Neighborhood Crime

mrfootball

New Territory becoming gang territory?

What's the deal with all of the recent crimes in what appear to be decent neighborhoods? Are the assailants mostly Katrina people or local gangbangers? Ch. 13 says they seem to be targetting people of South Asian descent.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there is a large apartment complex in NT, so, it might be some Katrina people. However, as usual, it probably is just some local gang banger/wiggers, once again.

South Asian crime tends to be committed by other South Asians. Asians tend to distrust banks and government, so they often hide large sums of money at home. Other Asians know this, and act on it. Since there is a mistrust of government, often these crimes went unreported. It is possible that growing trust of the police is causing more of these crimes to be reported, and therefore publicized.

It is possible that other non-Asian groups have begun to target the Asians, but until some suspects are identified and arrested, it is hard to say. For instance, are the news accounts giving descriptions of the attackers?

It seems to be the trend that they follow business owners home. TOnight's news featured a man who police believe was followed home from the local Sam's Club. Should be some surveillence footage, if that is the case.

I heard that new upper class neighborhoods in the boonies get targeted for robberies for 2 reasons.

#1 Most of the home owners have both the husband and wife working, and that goes for most of the neighborhood. So it is literally empty during the day.

#2 The police are spread out more since the suburban landscape is more spread out, thus less crime patrol density.

• 3 months later...

I blame Shelly Sekula Gibbs. Ever since she started her 2 week fill-in term, things in Ft. Bend County have gone rapidly downhill. Or it could just be a sign that the blight of SW Houston is slowly creeping into Ft. Bend County, which will eventually be taken over by crime, forcing thousands of baby boomers into early retirement/assisted living homes inside the loop where it's safe. Or it could just be something that happens in ANY neighborhood once in a while. Mrfootball, you don't even live anywhere near Sugarland. Why would you be worried about their crime?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
dang! crime out there! I mean...when we moved to SW Houston the others left like we had a disease or something..if crime gets crazy, where do they go? Needville? El Campo?

Calm down, hbcu, it will get taken care of...Fort Bend is growing rapidly, and our crime problems are no different than what you see in Katy, The Woodlands, and several other burbs. Channel 13 even did a report on crime problems in The Woodlands (and the sheriff's resources being stretched very thin out there).

BTW, I hear the local GOP is looking to field someone to run against the incumbent GOP sheriff (who is at least 60-70 years of age, has been in the post for 20+ years and is the potential target of a primary challenge). BTW, SLPD recently launched a stealth vehicle (can you say gray police cruiser with all-silver trim?) in their force.

Also, if you want to get political about it, try running in Missouri City...where a lot of people are looking to challenge the incumbents there because of a number of 'special interest' controversies I have heard about (e.g. requiring homeowners to pay for sidewalk repairs, ignoring the blight of the 'East End', etc., etc.).

I grew up in an area near Mo. City but is in FB County and Houston city limits...people ran away when the area began to shift.....now they are running down 59 but one thing...crime follows...

I happened to cover Mo. City city council meetings several years ago.....obviously the "East End" (which isn't no way near as rough as an urban area) generates alot of controversy while the Highway 6 side also gets alot of attention.

The East End used to be predominately white but the businesses and residents left for one reason or another and blacks and other businesses moved in. When blacks started venturing towards Highway 6 that's when problems started because alot of businesses on 2234 were supported by them.

People who used to shop in that area that lived right outside Mo. City started going to Highway 6 or Pearland now so 2234 is caught in an odd spot.

If you want problems...ask any council member about the Fondren area of Mo. City.

• 4 weeks later...
From the reports I've seen on the news, all the Asian couples that have been followed home were old. We all know old people are the easiest for assailants to overtake in a struggle.

Not old people with shotguns. Maybe all the Asian folks need to arm themselves.

i received an email today from a coworker (who got it from her civic association) which states that older asians in clear lake are being assaulted in their driveways.

From December 27, 2006 to March 31, 2007, there have been five

robberies of individuals as they returned to their homes in the Clear

Lake area. All of the victims have been Asian females between the

ages of 51 to 76 years old. In two of the incidents, the victims were

with another person at the time of the robberies.

In the first three robberies, the suspects apparently followed the

victims home and robbed them of their purses in their driveways or at

their back doors. In the last two robberies, the suspects entered the

victims' homes. Jewelry and other valuables were then stolen from the

residences.

The suspects, described only as black males and possibly one Hispanic

male, wore ski masks in several robberies and may have fled in a dark

colored SUV.

