Montrose1100

• 1 month later...

A request as time permits. What are the physical address' for both hosp'? The old 1 that was torn down on Allen Prky and the existing 1 under renovation?

I would like to look locate them both thru Google maps.

Speaking of Google maps have any of you used both the satellite and hybrid aerial features? Pretty amazing photgraphy. Take a peek @ some of the skyscrapers down town. particularly JP Morgan & Tx. Commerce both @ 75 flrs ea. Man watt a shadow they cast across the landscape.

Respectfully

Danny Mac

Yeah, the Google maps are pretty cool. We've come a long way since Terraserver.

This page shows the address for the original Jefferson Davis Hospital: 1101 Elder Street.

I believe the other Jefferson Davis Hospital was at the location where the new Federal Reserve building is on Allen Parkway. I stood nearby and watched the second Jefferson Davis Hospital be imploded. Amazingly, I took no photographs. That was pretty stupid, even for me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There are some little treasures inside the building that I hope survived the renovation.

Cenikor used it as its headquarters in the early 1970s. Some newlyweds that lived there drew a tree on one of the walls to liven up their drab room.

I was told that some of the people living there refused to go into the basement because it appeared haunted. On the upper floors you could hear conversations even though no one was nearby. However, I think that may have been because of the way the building was designed, which made it easy for sound to travel down the hallways from one end of the building to the other. (That's what some people have surmised.)

Graffitti scrawled by patients can also be found in at least one room. A patient apparently etched his name on one of the walls back in the 1940s.

Ah well, at least one of the graves outside the building was sort of left intact!

No! When this place was open medicine had not progressed that far yet. Now they may have done some of that at the secnd Jeffdavis Hospital that use to be on Allen parkway.

But, to me personally, it's a shame that hospitals are distinguished between those that provide for people who have insurance and those that don't. I think that L.B.J. and Ben Taub should be commended. Everyone needs health care, no matter if they have money or not.

• 3 months later...
I know they're rennovating JDH but does anyone know if they've completed it yet? and if its too late to maybe....umm... go take pictures....yeah

The rehab is well underway but I don't know how far along they are with it. They've done a lot though, because the old JDH already looks a lot better than it did a year ago.

It's the Elder Street Artists' Lofts now. http://www.elderstreetartist.com/

Edited by FilioScotia

I know they're rennovating JDH but does anyone know if they've completed it yet? and if its too late to maybe....umm... go take pictures....yeah

All you can take pictures of s the outside now. The main building is completed with residents residing in the place now. The only building that has not been really touched is the old boiler building out back. The rest of the property is private property now. I am afraid about the only way anyone will ever got to see the inside will be to either become a resident or know a resident who will take you inside. Or look at my pictures that I took as they were renovating the old girl.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, the Google maps are pretty cool. We've come a long way since Terraserver.

This page shows the address for the original Jefferson Davis Hospital: 1101 Elder Street.

I believe the other Jefferson Davis Hospital was at the location where the new Federal Reserve building is on Allen Parkway. I stood nearby and watched the second Jefferson Davis Hospital be imploded. Amazingly, I took no photographs. That was pretty stupid, even for me.

My dad was born I think at the other Jeff Davis Hospital in September 1946. Does anyone have any picutes of that building? I would love to see where my dad was born. He also lived in Allen Parkway Village Apartments when they were new until he was like 10 or something. They later meved to Pasadena where he grew up.

My dad was born I think at the other Jeff Davis Hospital in September 1946. Does anyone have any picutes of that building? I would love to see where my dad was born. He also lived in Allen Parkway Village Apartments when they were new until he was like 10 or something. They later meved to Pasadena where he grew up.
I remember when i was 5 my brother was born there. It had weird green doors with circle type windows...inside.

My dad was born I think at the other Jeff Davis Hospital in September 1946. Does anyone have any picutes of that building?

e_bb_2501_pub.jpg

You can find more pictures Bob Bailey took of Houston at this Web site (scroll down).

He also lived in Allen Parkway Village Apartments when they were new until he was like 10 or something.

Yep. My dad lived there, too. Back then, it was called San Felipe Courts. Kenny Rogers also lived there as a kid.

e_bb_2501_pub.jpg

You can find more pictures Bob Bailey took of Houston at this Web site (scroll down).

Yep. My dad lived there, too. Back then, it was called San Felipe Courts. Kenny Rogers also lived there as a kid.

