Top National Chains Not Yet In Houston

Ruby Tuesdays.

There used to be Ruby Tuesday's here...I thought they still were here. I've never tried it.

I know Rally's used to be here too -- late 80s, I think. I thought it was lame.

As far as the limited menu at In-n-Out goes, once you've tried the burgers, why would you want anything else? So good. So fresh. I'm glad you got to try the fries, though. They are the best in the world.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tower Records

H&M

Pret a Manger

Virgin Records

Carl's Jr.

I second H&M and Pret a Manger (awesome wraps!), and will add Costa Coffee out of the UK (when in London, I live on their breakfast sandwiches) and Top Shop and Mexx for clothing.

I dig the Hardees too.....

I'm sorry, but to me Carl's Jr/Hardees = barf.

I can't really think of any major chains Houston is missing. Bloomingdales maybe? There's no Virgin Records here either, but they haven't really struck me as all that spectacular.

Definitely H&M... here's hoping that they finally break into the Galleria one of these days (maybe the old Macy's store when they move into the new Foley's???)

Room & Board, which is in the Midwest and Southern California. Fantastic furniture and beautiful stores.

I would love to have a Virgin Records Megastore in Houston - and while it is not a chain - Virgin Airlines, too. If any of you ever get the chance to fly Virgin, don't pass it up... :)

There used to be Ruby Tuesday's here...I thought they still were here. I've never tried it.

I know Rally's used to be here too -- late 80s, I think. I thought it was lame.

As far as the limited menu at In-n-Out goes, once you've tried the burgers, why would you want anything else? So good. So fresh. I'm glad you got to try the fries, though. They are the best in the world.

Perhaps I was too subtle in my previous post. According to their website, there is a Ruby Tuesday's at 17117 Tomball Parkway.

Definitely In and Out, even though its not a chain. Really missed it. Trader Joe's, not my thing even though I shopped there for a year because it was the only grocery store in my area.

And I can't believe we are all talking about wanting more burger places when there seems to be one at every corner.

Why do you say In and Out is not a chain?

Perhaps I was too subtle in my previous post. According to their website, there is a Ruby Tuesday's at 17117 Tomball Parkway.

Why do you say In and Out is not a chain?

And it isn't franchised...at least it didn't used to be. They are food quality freaks and believe the only way to maintain standards is to keep locations company-owned.

according to their website, the nearest carls, jr. to houston is in van, tx (between dallas and tyler) :unsure:

I like Carl's Jr. and consider it the "better Burger King". I did the same search you did some years ago and found that location. I believe it's a hybrid burger/gas station thing (a Love's truckstop, if I remember right).

Oklahoma City has freestanding Carl's Jr. I think the closest ones heading west are Tucson. Everything east of here is Hardees, I believe. East Texas even has a few of those -- around Nacogdoches -- and probably other places. Though they have the same smiley star and corporate backing, they are nowhere as good, to me.

Perhaps I was too subtle in my previous post.

I think I was typing when you posted.

Rally's used to be in South Florida but was bought out by Checkers, which started out pretty good but has since gone down, IMO. They have locations in Louisiana and some parts of eastern Texas, though.

I'm not sure Krystal's is going to make it. You'd think by now they would've thought about expanding but they still just have the one store, which I've never seen crowded on the handful of times I'v passed by.

I'm sure I could be wrong, though.

Rally's used to be in South Florida but was bought out by Checkers, which started out pretty good but has since gone down, IMO. They have locations in Louisiana and some parts of eastern Texas, though.

I'm not sure Krystal's is going to make it. You'd think by now they would've thought about expanding but they still just have the one store, which I've never seen crowded on the handful of times I'v passed by.

I'm sure I could be wrong, though.

When I went to Krystal about a 2 months ago, it was pretty crowded.

Starbucks.

Just kidding.

I would love to see H&M as part of the Houston Pavilions downtown. That would absolutely guarantee success! They just built their second one in Boston proper along Boylston St. The original is in Downtown Crossing which is only about half a mile away.

Trader Joe's is great. The prices are amazing too. Clerks get to wear Hawai'in shirts too.

Would love to see a Filene's Basement type store (major name brand clothing from dept stores that haven't sold with prices that drop according to the date received).

I love Newbury Comics although they might just be a Massholechusetts chain. Great music selection and even better gag gifts. Not sure their liberal bend would play though...

Niketown. Not a Nike fan, but the stores are usually pretty damn cool.

It is about QUality, not quantity. But, if you can get quantity of quality, then we are on to something.

Editor, we did have Checker's for awhile, which is exactly like Rally's. Heck, the same company even built the ready-made burger shacks, that they put on the pad sites.

I'd pass on Checker's. They had a couple in McAllen briefly in the mid-90's...bit into a dead cockroach. Granted, it was McAllen...but I'm still turned off to the chain (and its affiliated chains) by the experience.

My vote is for Fat Burger. A yummy fat burger with fat fries and a diet coke :P

Where is Fat Burger currently? You've got me salivating...not too difficult a trick at the moment. I had Korean BBQ earlier tonight with my girlfriend and $40 later, I'm still not topped off.

