Gaylynn Theater At 7115 Clarewood Dr.

old_Sharpstown

I recall watching all the stars that showed up at the old Gaylynn Theather when they premiered "Urban Cowboy". I saw Andy Warhol, Charlie Daniels, and of course John Travolta drive up. I knew the ushers and we walked the place afterwards.....bumped into the unknown Debra Winger and then tripped all over the empty wine and champagne bottles in all 3 theaters. It was a big night for that old theater.

Does anyone also remember the old Sinclair gas station at the corner of Southwest Freeway and Bellaire? We always got our gas there and also a case of Cokes (in glass returnable bottles in wooden crates). I also recall when the "Super Slide" was across the street from the Gilman Pontiac dealer.....you would slide down on burlap sacks...lots of fun.

Lastly....does anyone recall the Food Giant that use to be in the mall (where Penny's ended up being located) and does anyone recall the old Eckards (??) drug store in the shopping center on Bellaire Blvd. near Burning Tree where there use to be a Dairy Queen and where there use to be a Rice grocery store in the early 70's? That old drug store use to have a drug counter where you could get a meal and ice cream, etc. It is amazing that a fountain dining counter was in as new a neighborhood as Sharpstown!

There was also a lunch counter at Key Pharmacy in the Robindell Shopping Center (Bissonnet & Bellaire) that was there for years--probably up until they closed in the 80's. Many times I remember going there, and there was just something about those drug stores that had a feel about it you don't get anymore..

There was also a lunch counter at Key Pharmacy in the Robindell Shopping Center (Bissonnet & Bellaire) that was there for years--probably up until they closed in the 80's. Many times I remember going there, and there was just something about those drug stores that had a feel about it you don't get anymore..

Exactly. I recall as a kid walking through Sharpstown Mall and seeing those in Walgreens eating a meal in their restraurant. I always thought it might be cool to eat there and watch the mall people go by. I guess for a kid, that sounded like cool entertainment.

Does anyone also recall the Dunkin Donuts that was in the mall next to Oshmans near the Montgomery Wards end? I think Zales was next to it at the end. People would belly up to the counter and have their coffee and donuts. The place practically had people sitting IN the mall space. Kinda quaint!

I also recall when the "Super Slide" was across the street from the Gilman Pontiac dealer.....you would slide down on burlap sacks...lots of fun.

Wow! You just brought back some memories! I completely forgot about that slide. It was tons of fun though! You remember "Goodtime Charlie's" in Sharpstown Mall?

I always wondered why they premiered Urban Cowboy there. Any ideas? I saw Urban Cowboy there and others (Flash Gordon, The Elephant Man etc) and always that it was just an OK theater. Did Mickey Gilley own Gaylynn's? :D

I recall watching all the stars that showed up at the old Gaylynn Theather when they premiered "Urban Cowboy". I saw Andy Warhol, Charlie Daniels, and of course John Travolta drive up. I knew the ushers and we walked the place afterwards.....bumped into the unknown Debra Winger and then tripped all over the empty wine and champagne bottles in all 3 theaters. It was a big night for that old theater.

Does anyone also remember the old Sinclair gas station at the corner of Southwest Freeway and Bellaire? We always got our gas there and also a case of Cokes (in glass returnable bottles in wooden crates). I also recall when the "Super Slide" was across the street from the Gilman Pontiac dealer.....you would slide down on burlap sacks...lots of fun.

Lastly....does anyone recall the Food Giant that use to be in the mall (where Penny's ended up being located) and does anyone recall the old Eckards (??) drug store in the shopping center on Bellaire Blvd. near Burning Tree where there use to be a Dairy Queen and where there use to be a Rice grocery store in the early 70's? That old drug store use to have a drug counter where you could get a meal and ice cream, etc. It is amazing that a fountain dining counter was in as new a neighborhood as Sharpstown!

So this Rice grocery store at Bellaire and Burning Tree - was it right behind the Dairy Queen? Was it sort of smallish? I used to walk my dog (a rottweiler) over there when I was ten and tie him to the newspaper stand while I went in to get milk or whatever. I never could recall the name of the grocery store. Was there a laundry mat or hair stylist right next to it?

Directly to the right of the Dairy Queen there was a small gas station...

I always wondered why they premiered Urban Cowboy there. Any ideas? I saw Urban Cowboy there and others (Flash Gordon, The Elephant Man etc) and always that it was just an OK theater. Did Mickey Gilley own Gaylynn's? :D

So this Rice grocery store at Bellaire and Burning Tree - was it right behind the Dairy Queen? Was it sort of smallish? I used to walk my dog (a rottweiler) over there when I was ten and tie him to the newspaper stand while I went in to get milk or whatever. I never could recall the name of the grocery store. Was there a laundry mat or hair stylist right next to it?

