Texas Children's Hospital Pavilion For Women/TMC Garage 21 At 6651 South Main St.

feufoma

This is big news! The renderings look pretty decent.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4270485.html

Wow! 1.32 million square feet of new space is a lot to have come in all at once. According to Texas Medical Center, Inc., the gross physical plant space of the TMC is about 26 million square feet (old number, though, so there is probably a bit more). As many projects as are now in the pipeline for that area, I'm betting that there's a good four to five million square feet either proposed or under construction.

In comparison, according to Grubb & Ellis' third quarter office report, the CBD has about 41.9 million square feet of office space. They don't count the Pavilions as being under construction yet, so they show zero construction of new office space. And to my knowledge, the Pavilions will only add about 220,000sf of loft offices...a drop in the bucket compared to the TMC's growth rate. So if we could expect for the TMC to have the equivalent of about 75% of downtown's office space by about 2010, and we allow for the TMC's current rate of growth to be sustainable and downtown's continues to be erratic, I'd entertain bets that by 2020 or 2025, the TMC could be of equal or greater size compared to downtown Houston.

Wouldn't that be odd?

• 1 year later...

Found this today while in the med center. Love the design of the neurological institute. The maternity center rendering looks updated as well. They also comment in the attached article that Fiegin center is already topped out and shoule be ready by fall 2008. The Maternity center site was cleared with the recent crown plaza implosion, and groundbreaking is scheduled for January 31, 2008. They say it will take 7 months to dig the hole beneath the bulding, and then another 7 months to build to street level! I did not realize it took that long to put in foundations for such buildings. The neurological institute groundbreaking is December 11, 2007. There will be a 2 story underground garage in that one.

post-3489-1195766477.jpg

Wow, cool! I'm sitting in an office right now in TCH looking out the window at the rubble from the old Crowne Plaza. It's clear that the Maternity center is going to be across the street from where I am, closer to the St. Luke's tower (the one with the two spires), but where is the neuro center going to be? It looks like there is a lot of room between St. Lukes and Texas Women's University, and from that rendering, the maternity center is only going to take up a fraction of it. So maybe the neuro center will be between the maternity center and Teaxs Women's University in the other half of the ex Crowne Plaza lot.

It's amazing how long it takes to dig some of those foundations and build the parking garages. The Methodist construction took an incredibly long time before they got up to ground level. Same with the Rice CRC.

Edited by Jax

The Research Center is being built on the JJ lot, between the Commons and the dental school on Moursund. This peice of property was first promised to Baylor by TMC, but Baylor gave it up when they decided to build a over next to the veteran's hospital on OST.

The whole site will be excavated from property line to property line with 4 floors of below grade parking and 5 levels of mixed use medical above. Circular crosswalks on levels 3 and 4 will connect to the TCH campus across Fannin. The maternity tower (16 levels) will be built on the north end of the base with future plans for a pediatric tower on the south. Both towers are designed to be extended 28 floors each. It's colossal.

Considering the past history of construction in the TMC, I wonder what the foundations are going to be rated for as far as the number of floors goes? There has been a number of buildings in the past that have had floors added years after completion, so it's not TOO far fetched that they might tack on 5 stories in the future.

You're right Ricco. Methodsit Hospital Dunn Tower, for example, was designed to be 20 floors, even though they only built 10 floors in 1988. The columns, elevator shafts and plumbing risers are all oversized for future vertical expansion, however, I don't see it happening to that particular building any time soon.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thank You Jan and Dan.

Yea... I wish I was a billionaire and could give millions to good causes that help the Houston community. The Duncan's do seem to be very prolific philanthropists.

EDIT: Just when I was having such good thoughts about Dan Duncan, I find out he is hosting Dick Cheney to raise funds for the Republican Party: Cheney to Visit Billionaire's Home.

Edited by wernicke

Yea... I wish I was a billionaire and could give millions to good causes that help the Houston community. The Duncan's do seem to be very prolific philanthropists.

EDIT: Just when I was having such good thoughts about Dan Duncan, I find out he is hosting Dick Cheney to raise funds for the Republican Party: Cheney to Visit Billionaire's Home.

Dan's good deeds is going to rub off on Cheney. He will be a better person after the visit. ;)

• 7 months later...

They deliver high-risk babies in there. this "baby" will have his scheduled delivery on time and in good health, as long as there are those 1 in a million pediatric diseases milling around.

When I have the time to learn how to post pictures here, I will visually update you on this fetus' milestones.

• 3 weeks later...

That first photo rocks. I love how the Rice Collaborative Bldg and Sid Richardson College Dorm creates a mini-canyon effect with the downtown view.

There is so much going on at the med center. I noticed the other night how much I like the Feigin Center addition at night. For all of those worrying about downtown being dark, the TMC seems to be the opposite as far as night time lighting goes...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...