Top National Chains Not Yet In Houston

We have On the Brder her in College Station.

We just go a new Mexican Resturant called Abuello's, Which I here has the best Mexican food anywhere.

I didn't know about that OTB in College Station.

I've been to most of the Abuellos around the Metroplex and I remember them being good but I haven't been in a while because Mi Cocinas are about the same quality and they seem to be more conveniently located around here anyway.

jason

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about BEB?

"Big Easy Burger"... It was in the Old Long John Silvers location on Kuykendahl @ 1960

I guess I get the "best of both worlds" in Arizona. We have In N Out burger, Whataburger, Pappadeaux, Virgin Records, Trader Joe's.....

I wish we had GOOD barbeque (Pappas?) and maybe GOOD Tex-Mex (Pappasitos).

Yes...Houston needs to get:

Room and Board (furniture) closest to Texas in the one in Denver

Baja Fresh (owned by Wendy's corp. and is sort of a Calif-Mex) It is fresh and good though.

Rubio's - we'll EVERYONE in Houston has fish tacos so maybe this is not that big a deal

Big Boy - closet to me is one in Lake Havasua, AZ

Gordon Biersh (?) decent food and brewery - based out of the Bay Area ??

Niketown would be good as well ........

Houston has TONS of quality places actually...we are not needing much.....

In and Out burger is family owned and is based out of Irvine, CA. They are conservative, religious based organization. They are only in CA, AZ, NV.

I remember reading an article a year or two ago that said that Houston is not a good city for "chain" restaurants. The article compared Houston and Dallas, and Chili's/Appleby's/TGIFriday's, etc. don't do nearly as well in Houston as they do in Dallas. As far as restaurants go, apparently Houstonians prefer a locally-owned, non-franchise experience to that of the mega-corporate-conglomerate restaurants.

I don't really see that spilling over to the retail industry, but as far as food goes, Houston is independent-minded.

I remember reading an article a year or two ago that said that Houston is not a good city for "chain" restaurants. The article compared Houston and Dallas, and Chili's/Appleby's/TGIFriday's, etc. don't do nearly as well in Houston as they do in Dallas. As far as restaurants go, apparently Houstonians prefer a locally-owned, non-franchise experience to that of the mega-corporate-conglomerate restaurants.

I don't really see that spilling over to the retail industry, but as far as food goes, Houston is independent-minded.

Well I take that as a compliment for Houston. :D

When my family lived in Abilene I was 3 years old or so and remember a Hamburger joint called Mr. G's Hamburgers. From what I can remember at the age of 0-3 their food was good. I seriously doubt that they are a chain, but if they were thinking of becoming one I would like to see them come here. Also when we moved to S.A. from Abilene there was another hamburger place up the street from my grandparents called either Puffen Bellies or Puff and Billies Hamburgers. What ever their name was I never tasted a fastfood burger quite like that after they closed down. ^_^ I think they closed it down in the early 90's.

There aren't many chains I'd like to see here. I'm not a big national chain restaurant person -- I'd much rather eat at something that's more unique. But, based on suggestions already given, there are some chain restaurants and retail I wouldn't mind having closer to home:

Wegman's

Trader Joe's

Pret A Manger

Virgin Megastore

H&M (even though I'm too tall to wear anything they sell... but I still like the store and they'd do well here)

Room & Board (love their catalog)

Krispy Kreme

As for In and Out Burger, I've had it a few times, but didn't think it was anything too special. But I'm also not a big fast food person. And when I want a burger, I tend to like the ones served in nicer, full service restaurants better.

There's a new On The Border being built right now at 290 and Cypress North Houston over by the new Cinemark Theatre.

The article compared Houston and Dallas, and Chili's/Appleby's/TGIFriday's, etc. don't do nearly as well in Houston as they do in Dallas. As far as restaurants go, apparently Houstonians prefer a locally-owned, non-franchise experience to that of the mega-corporate-conglomerate restaurants.

This is why Houston is one of the best restaurant towns in the country. Dallas is full of corporate chain (Brinker-esque) restaurants with 'flair' laden wait people.

I really like Houston originals and local chains like Ruggles, Churrasco's, Lupe's, Escalante's, etc.

Do you by chance have a link to that article?

There aren't many chains I'd like to see here. I'm not a big national chain restaurant person -- I'd much rather eat at something that's more unique. But, based on suggestions already given, there are some chain restaurants and retail I wouldn't mind having closer to home:

Wegman's

Trader Joe's

Pret A Manger

Virgin Megastore

H&M (even though I'm too tall to wear anything they sell... but I still like the store and they'd do well here)

Room & Board (love their catalog)

Krispy Kreme

Agree with Room & Board. What is Wegman's?

Archived