Houston Premium Outlets Developments

citykid09

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have they started on the project yet?

Glad to see development there instead of more development in Champions/FM 1960W. Our area is being built to the breaking point.

Maybe this will pull some of the traffic off of the FM1960W area......... wishfull thinking on my part
;);)

Thank you "Mom" again for your typically negative comments. I suppose then under that logic, nobody should move to Houston as there's virtually no zoning in Harris County?

I agree that in order to save what people like about Cypress, we will need to try and incorporate or establish some sort of improvement district to regulate development before it becomes an FM 1960 or a Katy, or otherwise.

Please keep this thread on topic.

Most of Cypress is already a Katy. Only the part without trees isn't.

1960 Sun Article

Cypress residents will have a slew of new shopping possibilities available to them when Houston Premium Outlets opens in the spring 2008.

Based out of New Jersey, Simon Property Group's Chelsea division - which specializes in high-end outlet shopping - began construction on the 430,000-square-foot shopping center on the 75-acre property at U.S. Highway 290 between Mason Road and Fairfield Drive March 15.

Houston Premium Outlets will boast 120 stores housing high-quality designer and name brands and drawing shoppers from in and outside the area, said Chelsea spokesperson Michele Rothstein.

"Centers like ours not only serve the local community and the metro area," Rothstein said, "but they become tour and travel destinations."

The shopping destination will be a single-level, Southwest architectural-themed outdoor village setting with centrally located food courts, and will be the company's fourth Premium Outlet Center in Texas, joining Round Rock Premium Outlets, Rio Grande Valley Premium Outlets and Allen Premium Outlets.

"You walk around sort of like a racetrack with stores on both sides," Rothstein, "you don't see the cars as you walk, and even though you are outdoors, we have these nice overhangs that are a part of the architecture so whether it's hot or rainy, it gives you all weather shopping."

As many as 500 brands can be found in Chelsea outlets throughout the country, all of which will be considered for the new outlet center. No leases have been finalized.

The outlet center's opening will be followed by the construction of the 800,000-square-foot Fairfield Towne Center - a 100-acre project of Simon's Community-Lifestyle Center Division - which will have a mix of anchor stores, restaurants and retailers and are generally open-air shopping centers.

The project is slated to open between the fall 2008 and spring 2009 and, combined with Houston Premium Outlets, will create more than 1.2 million square feet of high-end retail space in the corridor.

"This is part of a wonderful growth area," Rothstein said, "and having a visible site with good access was very important."

Houston Premium Outlets will create approximately 800 to 1,000 jobs and is projected to generate millions of dollars in sales tax and real estate property tax revenue.

Shoppers who desire a more upscale shopping atmosphere will appreciate the improved shopping experience, said Chelsea co-president John R. Klein.

"Our trademarked concept of premium outlet shopping differentiates Chelsea centers from other outlet centers and entertainment mega malls," Klein said. "We are confident that we will be bringing together an excellent mix of upscale and high quality merchants, befitting this area's desirable demographics."

I wonder if the Future Fairfield town center will have any affect on Vintage park since they both claim to be upscale. They are really close in range. It seems like the Vintage has more of an advantage since it's right next to Champions Forest. Cypress is still too new.

Cypress residents will have a slew of new shopping possibilities available to them when Houston Premium Outlets opens in the spring 2008.

Based out of New Jersey, Simon Property Group's Chelsea division - which specializes in high-end outlet shopping - began construction on the 430,000-square-foot shopping center on the 75-acre property at U.S. Highway 290 between Mason Road and Fairfield Drive March 15.

Houston Premium Outlets will boast 120 stores housing high-quality designer and name brands and drawing shoppers from in and outside the area, said Chelsea spokesperson Michele Rothstein.

"Centers like ours not only serve the local community and the metro area," Rothstein said, "but they become tour and travel destinations."

The shopping destination will be a single-level, Southwest architectural-themed outdoor village setting with centrally located food courts, and will be the company's fourth Premium Outlet Center in Texas, joining Round Rock Premium Outlets, Rio Grande Valley Premium Outlets and Allen Premium Outlets.

"You walk around sort of like a racetrack with stores on both sides," Rothstein, "you don't see the cars as you walk, and even though you are outdoors, we have these nice overhangs that are a part of the architecture so whether it's hot or rainy, it gives you all weather shopping."

As many as 500 brands can be found in Chelsea outlets throughout the country, all of which will be considered for the new outlet center. No leases have been finalized.

The outlet center's opening will be followed by the construction of the 800,000-square-foot Fairfield Towne Center - a 100-acre project of Simon's Community-Lifestyle Center Division - which will have a mix of anchor stores, restaurants and retailers and are generally open-air shopping centers.

