Jump to content

Software update - October 16, 2020


Recommended Posts

In the post body, on the lower right side, you will see a "Other Media" drop down menu. This prompts you to insert image from URL.

 

At this time, you cannot type out the image code? You will have to select the drop down menu every time you want to add an image.

 

NQs0Aaa.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Highrise Tower said:

 

Yes.

 

Let me know if you are having further issues.

Ok, sounds like the way I post on reddit, I plan on riding and taking pics on Saturday, hopefully it will be an easy transition to the new method.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the new feature where it shows gaps between posts like "2 weeks later" or "1 month later", and the "new posts" line is more visible too.

 

My only complaint is the topic listings are too narrow so most thread titles wrap onto multiple lines.  Thankfully I was able to create a Greasemonkey script to resolve this, by widening the thread listing.  What I did in my Greasemonkey script was put in a addGlobalStyle method (search Google for an example you can copy and paste) and then call it with this, adding 300 pixels to the default 1340 pixel width:

 

addGlobalStyle(':root { --container--width: 1640px !important; }');

 

Basically it goes from this:

 

rWkwU6w.png

 

To this:

 

lvc3G7m.png

 

Full script looks like this:

 

// ==UserScript==
// @name     HAIF widen
// @version  1
// @grant    none
// @match *://www.houstonarchitecture.com/*
// ==/UserScript==
function addGlobalStyle(css) {
    var head, style;
    head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
    if (!head) { return; }
    style = document.createElement('style');
    style.type = 'text/css';
    style.innerHTML = css;
    head.appendChild(style);
}

addGlobalStyle(':root { --container--width: 1640px !important; }');

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 8:41 PM, Highrise Tower said:

In the post body, on the lower right side, you will see a "Other Media" drop down menu. This prompts you to insert image from URL.

 

At this time, you cannot type out the image code? You will have to select the drop down menu every time you want to add an image.

 

NQs0Aaa.jpg

 

Where's this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, zaphod said:

It looks good. I'm glad you guys continue to invest in this site.

 

Will BBCode being eliminated break older posts? Not that it bothers me, I'm just curious.

 

I think the old BBCodes were converted to the new message format.  At least when I did the software upgrade, it spent about 30 minutes churning through all of the old messages.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:27 PM, rechlin said:

I like the new feature where it shows gaps between posts like "2 weeks later" or "1 month later", and the "new posts" line is more visible too.

 

My only complaint is the topic listings are too narrow so most thread titles wrap onto multiple lines.  Thankfully I was able to create a Greasemonkey script to resolve this, by widening the thread listing.  What I did in my Greasemonkey script was put in a addGlobalStyle method (search Google for an example you can copy and paste) and then call it with this, adding 300 pixels to the default 1340 pixel width:

 

addGlobalStyle(':root { --container--width: 1640px !important; }');

 

Basically it goes from this:

 

rWkwU6w.png

 

To this:

 

lvc3G7m.png

 

Full script looks like this:

 


// ==UserScript==
// @name     HAIF widen
// @version  1
// @grant    none
// @match *://www.houstonarchitecture.com/*
// ==/UserScript==
function addGlobalStyle(css) {
    var head, style;
    head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
    if (!head) { return; }
    style = document.createElement('style');
    style.type = 'text/css';
    style.innerHTML = css;
    head.appendChild(style);
}

addGlobalStyle(':root { --container--width: 1640px !important; }');

 

 

Oh wow, 1640px!  You've got way better kit than I do.  I'm still rocking a 2011 MacBook Air with a 1366x768 screen.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My knowledge of computers is, how you say, not good. That being said, I don't understand how come when I attempted to upload a photo from my clipboard, it was rejected with the message "File exceeds 108 kbs" 
Even I know that's a ridiculously small file. Obviously the beautiful photos that are posted on HAIF on a regular basis greatly exceed that amount. 
What causes me to get this error message?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people on here post their photos to a third party service such as imgur or flickr, and then copy a link to their photo on that service and paste into the post box.  The forum itself limits your uploads to a very small number (something like 2 MB? It's been awhile) and as you upload stuff it uses that allocation.  For example, I only have 15 kB left of storage on HAIF, but I can post unlimited photos that I host elsewhere.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Most people on here post their photos to a third party service such as imgur or flickr, and then copy a link to their photo on that service and paste into the post box.  The forum itself limits your uploads to a very small number (something like 2 MB? It's been awhile) and as you upload stuff it uses that allocation.  For example, I only have 15 kB left of storage on HAIF, but I can post unlimited photos that I host elsewhere.

Thanks! I get it now. 
Suppose I wanted to copy these uploads to flickr, repost, and delete the originals to regain some space. Is there a file I can access that shows the places where my allocation has been used?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@@editor The activity stream no longer has the option to go to the first unread post and there is no option to go to the first unread post in the threads themselves. What's up with that? Was that broken by the update?

 

Edit: Scratch that. I just found out you buried this in the user settings of all things.

Edited by Big E
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...