Bowen River Oaks: Multifamily High-Rise At 2020 Westcreek Ln.

Straight TRASH design  - reminds me of M5250 on Westheimer across from the Galleria (ONLY WORSE). This is why Houston needs some sort of Architectural Review Committee. 

Compare this design to what Lennar is currently building in Atlanta’s Buckhead area (which is very similar to Houston’s Uptown) to see why this sickens me! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Literally looks like a Holiday Inn..... from the looks of it, it looks like they went with one side taller than the other to prevent blocking the balcony views from Arabella? I just don't understand because this would essentially be another gateway to the River Oaks district, and THAT is what they want to put up? People were saying Arabella is poorly designed but at least its modern, has a unique shape and isn't the standard brown & beige exterior like this

My favorite part is the pool facing south which will eventually be blocked :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stone said:

Straight TRASH design  - reminds me of M5250 on Westheimer across from the Galleria (ONLY WORSE). This is why Houston needs some sort of Architectural Review Committee. 

Compare this design to what Lennar is currently building in Atlanta’s Buckhead area (which is very similar to Houston’s Uptown) to see why this sickens me! 

Its their first design here. Its not bad. Is it a masterpiece no. I actually expected a lot worse. I would also say yes to ARC's if I didn't know the reality which is the fact that it slows development and puts to many cooks into the kitchen when it comes to design. I rather give companies more freedom to design what they want. The only time I'm all for design committees is when it comes to infrastructure as that is something that needs the extra time and care to get right. Other than that more power to those who have a stake in the actual project. An ARC has zero stake in the project and in the end it keeps more projects from being built than it should.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I'm not sure I agree that the Atlanta design is better. I actually like how the "Bowen River Oaks" design is more broken up. Giant superblock buildings like the Atlanta design are not generally my favorite. 

And as to ARCs - I think the form-based regulations to be (hopefully) associated with the Walkable Places and Transit Corridor ordinances are a better, more predictable, consistent, and speedy approach than individual architectural reviews for every new building.

Right? I mean its not that much better. They are also very different in building mass. Completely different projects. Its pretty unfair to compare both. Two different contexts as well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Luminare said:

Its their first design here. Its not bad. Is it a masterpiece no. I actually expected a lot worse. I would also say yes to ARC's if I didn't know the reality which is the fact that it slows development and puts to many cooks into the kitchen when it comes to design. I rather give companies more freedom to design what they want. The only time I'm all for design committees is when it comes to infrastructure as that is something that needs the extra time and care to get right. Other than that more power to those who have a stake in the actual project. An ARC has zero stake in the project and in the end it keeps more projects from being built than it should.

Crest at Taylor is Lennars first project here. They broke ground there before Bowen at River Oaks.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...