Out Of Closet Thrift Store At 1435 Westheimer Rd.

Luminare

Finally, someone is reusing this building. This entire corner of Westheimer and Mulberry has been dead for some time. This is that building with the famous multi-colored art wall with the dripping paint that every girl has to take an instagram photo in front of haha.

The main tenant looks to be a niche thrift store called "Out of the Closet". Apparently there will also be offices for a Pharmacy and some kind of Healthcare foundation. Biscuit is on the wall, so are they involved? Is this there project?

@CrockpotandGravel Anyway you would be able to fix this mess of uses? haha A lot seems to be going on here.

Here are some images:

BuootJC.jpg

ezDaQ2Z.jpg

2puOxQs.jpg

LkY4w2L.jpg

2puOxQs.jpg

Dang I was hoping maybe Half Price Books would take over this building in anticipation of moving out of their current location when that time comes...

and haha about the instagram comment! I shot a model there the first week they created it then never again! 🤪

Really excited about Out Of The Closet! For several reasons! Mainly because it’s a nice nod to old Montrose (thrifting, lgbt) but their cause is amazing, too! Love businesses that put the community first. U can get tested and shop while you wait for your results. Saw the flyer for them maybe about four or five months ago when I went to Teahouse off of Shepherd and Westheimer. Glad to see it’s coming to fruition.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:03 AM, midtowndweller said:

Really excited about Out Of The Closet! For several reasons! Mainly because it’s a nice nod to old Montrose (thrifting, lgbt) but their cause is amazing, too! Love businesses that put the community first. U can get tested and shop while you wait for your results. Saw the flyer for them maybe about four or five months ago when I went to Teahouse off of Shepherd and Westheimer. Glad to see it’s coming to fruition.

Agreed. While the hood is shifting and changing, the alternative crowd and LGBT crowd will always stick around. Its nice that these kinds of stores are starting to reenter Westheimer and Montrose. A bunch of the older more general thrift stores have gone, and now we are getting a lot of niche stores, which is better and they can focus on more specific looks. We definitely need more though. I was bummed when Buffalo Exchange moved to Shepherd (even though its still close to me), but we need another store like a Buffalo Exchange on Westheimer. With this latest revival trend along this street maybe we will get more options, finally.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:23 AM, midtowndweller said:

GLFYNdP.jpg

The separation in the window frame really threw off my reading of that graphic haha. At first I read "Free HIV" and was like...."wait, what?"..."Testing. Oh Free HIV Testing. That makes more sense."

• The title was changed to Out Of Closet Thrift Store New Mixed-Use Retail: 1435 Westheimer Rd.
  • The title was changed to Out Of Closet Thrift Store At 1435 Westheimer Rd.

Archived