No..Mickey Gilley did not own that theater (as far as I know). I believe it was one of the largest theaters in Houston still left at that time and although somewhat dated...it still had some class. It does seem strange that it was next to a Denny's and across the mall parking lot from a Foley's. Not exactly a "classy" Hollywood premiere. I believe the Tower and the Alabama theaters had already closed for movies. THose would have been more stylish places to have held that event...but they were still smaller than the Gaylynn.

Yes..the Rice grocery store was behind the Dairy Queen. There was a Weight Watcher's and veternarian next door on one side and there once was a Wacker's (?? dime store) on the other side. Later, the dime store became Sharpstown's own honky tonk..and the name escapes me now.

• 4 weeks later...

Mom and G'ma used to shop there. From Sharpstown, it was located on the left of Bissonnet right before it scissors with Bellaire Blvd. Small one-story shopping center. I remember when they got the automatic door opener pad to step on. I thought that was the coolest or grooviest thing ever! I kept making the door open and close and open and close and the manager made me stop. Mean person, man. Where's the love?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Where exactly was the Gaylynn Theater located? Is the structure still there?

The Gaylynn Theater was actually called the Gaylynn Terrace and was next to a gas station at the corner of Clarewood Dr. and the southbound feeder of the southwest freeway. There is a building there now but I cant say if it is the converted theater.

What was that the old drive in theater at Bellaire and Hillcroft? The Fiesta across the street was a Globe store at one time, if memory serves me correctly....

I think it may have been the Leows Sharpstown.

would go to that dairy queen after high school (i went to st. agnes). vaguely remember a grocery store in that strip center, though never went to it. remember a chiropracter on redding.

i also remember that sinclair station and getting a molded green dino there when i was a kid. always wish i still had that sinclair dino as i went to work for arco in the 80's and 90's (arco bought sinclair in the early 70's).

i do remember the urban cowboy premier. loved watching the movie and looking for houston landmarks. saw the movie paris, texas a couple of years ago and parts of it were filmed in houston and recognized downtown landmarks from the early 80's

No..Mickey Gilley did not own that theater (as far as I know). I believe it was one of the largest theaters in Houston still left at that time and although somewhat dated...it still had some class. It does seem strange that it was next to a Denny's and across the mall parking lot from a Foley's. Not exactly a "classy" Hollywood premiere. I believe the Tower and the Alabama theaters had already closed for movies. THose would have been more stylish places to have held that event...but they were still smaller than the Gaylynn.

Yes..the Rice grocery store was behind the Dairy Queen. There was a Weight Watcher's and veternarian next door on one side and there once was a Wacker's (?? dime store) on the other side. Later, the dime store became Sharpstown's own honky tonk..and the name escapes me now.

Yes a Wackers and a Ace Hardware were in there. The Wackers became Hondos'. My mom still lives in the 'hood behind there on Clarewood. Ussed to see some good bands in there.

• 2 years later...

I passed by that bldg. the other day. Never seen that article above before, nice b/w shots. It reminds me of the one by the Galleria (gone now)...the name excapes me at the moment, Windsor, maybe. Maybe they were built at the same time, huge lobbies.

When I was in high school, there was the Gaylynn Theatre on 11th Street in Beaumont.

" When I was in high school, there was the Gaylynn Theatre on 11th Street in Beaumont."

I lived in an apt. complex, that no longer exist, right behind that theater and St. Elisabeth as an 18 yr old. I walked to that theater more times than I can remember, then would go to Luby's for chow. Also I saw one of the Edgar brothers (can't say which one it was) and his arm candy at that theater. I will never forget the "cowboy boots" he wore.... Outrageously cool! 11th St. was our cruising street. Lol Moved from that area in 1978 to an apt. complex near Sharpstown mall, always thought it was cool to have my Galynn to go to again. Side note: I saw the first, and to date only, movie I've ever walked out of at the Galynn Theater at Sharpstown, "Days of Heaven" all because Mr. Evert had highly recommended it. Wow what a flashback...Man. Lol

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/10827

http://www.cinematour.com/picview.php?db=us&id=36206

• 9 years later...

Crazy memories.  I used to work at the Gaylynn theatre.  I believe the terrace was the biggest theatre with balcony seating.  After the last show we would go clean the aisles and look for loose change.  Mr. English would sometimes let me go up to the storage room and grab a couple of movie posters.  Still got my Animal House and Saturday Night Fever posters somewhere.  At the time Urban Cowboy came out, pops was working at KILT and I believe they were promoting the event.  After the movie we all loaded up and headed to Gilley's.  Got to hit the punching bag, ride the bull, and have my first Billy Beer.  At the time I lived at Demoss and Fondren, so I ended up on the wrong side of Bellaire and had to go to Robert Lee HS.  Also did a bunch of hangin' at Good Time Charlies, worked at the James Coney Island and Herfy's (which later became I think Whataburger).  Thanks for sharing.

• The title was changed to Gaylynn Theater At 7115 Clarewood Dr.

Archived