HPD cautions all citizens to always be aware of your surroundings and

check in your rearview mirror to make sure you are not being followed

when driving. Keep your doors locked at all times and if you feel you

are being followed, drive to the nearest police or fire station. When

arriving home, pull into the garage and immediately shut the door (if

possible) before exiting your vehicle.

For any additional information, please contact Officer D. Williams

with the Houston Police Department's Robbery Division at (713) 731-5756.

• 3 weeks later...

Sugarland woman assaulted in her own driveway! Please be aware of your surroundings:

A woman was kidnapped from her driveway and sexually assaulted after returning home from a Houston nightclub, officials told KPRC Local 2.Sugar Land police said three Hispanic men attacked a 31-year-old woman in her driveway in the 2000 block of Chattaroy Place at about 2 a.m. Friday.Investigators said the men forced the woman into a car and took her to another location, where she was sexually assaulted.

The woman was later dropped off on state Highway 6 near Old Richmond Road.Detectives have not yet released descriptions or sketches of the attackers or their vehicle.Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sugar Land Police Department at 281-275-2540 or Fort Bend County Crime Stoppers at 281-342-TIPS.

Sugarland woman assaulted in her own driveway! Please be aware of your surroundings:

A woman was kidnapped from her driveway and sexually assaulted after returning home from a Houston nightclub, officials told KPRC Local 2.Sugar Land police said three Hispanic men attacked a 31-year-old woman in her driveway in the 2000 block of Chattaroy Place at about 2 a.m. Friday.Investigators said the men forced the woman into a car and took her to another location, where she was sexually assaulted.

The woman was later dropped off on state Highway 6 near Old Richmond Road.Detectives have not yet released descriptions or sketches of the attackers or their vehicle.Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sugar Land Police Department at 281-275-2540 or Fort Bend County Crime Stoppers at 281-342-TIPS.

Sugar Land is famous for Home invasion you always see on the news a house invasion in Sugar Land.

and they called my neighborhood "rough"....some folks don't realize your a target just by your neighborhood...people "assume" you have more income because your in a certain place.....think wisely before you run away

The problem is that they're getting robbed in their driveway, when the weapons and home alarm aren't of use inside the home.
and they called my neighborhood "rough"....some folks don't realize your a target just by your neighborhood...people "assume" you have more income because your in a certain place.....think wisely before you run away

This post sums up this whole thread. In this city you are a target by where you live and what you drive. There are always going to be more publicized robberies in afluent areas of town. It'll always be news to hear about people with wealth getting robbed in perceived safe places.

7 Teens Arrested in Sugar Land Home Invasion

By KEVIN MORAN

Copryight 2007 Houston Chronicle

Read Article

Sugar Land police arrested seven teenagers accused of a brutal April 19 home invasion in which the invaders held the homeowner at gunpoint while they beat him and broke his nose.

The invaders tried to go on a shopping spree that same evening at First Colony Mall but the homeowner had cancelled the credit card taken with his wallet, said Sugar Land spokesman Doug Adolph. Clues resulting from the invaders' attempts to use the card led to their identifications and a charge of aggravated robbery against each.

The men, all of Houston, remained in custody this afternoon, Adolph said.

Those arrested are: Travius Joseph, 18, Reginald Ward, 18, Jacob Rockward, 18, Jacolby Johnson, 18, Scottie Taylor, 17, Justin Cleveland, 17 and Patrick Thomas, 17.

Adolph said the teens allegedly gained entry to the man's house in the 500 block of Green Belt Drive by sending one of them to the door to ask to use a telephone for help with a broken-down car.

"He came back to the door with a telephone and was attacked by several individuals," Adolph said.

Police allege the teens also stole the homeowner's car. Sugar Land police recommend that people not open their doors to strangers, Adolph said.

Those arrested are: Travius Joseph, 18, Reginald Ward, 18, Jacob Rockward, 18, Jacolby Johnson, 18, Scottie Taylor, 17, Justin Cleveland, 17 and Patrick Thomas, 17.

Where are the parents? I have a hard time believing 7 people did this and no parents were aware.

If I was the victim of this robbery, I would love to pay those brats a daily visit to their jail cells to remind them of how pathetic they are. I'd also want to find the parents of each kid so I could show them my bruises and broken nose and ask them what they think of themselves after raising stupid children born in the late 80s who were never taught respect for others and their property.

Where are the parents? I have a hard time believing 7 people did this and no parents were aware.

Probably in jail or nowhere to be found. A lot of kids born in the late 80s grew up in really messed up households and environments. They either stayed with relatives or lived in packs on the streets like animals. You have to realize that this was when the drug known as crack really took hold in our society.

Archived