Montrose Car Care - 3709 Montrose Blvd.

hindesky

This building on Montrose has been slowly removing the brick and now an excavator his finishing off the building. It's considered part of a Houston Historical District- Audubon Place and will have to be rebuilt according to standards set by the district. When I first moved here the area wasn't a Historical District but a few years after it became one. Before that we had 4 townhome complexes go in. After it became a Historical District any new homes have be built to that standard and 2 have.

Edit: The Historical District Map shows it's a non contributing lot, I wonder if that will change what can or cannot be built. 

pn2uEyI.jpg

Lw2rt22.jpg

nr0BLAL.jpg

JhoPyQo.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Would be a great spot for an independent book store!

It was a "non contributing" building of the Historical Audubon District standards, I wonder if now that it was torn down will any new construction have to be a "contributing" building according to the Historical standards?

Edited by hindesky

• 1 month later...

I talked with the owner of the Chevron about this property. He said he was ready to sign the paperwork to buy it but owners of the now closed Montrose Car Care came in with a $100,000 more and outbid him. He said they are building a mechanics shop. The property wraps around the Chevron in an "L" shape. I also told him to check HAIF if he wanted to keep up with projects around town.

O8pBgDe.png

ptviu5n.png

QVBvh8I.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with one of the guys building this and he told me his uncle worked at the old Montrose Car Care and they are building an auto glass shop here and when finished will build an auto mechanic shop on the lot on 3709 Montrose. 

C1eVcTB.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 3709 Montrose Blvd.
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Planning Commission deferred this. Neighbors in the area spoke against it because they were all associating this plat with the windshield business around the corner. They blamed the shoddy work on that building and the left over construction material on it as an excuse for them to deny this plat. They may have the same owner but the meeting was supposed to be only about this plat and not anything else. I think it will eventually be approved. The staff of the Planning Commission wanted to approve it but the NYMBY's caused it to be deferred.

4wYfzAv.png

rtkDHJV.jpg

50ctaVB.jpg

pksibYt.jpg

jrwsFMn.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently took my car to Montrose Automotive in the Museum District to have some work done on it. Some of the workers and managers from the old Montrose Car Care (Montrose @ W. Alabama, soon to be Clark's) transferred over there when the original shop closed. It was going to take a couple of hours so one of the workers drove me home. They called when it was ready and the former manager of Montrose Car Care was the one who picked me up. I asked him about the new mechanic's shop that is planned behind the Chevron. He confirmed it was him that is behind the new shop. Originally the shop facing W. Alabama was going to be an auto glass repair shop but he decided that it will become the parking area for the mechanic's shop that is going to face Montrose Blvd. Said they are going to demo the work that was already done.

He still has to get approval from the Audubon Historical District for the building they plan to build.

This permit is for water/sewer demolition of the W. Alabama building.

jxpDqqX.png

INIcLEb.png

Hmmmm I guess I'm confused. I think there is a department within COH that might have dealt with the developer concerning  requirements of renovating within an Historical designated district before now...........seems bewildering that developer waited so long. .....or that no one tattled on developer for building before getting permission-.

There is something else that confuses me. I live within Avondales West historic designated district. I have never been aware that a committee of people function under that name=>Avondale West Historic District. So I was confused when your source explained that approval of Audubon  Historic District was needed.  Is there a group of people that function under that name?

I want to post this here also

really COH is overextending trying to deal with lots and lots of details here and there.....

why not have a "civilian board "that makes decisions.......

Well it's a shame there is no neighborhood........Audubon  historic or avondale historic or whatever...that would have a bit of influence on how new residences are built. Businesses are one thing- but new residences that paid tribute to older architecture would make for a more pleasing aesthetic. Or perhaps more of a bite back on the cost payback.......it would be great if it were more difficult/costly  to tear down useful houses and throw up 6cheap townhomes on same property. This is what( my historic home preservation tunnel vision?) I've observed within Avondale anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 6:19 PM, hindesky said:

Proposed plat for Montrose Car Care.

yGodxfE.pngMsfy93m.png

You could be a Gerry Hines and start out by building independent book stores with mechanics' parking lots tucked underneath.

But you know...if that parcel for parking is smaller than the Montrose parcel, and the latter is 7700 square feet, it is likely that the brokerage sign in your first photo for five buildings, marketing most of an acre (acre is 43560 square feet) of ground, sale or lease and together or in part, was a larger ell shape including some "contributing properties" on the block.  Even those properties have a lot of their back halves open for their parking.  

You can introduce your mechanic to your gas station owner to your crane operator friends.  It's bound to be the first hotel whose parking garage will include valet auto repair and inhouse refueling while-you-read-and-wait in the sunny independent bookstore off the hotel lobby cafés.

Edited by strickn
The return of the public living room that lodging used to be.