The project is slated to open between the fall 2008 and spring 2009 and, combined with Houston Premium Outlets, will create more than 1.2 million square feet of high-end retail space in the corridor.

"This is part of a wonderful growth area," Rothstein said, "and having a visible site with good access was very important."

Houston Premium Outlets will create approximately 800 to 1,000 jobs and is projected to generate millions of dollars in sales tax and real estate property tax revenue.

Shoppers who desire a more upscale shopping atmosphere will appreciate the improved shopping experience, said Chelsea co-president John R. Klein.

"Our trademarked concept of premium outlet shopping differentiates Chelsea centers from other outlet centers and entertainment mega malls," Klein said. "We are confident that we will be bringing together an excellent mix of upscale and high quality merchants, befitting this area's desirable demographics."

Current listing of tenants and the overall site plan:

Houston Premium Outlets Site Plan (.pdf)

Do you have a link to a more expanded view of the site plan? Something that might show the streets in relation to the building. I'm assuming Cypresswood is at the top of the page and 290 is at the bottom. I would like to see the relation of the build to Mason and Fairfield Place.

I remember when Sealy had an outlet mall, now it is a community college.

I see the same fate for this one too.

I am new here. I did not realize I could post.

As a major venture on the way to both Austin and College Station, this will most likely not turn into a college anytime soon. HOWEVER, the summer months will be a killer.

There is no way this turns into a community college. This development is like Katy Mills (on a smaller scale). Sealy was out there, and made before Katy Mills. Once Katy Mills was complete, the Sealy Outlet Mall died. There is probably more population around this development, than the population around Sealy.

the first link provided states that they are negotiating with the stores listed and will not guarantee that all stores listed will actually lease space.

that being said, i think that if half of the listed stores are on board it will be a success. the conroe outlet has spurred restaurants nearby and it isn't half as grand as this one. the location in sealy was a really bad location.

Since there are no malls in this area, which is absolutely booming, this will be a success no matter what on its own. Lots of young families, teenage kids, etc - ideal consumer demographic. Then add in the Houston people and all of the college kids coming/going via 290 to Austin, College Station, Waco and beyond and you've got a sure-fire hit.

I also like the outdoor concept.

I'm interested in seeing what they've got planned for the Town Center portion, as it is supposed to be twice the size.

Since there are no malls in this area, which is absolutely booming, this will be a success no matter what on its own. Lots of young families, teenage kids, etc - ideal consumer demographic. Then add in the Houston people and all of the college kids coming/going via 290 to Austin, College Station, Waco and beyond and you've got a sure-fire hit.

I also like the outdoor concept.

I'm interested in seeing what they've got planned for the Town Center portion, as it is supposed to be twice the size.

You'd think that development would follow northward as a result. However, if you look at development in Conroe, the major construction seems to end as you move from Conroe ISD into Willis ISD (and does not really take off again until you reach Huntsville). The same may hold true on 290. Cy-Fair ISD ends once you move north of Fairfield. Waller has not particularly developed the way Tomball has and it may take a LONG time for it to do that. That may slow down growth past Fairfield until you reach, say, Brenham.

Cy-Fair ISD is a HUGE selling point for developers with its repuation being what it is.

Since there are no malls in this area, which is absolutely booming, this will be a success no matter what on its own.

I agree -- this area is starving for decent shopping. For those of us along the nether reaches of 290, Willowbrook is just horrible to get to -- I drive all the way to Memorial City when I need to go to a mall.

The only question mark in my mind is what the proposed 290 rebuild might do to this. But if Katy Mills has survived the I-10 construction...

What new stores will be at the outlets. i can't seem to open the link. can someone list them.... please. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I cleared my directory and away went those pdfs. I'll have to find them again.

Mr. Football, I'm guessing you got those from texags (unless my link spread quicker than I thought). Are you cypressag over there?

I agree -- this area is starving for decent shopping. For those of us along the nether reaches of 290, Willowbrook is just horrible to get to -- I drive all the way to Memorial City when I need to go to a mall.

I like anything that will get the excess traffic away from Willowbrook. How fast can they get this thing done?!?!?!?

the 290 rebuild is part of the masterplan to make it at least 3 lanes from 610 to 2920....what we see now is just phase two....

alot of the 290 building we see was due to the accidents that used to happen when people crossed Becker and Bauer Road to the other side of the 290..traffic used to back up for miles because some folks lost their lives unfortunately and it eventually forced the state I think to speed up the project

I discovered the back roads as a result....

Archived