Residential With Retail On W. 11th St.

springcityparts

On 2/7/2023 at 3:01 PM, s3mh said:

There was a plan to build a medical office on the north side of the street, but it was met with opposition when the plans had the main driveway crossing the hike and bike path.  It fizzled and nothing has happened since then.

Why not? If someone on the trail got hit by a car while crossing 11th St, s/he immediately get taken care of here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If only there was a way to engineer multi-modal infrastructure that allowed for safe transit for cars, bikes, and pedestrians! 

But real talk, I think it was gonna be a mid rise - like 6 stories or so and all just doctors offices. It was a super odd pitch for the lot and location. And from the renderings not pretty and stuck out like a sore thumb.

10 hours ago, chempku said:

Why not? If someone on the trail got hit by a car while crossing 11th St, s/he immediately get taken care of here. 

No, they would writhe in pain on the ground while the administrative assistant verified insurance coverage only to then be told that the next available appointment with the Dr. was in three weeks.  The only good news would be if it was one of the doctors who hit the pedestrian.  Then there would be deep pockets for the plaintiff's lawyer instead of having to just take the auto policy limits.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/11/2023 at 3:00 PM, 004n063 said:

Jeff Speck is always worth reading, even if the result is usually an overwhelming sense of hopelessness. 

Overwhelming sense of hopelessness?  My goodness, the drama.  Look around and observe how much improvement has been made and continues to be made right here in Houston.  Houston has installed/is installing an amazing amount of safe bicycling infrastructure and continues with traffic calming, street diets and pedestrian enhancements all over the place . . . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Overwhelming sense of hopelessness?  My goodness, the drama.  Look around and observe how much improvement has been made and continues to be made right here in Houston.  Houston has installed/is installing an amazing amount of safe bicycling infrastructure and continues with traffic calming, street diets and pedestrian enhancements all over the place . . . 

Oh I'm actually very happy with how much progress the city has been making over the last five years or so. But Speck is not a guy who seems impressed by much of anything.

Like the Not Just Bikes guy, he's very incisive, but his perspective on Sunbelt cities is...gloomy.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Oh I'm actually very happy with how much progress the city has been making over the last five years or so. But Speck is not a guy who seems impressed by much of anything.

Like the Not Just Bikes guy, he's very incisive, but his perspective on Sunbelt cities is...gloomy.

I take everything Speck writes with a grain of salt.  He’s very sloppy, to put it nicely, to the point most of his stuff is not worth reading.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:51 PM, Houston19514 said:

Yep, it's def becoming more and more common place to see a bike lane or pedestrian infrastructure inside the Loop. I'm expecting to see an even greater amount this year. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Residential With Retail On W. 11th St.