcedited program to sit for the exam.

Utlimately the decison is yours- at this point try to figure out what is important to you and what you hope to gain and then look for a program that fits. Good luck.

Call me crazy and say I'm out of my mind, but I would love for Houston to have the tallest building in the world.

I don't think you are crazy BUT think about how that would look. Burj Dubai is going to be over 2000 ft.

If Houston was to acquire such an icon, it would tower (at least) twice as tall as the JPMorgan Chase tower.

I honestly don't think it would enhance Houston's skyline, but rather, seem a ridiculous monolith dwarfing all the surrounding skyscrapers. AND one must consider cost and need. AND God forbid, what if it is tall, but the design is hideous?!! Then we are stuck with it for decades with no hope of other skyscrapers blocking it.

As many know- i still stand by my "grand vision" for DT. I would LOVE a 1500 footer with a spire on top, a skyscraper around 1000 ft. that resembles shards of glass (similar to the Millenium Tower concept of London) and then a bunch of mid-rises, no more than 400-500 feet of award winning designs to fill in the gaps.

After talking with so many knowledgable posters in this forum, i have realized that Houston built her "supertalls" when other similar cities were being shy. Now, filling in those parking lots with midrises and maybe one or two over 800' highrises, would, in the long run, add continuity to DT. I look at Atlanta. Yes, some of the skyscrapers are nicely designed, BUT they are so spread out, that the urbanity of its DT is lost in the spread. Now, Atlanta is filling in the gaps, and it is starting to look like a really dense area. I would like this to happen in Houston as well.

On the one hand, i think it is cool that Houston has several "mini-downtowns" or urban centers with highrises clustered together at significant spots throughout the city. On the other hand, could you imagine if DT filled with midrises, the corridor from DT to MT filled up with midrises and maybe one 800 footer along the way, the inner loop started building more midrises like Kirby Place and the Royalton, UT builds another tall one to rival Williams Tower as well as some 30-40 storey highrises and add that to the midrises and one highrise filling up the energy corridor?? Imagine, depending on the angles from which it would be viewed, Houston would look like an urban monster! Albeit an attractive monster, but the effect would rival the urbanity of LA and NY.

m.

Actually, I was only responding to Niche's blanket criticism of every UH architecture student there ever was. I have nothing against Aggies. In fact, I root for them against the Longhorns when they play, although I used to root for a tie but that is no longer possible...

That said, I am a Statesman...

Fight on for Hobart

Geneva's varsity

Fight on for Hobart

And claim that Victory

For it's F-I-G-H-T

Shout it out with Glee

Hip! Hip! Hobart

The best you'll ever see

From the Shores of the Finger Lakes

High up on the Hill

We're the men of Hobart

Gonna take another Swill

For it's D-R-I-N-K

We're gonna win Today

Hip! Hip! Hobart

Hoooooo-raaaayyyy.

H-O-B

A-R-T

Headin' to another Victory

Hobart Statesmen

Win

Aaaaahhhh-gain!

(swerving abruptly back off topic)

No wonder you have an appreciation for architecture! Geneva is such a beautiful little city.

Agreed. I'd like thousands of 10-20 story buildings instead of a couple supertalls. Houston needs density now.

Yeah, when you put it like that... :rolleyes:

Even the Taipei 101 only has about 3.8 million square feet. The average 10- to 20-story office building in Houston has 263,724 square feet. A thousand of those (even though you said "thousands", plural) would be 263.7 million square feet, as opposed to two supertalls (assuming similar size to Taipei 101) totalling a feeble 7.6 million.

If you're going to offer me these two options, I'll take the one that is 34.7 times more space. But if I get to choose, I'll opt for diversity of height, ranging from single-family and little bank buildings on pad sites all the way up the spectrum to at least one supertall. You say "Houston needs density," I say Houston needs everything. We'll get neither, of course, but that is my preference.

Yeah, when you put it like that... :rolleyes:

Even the Taipei 101 only has about 3.8 million square feet. The average 10- to 20-story office building in Houston has 263,724 square feet. A thousand of those (even though you said "thousands", plural) would be 263.7 million square feet, as opposed to two supertalls (assuming similar size to Taipei 101) totalling a feeble 7.6 million.

