Writing Utensils (Pens, Pencils, etc.)

Twitter1

I have a few fountain pens that used to see daily use in the workplace - a Pelikan M605 and a couple of entry-level Watermans that always performed very well despite their comparatively low price. I also have a 1940s-vintage Sheaffer Balance that had been restored by its previous owner and got more sparing use. I have had (and still have) an interest in acquiring a few more vintage pens, but as an incurable collector, other competing demands have taken precedence. 

These days, I most often reach for a cheap Uni-Ball gel pen when I'm making quick notes, but if you have to write in longhand at length, nothing compares to a fountain pen. If you've never tried one, you will be amazed at how much easier it is to write with compared to a ballpoint, once you've adjusted your frame of reference - you barely have to touch the nib to the paper, with practically no pressure compared to a ballpoint, and as a result your hand is far more relaxed.

Fountain pens are certainly a lot more fiddly in terms of operation and maintenance, and writing in longhand is in general not nearly as common as it used to be, but I'm kinda surprised they have yet to experience a renaissance among hipsters. And for the environmentally-conscious, they have a clear advantage over disposable plastic ballpoints. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Cursive writing (especially when done with a fountain or dip pen) is so much more expressive than any font.
My understanding is that it's no longer taught in schools; good to know that others haven't abandoned it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

I'd like to buy my first fountain pen. Don't need a luxury $300 pen, but something to start. Believe the Pilots and others are $30 - $60.

They're so pretty! Well.. the array of color inks you can get. Classy writing :ph34r:

My usual recommendation for a first fountain pen would have been a Waterman Phileas, but they appear to have been discontinued. You can still find them on eBay but you may have to be patient and lowball a few bids to avoid paying too much for one, as the prices have definitely gone up since they're no longer made by the factory. They used to be available for $20-30 or so when Waterman was still making them, and they also came in sets for people new to FPs which contained several cartridges, a converter, and a bottle of ink in addition to the pen itself. This one would be a good buy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paris-France-WATERMAN-PHILEAS-Fountain-marble-blue-Pen-set-new-unused-in-box-w-p/263764213806

A Phileas with a medium nib is a great pen for daily use, and will outperform many other far more expensive pens. 

Edit: Here's a great overview of the Phileas:

https://fromthepencup.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/a-pen-with-personality-the-waterman-phileas-fountain-pen/

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, samagon said:

I got a nice hefty pen for my 15 year service anniversary at work (well, that wasn't all I got, but it was in the bag).

It takes parker refills, but I still prefer using pencil.

Lucky you...all I've gotten so far are lapel pins and the opportunity to get a cheap watch with the company logo ( I passed on that one).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

My preferred pencil for Calcs and hand sketches. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-GraphGear-Automatic-Drafting-PG525A/dp/B0006HXQXA/ref=pd_nav_hcs_rp_3/132-6079608-3184022?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0006HXQXA&pd_rd_r=5911a193-1dc9-4a8e-a9ed-f011b52fcb4f&pd_rd_w=zk5q2&pd_rd_wg=JorHd&pf_rd_p=e2b07937-4c65-432e-8b25-e6411ed7f503&pf_rd_r=AR9E0YTJ07MKC91FFTM0&psc=1&refRID=AR9E0YTJ07MKC91FFTM0

I have a 0.5, 0.3, 0.7 mm, 0.9mm pencils. For pens I use the Pilot Precise V5s, I have multiple colors. 

I have a weird process that I have to exhaust all the ink in a pen before starting on the next pen. My pens get beat up as a result, but my system works haha. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

I have a weird process that I have to exhaust all the ink in a pen before starting on the next pen. My pens get beat up as a result, but my system works haha. 

That's not weird - it's just not being wasteful. 👍

13 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

My preferred pencil for Calcs and hand sketches. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-GraphGear-Automatic-Drafting-PG525A/dp/B0006HXQXA/ref=pd_nav_hcs_rp_3/132-6079608-3184022?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0006HXQXA&pd_rd_r=5911a193-1dc9-4a8e-a9ed-f011b52fcb4f&pd_rd_w=zk5q2&pd_rd_wg=JorHd&pf_rd_p=e2b07937-4c65-432e-8b25-e6411ed7f503&pf_rd_r=AR9E0YTJ07MKC91FFTM0&psc=1&refRID=AR9E0YTJ07MKC91FFTM0

I have a 0.5, 0.3, 0.7 mm, 0.9mm pencils. For pens I use the Pilot Precise V5s, I have multiple colors. 

I have those mechanical pencils. Have you tried the Pentel Graph 1000 series?  It has a heavier weight to it. 

Took a quick collection photo. The highlights are the Uni Kuru Toga Roulette, rOtring 600, and Pentel Graph 1000.

AHA2eAk.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2019 at 10:36 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

I have those mechanical pencils. Have you tried the Pentel Graph 1000 series?  It has a heavier weight to it. 

Took a quick collection photo. The highlights are the Uni Kuru Toga Roulette, rOtring 600, and Pentel Graph 1000.

AHA2eAk.jpg

I love it - Great photo! I have all those P200 Series pencils as well. However I dont use them as often, more of my field pencils.  I'll have to check out the Pentel graph 1000.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

20200205_031355.jpg.17197e56009b5845a841d866ede6fa7d.jpgHi everyone. I just came across some old pencils and pens. This one I'm posting here tonight is a pencil type. I have no idea what year or type, or who makes this pencil. I've been looking around the internet trying to find out more about it, but when i try to lookup the name on the pocket clasp I come up with nothing. So I figured my best bet would be to ask the experts and collectors here. I've attached some pictures here. I welcome a solution to my dilemma here . I'm an antique pocket watch and wristwatch collector so this is out of my league. Thank you.

20200205_020803.jpg

Edited by 63notapolitician
Add pictures
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 63notapolitician said:

20200205_031355.jpg.17197e56009b5845a841d866ede6fa7d.jpgHi everyone. I just came across some old pencils and pens. This one I'm posting here tonight is a pencil type. I have no idea what year or type, or who makes this pencil. I've been looking around the internet trying to find out more about it, but when i try to lookup the name on the pocket clasp I come up with nothing. So I figured my best bet would be to ask the experts and collectors here. I've attached some pictures here. I welcome a solution to my dilemma here . I'm an antique pocket watch and wristwatch collector so this is out of my league. Thank you.

20200205_020803.jpg

That looks like Cyrillic letters in the name, maybe somewhere in Eastern Europe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 63notapolitician said:

20200205_020803.jpg

Is it possible it is associated with Judaism?

• 8 months later...

Uniball Mitsubishi released a new gel pen this year called Uniball One. The ink formula is different.

https://www.tokyopenshop.com/gel-ink-pens-c-11/uniball-one-p-2819.html

Introducing the Uniball One with new innovative bold and bright ink. This pigment ink is formulated to sit on top your paper rather than absorb and disappear into the paper. The result is a bold bright ink that doesn't fade.

I bought the 0.38mm size in an 8-pack.  It's a very nice gel pen. I don't feel the scratchiness of the very fine 0.38mm size.

oFcAxXM.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...