Well, it's not a chain, but I wish Alicia's Burrito Place (Alpine, Texas) would open up a Houston location. Every time I'm in Alpine I tell Alicia she needs to do this...but she just laughs. Anything with chile...or Alicia's chili...or both...is good stuff.

Other than that...I've had Carl's Jr, and I'll tell you, I'd rather eat at McDonald's...and I don't (absolutely DON'T) eat at McDonald's. Carl's Jr struck me as a bad version of Jack in the Box, which is a very bad thing. I'll be honest, I did only have breakfast there, but it was a baaaad breakfast. I remember thinking, "I passed up the motel continental breakfast for THIS?!?" :blink:

There used to be a burger chain called "Hot N Now." It appealed to the poor segment that wasn't afraid to admit they were poor. Limited menu, but everything was 25 cents. Burgers, fries, whatever. The burgers were called "boltburgers" because of the lightning bolt in the logo. I remember the TV commercials touting, "Every Hot N Now Boltburger comes complete with salt!" Pickles, catsup, etc... were optional. I don't know how they were able to afford TV commercials.

Speaking of poor food, has anyone else seen "Po' Folks?" When I was in college, it was a chain in Pennsylvania where people of modest means could go out for a respectable dinner without feeling bad. I remember there were a few locations, but I don't think it's really taken off. But then, with this economy, now could be the time!

there is a steak n shake going in on 242/college park drive in front of college park high school in the woodlands.

what is great about it? i haven't heard of it before. what should i order when i go?

the shakes and cheese fries (especially when drunk for the cheese fries). that's about it.

though half the time their shake machine was broken (at the one location i used to frequent often) which was a big disappointment. food-wise i prefer denny's.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of poor food, has anyone else seen "Po' Folks?" When I was in college, it was a chain in Pennsylvania where people of modest means could go out for a respectable dinner without feeling bad. I remember there were a few locations, but I don't think it's really taken off. But then, with this economy, now could be the time!

We had Po' Folks here at one time. There was one on I-45 N & Parker Rd. & another on HWY 249, which was FM 149 back during that time. They had a peanut butter & jelly sammich on the kids menu. They had some country singer fella doing their commercials.

We had Po' Folks here at one time. There was one on I-45 N & Parker Rd. & another on HWY 249, which was FM 149 back during that time. They had a peanut butter & jelly sammich on the kids menu. They had some country singer fella doing their commercials.

That sounds like Hell.

Yes.

Rally's, Taco Bueno, Del Taco, Bonanza, Shakey's Pizza, Steak 'n' Shake, and Pizza Inn have all been in Houston at one time or another between now and about 1975. Of that bunch, I rather miss Rally's, SnS, and Pizza Inn. Not particularly impressed with the others. Glad to see the SnS coming to The Woodlands; anyone know how far along it is?

Surprised no one has mentioned Braum's.

Marty

Braum's!!! I couldn't think of the name to save my life! Braum's is the ice-cream parlor found in some midwest states right? I'd love to have those here. They are what Dairy Queen should be.

There are Braum's all over Dallas. Several between Texarkana and Dallas. (I only know this because I did the route 3 times last month.)

I miss Trader Joe's cookies, but I really, truly miss Wegman's. It's only a NE grocery store, but it's the best. (Death to Krystals everywhere.)

There are Braum's all over Dallas. Several between Texarkana and Dallas. (I only know this because I did the route 3 times last month.)

The Braums have pushed out every Dairy Queen north of I30 in Dallas proper. Quite annoying to this midwesterner who had never heard of Braums and thinks DQ is better.

The places me or my friends from Houston have wanted at one time or another in Houston are:

Carls Jr.

Don Pablos

On the Border

I was surprised that On the Border is in about 30 states.

jason

The places me or my friends from Houston have wanted at one time or another in Houston are:

Carls Jr.

Don Pablos

On the Border

on the border was in houston until the mid-90's.

The Braums have pushed out every Dairy Queen north of I30 in Dallas proper. Quite annoying to this midwesterner who had never heard of Braums and thinks DQ is better.

why go to dairy queen when you can go to Braums and buy yourself a half gallon of MILK???!!! :o:huh:

Carls Jr.

Don Pablos

On the Border

jason

We have On the Brder her in College Station.

We just go a new Mexican Resturant called Abuello's, Which I here has the best Mexican food anywhere.

Did Houston ever have Tinsley's Chicken 'N Rolls?

Also I think I remember someone saying that White Castle use to be in Houston?

There used to be a burger chain called "Hot N Now." It appealed to the poor segment that wasn't afraid to admit they were poor. Limited menu, but everything was 25 cents. Burgers, fries, whatever. The burgers were called "boltburgers" because of the lightning bolt in the logo. I remember the TV commercials touting, "Every Hot N Now Boltburger comes complete with salt!" Pickles, catsup, etc... were optional. I don't know how they were able to afford TV commercials.

Here is an image I found:

hotnnow.jpg

Archived