If you're going to offer me these two options, I'll take the one that is 34.7 times more space. But if I get to choose, I'll opt for diversity of height, ranging from single-family and little bank buildings on pad sites all the way up the spectrum to at least one supertall. You say "Houston needs density," I say Houston needs everything. We'll get neither, of course, but that is my preference.

I know someone was going to take that as a literal proclamation. :P

(swerving abruptly back off topic)

No wonder you have an appreciation for architecture! Geneva is such a beautiful little city.

Geneva is a great little city. I fell in love with the HWS campus the moment I stepped on it. From the views over Seneca Lake to the main academic quad to the women's college cluster on the hill; it's a beauty. Houghton House also has to be the best art house setting too, complete with a sunken garden. Also, the row of homes on South Main Street is stunning (rainbow row). I was lucky enough to live in one during my senior year. Don't forget the old Smith Opera House downtown, the Belhurst Castle Winery, the Rose Hill Mansion, the Prouty-Chew Museum, and the Geneva-on-the-Lake Resort.

So much history remains up there. It makes me extra sorry that I grew up in a city that doesn't appreciate her own past.

So, is Houston Centre going to be 800' tall??? Anyone know anything about this? Sorry, Houston City Centre!

I don't think you are crazy BUT think about how that would look. Burj Dubai is going to be over 2000 ft.

If Houston was to acquire such an icon, it would tower (at least) twice as tall as the JPMorgan Chase tower.

I honestly don't think it would enhance Houston's skyline, but rather, seem a ridiculous monolith dwarfing all the surrounding skyscrapers. AND one must consider cost and need. AND God forbid, what if it is tall, but the design is hideous?!! Then we are stuck with it for decades with no hope of other skyscrapers blocking it.

As many know- i still stand by my "grand vision" for DT. I would LOVE a 1500 footer with a spire on top, a skyscraper around 1000 ft. that resembles shards of glass (similar to the Millenium Tower concept of London) and then a bunch of mid-rises, no more than 400-500 feet of award winning designs to fill in the gaps.

After talking with so many knowledgable posters in this forum, i have realized that Houston built her "supertalls" when other similar cities were being shy. Now, filling in those parking lots with midrises and maybe one or two over 800' highrises, would, in the long run, add continuity to DT. I look at Atlanta. Yes, some of the skyscrapers are nicely designed, BUT they are so spread out, that the urbanity of its DT is lost in the spread. Now, Atlanta is filling in the gaps, and it is starting to look like a really dense area. I would like this to happen in Houston as well.

On the one hand, i think it is cool that Houston has several "mini-downtowns" or urban centers with highrises clustered together at significant spots throughout the city. On the other hand, could you imagine if DT filled with midrises, the corridor from DT to MT filled up with midrises and maybe one 800 footer along the way, the inner loop started building more midrises like Kirby Place and the Royalton, UT builds another tall one to rival Williams Tower as well as some 30-40 storey highrises and add that to the midrises and one highrise filling up the energy corridor?? Imagine, depending on the angles from which it would be viewed, Houston would look like an urban monster! Albeit an attractive monster, but the effect would rival the urbanity of LA and NY.

m.

True, but look at the contrast of the Williams Tower to the rest of uptown Houston. Look at the way the Twin Towers imposed over lower Manhattan, and the way the Freedom Tower will look. The design I would have in mind would absolutely not be hideous, though. And if possibly there was another building a few hundred feet shorter, it wouldn't seem so exaggerated. It's obviously not necessary now, but as the years go on and there's a surge in the economy, ideas like these are what we need to make Houston stand out.

True, but look at the contrast of the Williams Tower to the rest of uptown Houston. Look at the way the Twin Towers imposed over lower Manhattan, and the way the Freedom Tower will look. The design I would have in mind would absolutely not be hideous, though. And if possibly there was another building a few hundred feet shorter, it wouldn't seem so exaggerated. It's obviously not necessary now, but as the years go on and there's a surge in the economy, ideas like these are what we need to make Houston stand out.