My mom went to nursing school there. She roomed in the dorm buiding in the background until she married my dad and moved into San Felipe Courts. Unfortunatly all the photos were lost when Allison destroyed my parents home.:(

e_bb_2501_pub.jpg

Thanks for the info. I think it is a really great thing that we can go back and see what things looked like back then. It was a little before my time. :D

This section of the Wood map from 1869 shows the future home of the old Jeff Davis Hospital, The City Cemetery. Newspaper editorials of the day in that era railed against the deplorable conditions of the old cemetery. I just don't know if I would want to live on top of a graveyard. What does Feng Shui have to say about that?

City_Cemetery_1869.jpg

• 1 month later...
Were there 2 or 3 separate locations over the years? The very old original on Elder Str, a replacement somewhere on Buffalo Bayou {now Allen Prkwy?} and a 3rd some where south and west of City Hall?

Respectfully, Danny

There were just two JD's. The old original on Elder, which has found new life as a loft apartment building. Then there was the bigger JD Hospital on Allen Parkway, on the property now occupied by the new Federal Reserve Building.

A'propos of nothing in particular, that hospital on Allen Parkway was the county's only charity hospital for decades before Ben Taub was built in the Medical Center in the 1960s. It was where you went for care if you couldn't afford a private hospital or doctor. Even after Ben Taub opened, JD stayed open to take the spill over from Ben Taub.

Over its lifetime, countless medical students at Baylor COM and UT Galveston did internships and residencies at JD. As recently as the 70s, my sister in law, who graduated from BCOM in 1976, was pulling med student residency shifts in the ER and OB ward at JD. It was finally closed sometime in the 80s and just sat there decaying until the county sold the property to developers a few years ago.

Even in its state of decay, the old JD starred in at least one movie. Robocop II was filmed in Houston, and it was, arguably, one of the worst movies ever made. A number of its scenes were shot inside the old JD.

• 1 year later...
aside from being a neat place to live and all, i still get the heebie jeebies around there. maybe it's all in my head though :blink:

Don't blame you, Sevfiv...the pics I took a while back (in it's decayed state) showed many an orb! If you believe in that kind of thing. If there was ever a bldg. in Houston that should be haunted, it should be that one! Considering what's sitting underneath it...I think the "Ghost Hunters", you know those plumber guys on cable, need to come & check it out. :ph34r:

If anyone wants a peek at life in JDH during the early '60s, check out "The Hospital" by Jan de Hartog.

UH has Jan de Hartog's papers with some Hospital material - might be interesting to see.

Don't blame you, Sevfiv...the pics I took a while back (in it's decayed state) showed many an orb! If you believe in that kind of thing. If there was ever a bldg. in Houston that should be haunted, it should be that one! Considering what's sitting underneath it...I think the "Ghost Hunters", you know those plumber guys on cable, need to come & check it out. :ph34r:

I know someone who lives there now and she says she hears weird things all of the time.

To this day, it was (pre-redevelopment) the creepiest place I have been to in Houston so far.

I know someone who lives there now and she says she hears weird things all of the time.

To this day, it was (pre-redevelopment) the creepiest place I have been to in Houston so far.

I have so been wanting to get back in to the building and do another investigation and interview some fo the residentsd. Many of them seem to closed mouth whenever anyone starts talking about weather itr is haunted or not. I was once contacted by one resident who wanted to talk about some things but one day he stopped returning my messages or answering his phone. I would love to add some pictures to my collection of what the place looks like now that people actually living in the building.

I know that I put these up somewhere else on this board but here are the semi finished pictures of the inside again.

DSCN0556.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg

DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0672.jpg

DSCN0671.jpg

38cd7497.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

DSCN0643.jpg

DSCN0642.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Interesting footnote. I own a gurney from the first Jeff Davis Hospital. It came out of a pile of junk from when Artspace was just starting up, and it features a bed that slopes towards the head and toward the corners; there are holes in the corners; that's where blood is supposed to drain.

I've slept on it a couple times. Depending on where I end up in the next couple months, it could be my permanent bed. Mostly, though, I'm just using it as a workbench right now.

Interesting footnote. I own a gurney from the first Jeff Davis Hospital. It came out of a pile of junk from when Artspace was just starting up, and it features a bed that slopes towards the head and toward the corners; there are holes in the corners; that's where blood is supposed to drain.

I've slept on it a couple times. Depending on where I end up in the next couple months, it could be my permanent bed. Mostly, though, I'm just using it as a workbench right now.

That creeps me out. :o