Most definately we need another iconic skyscraper, IMHO. The idea of building TWO (one supertall and one a bit shorter near it with perhaps a similar design) would be great. I am thinking of the newest supertall in Hong Kong with its smaller twin next to it. To me THAT skyscraper would have worked well in DT Houston. (BTW, it is the 2 International Finance Center). i guess my worry was that Houston would build a supertall, but with its prudence in building large structures, the supertall would completely dwarf and overshadow other fantastic buildings in the vicinity for decades. I guess i had a vision, not so much of the Freedom Tower or even the Williams Tower, but more along the lines of Tapai 101 or Petronis Towers. They are great structures, yes, but completely dominate the surroundings as to look out of symetry. Make sense? :huh:

Houston needs a landmark. Why not a tall good looking skyscraper? Look what Patronas towers did for Malaysia.

It would be cool, but everyone would be against it. I saw a PBS special on St. Louis' Arch. Many people were against it, thinking it was a waste of money and a lot of other reasons. But now look at what people think of it. It's a world-class monument and everyone loves it.

It would be cool, but everyone would be against it. I saw a PBS special on St. Louis' Arch. Many people were against it, thinking it was a waste of money and a lot of other reasons. But now look at what people think of it. It's a world-class monument and everyone loves it.

Well there is a difference between skyscrapers and monuments. The St. Louis arch doesn't really serve any functional purpose that I'm aware of, whereas an office tower most certainly does.

The poster wasn't saying there wasn't a difference between a monument and an office. I disagree though that people would object to a landmark skyscraper. I for one would love to see one. Something that would people could see and instantly think "Houston".

I'm 16. I want to go into business, real estate, and architecture once I get into college, though.

I have them narrowed down:

1.USC

2. UGA

3. Houston

4. UCLA

5. Texas

6. GA Tech

7. A&M

if you want to get into Business go to one of the top 3. Bentley, Babson, or Bryant

They said the same thing about the Eiffel tower when it was built.

I don't know, I tend to think of landmark towers that can't be used for anything at all as a monument to waste and backwardness. After all, what kind of signal about a city is sent when one is put up? That we crave attention?

At least Dallas has a guilt trip as the justification for a JFK memorial. San Antonio and San Antonio each had the world's fair. St. Louis can attribute it to the insanity that was New Dealism. The Eiffel tower was done in the same straing of thought and had nothing to do with celebrating the city per se; the French designer even tried to get it built in Barcelona before going to Paris.

EDIT: Oops, the Jefferson National Memorial Park on which the arch sits is the New Deal project. The arch itself was an early 60's project. I guess Saint Louis gets stuck with being the home of needy losers that crave senseless attention and praise.

I don't know, I tend to think of landmark towers that can't be used for anything at all as a monument to waste and backwardness. After all, what kind of signal about a city is sent when one is put up? That we crave attention?

At least Dallas has a guilt trip as the justification for a JFK memorial. San Antonio and San Antonio each had the world's fair. St. Louis can attribute it to the insanity that was New Dealism. The Eiffel tower was done in the same straing of thought and had nothing to do with celebrating the city per se; the French designer even tried to get it built in Barcelona before going to Paris.

I agree, I mean any monument that sticks out would almost be unnecessary in houston. places like DC. have a point for monuments, and like The Niche says it is more saying look at how unique we are rather than we are honoring something here.

I agree, I mean any monument that sticks out would almost be unnecessary in houston. places like DC. have a point for monuments, and like The Niche says it is more saying look at how unique we are rather than we are honoring something here.

That reminds me, let's not forget the San Jacinto Monument! It isn't as though Houston doesn't have one...a New Deal project is our excuse...and frankly, I prefer ours to ones in San Antonio, Dallas, and Seattle. I'd say that it competes head-to-head with Saint Louis. It is certainly better than the Washington Memorial, as well. Probably one of the best examples of Moderne architecture...anywhere.

439px-San_Jacinto_Monument2.jpg

Base_of_San_Jacinto_Monument_(2001-05).jpg

San_Jacinto_Reenactment.jpg

Archived