Montrose1100

it was bulldozed alot later then 1989. maybe 1998 or later. i remember going to the hospital and walking around. the car i was driving was a 1998 model.

Yeah, I should have said closed in 1989 and was later bulldozed.

For the record, demolished in 1999. http://www.houstondeco.org/1930s/jeffdavis.html

Edited by kylejack

• 8 months later...

So anyone have any new pics of this wonderful place for us all to see?

I'll do you one better, you can tour it yourself a few weekends from now for the Art Crawl. It is stop 13. http://www.artcrawlhouston.com/

The units are leased to artsy sorts at affordable rates. There has been some controversy because some not very art-oriented people have been able to get into some units.

Edited by kylejack

I'll do you one better, you can tour it yourself a few weekends from now for the Art Crawl. It is stop 13. http://www.artcrawlhouston.com/

The units are leased to artsy sorts at affordable rates. There has been some controversy because some not very art-oriented people have been able to get into some units.

Heh... That describes a buddy of mine.

Not surprising. "Leasing to artist at affordable rates." is usually a euphemism for "If you have the right connections you can get a good deal on an apartment."

Actually, I think at the time he got in, the only requirement was that you make less than $30k per year.

It's sort of a pyrrhic victory.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, the Google maps are pretty cool. We've come a long way since Terraserver.

This page shows the address for the original Jefferson Davis Hospital: 1101 Elder Street.

I believe the other Jefferson Davis Hospital was at the location where the new Federal Reserve building is on Allen Parkway. I stood nearby and watched the second Jefferson Davis Hospital be imploded. Amazingly, I took no photographs. That was pretty stupid, even for me.

I was born here in the 80's and came across this on the internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNXDF2hOR3Q

I doubt that you were born at that hospital unless you are in your late 70's to 80's

You were probably born at the other Jefferson Davis hospital that use to be on Allen Parkway. It was built on top of an old cemetary as well. As for the rest of your story? Well it is possible.

What cemetery would that be? I've never heard that story.

Just that Allen Parkway Village, previously San Felipe Courts (public housing project) located near the hospital, was the site of recent excavations from an old city cemetery.

Edited by NenaE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know the original was posted a while back, but I am just coming across this site and post. I was doing some net searches about the old hospital. I have some pics i took back in march. ATM I can only find these two. I have more that I took a few days later when I came back w/ my good camera and my husband. The two I have to share now are from my G2. If it is wanted I can look around for the others as those are better. Plus my husband is not as much of a chicken and will actually get out of the car. They are only of the old boiler house ( I was told that was the old crematorium)and the old nurses house (?). I didn't really bother the complex proper. The ones I am posting are only of the boiler house.post-10379-0-37106400-1319126655_thumb.j

post-10379-0-04441600-1319126682_thumb.j

I last visited about a yr ago, but I remember thinking the boiler house would make for a unique residential renovation project.

It seemed to be in fairly good shape.

It was in terrible condition and that was as of March.

It was in terrible condition and that was as of March.

Do you guys see the bldg. in the top rt. corner of post # 119...I have pictures of it...it's cool. Witnessed the little houses across the street slowly vacate. Very sad.

The bldg. I speak of, was seen in a Sanborn map listed as some city records type of bldg. Can't recall exactly what it said. Will look it up, again.

Edited by NenaE

The bldg to the right, top says: Harris County Library in B

Probation Offices 1st

School Board Offices 2nd

It's a very old bldg, sitting on a hill or slope.

Notice the bldg. directly behind the Main Jeff Davis Hospital says: Board of Public Welfare.

Edited by NenaE

DSCN0564-1.jpg

Elder St. & Dart St. (Very sloping land)

DSCN0565-1.jpg

Houses across the street..notice the roses blooming. Sad picture... history being lost. This photo was taken a while back.

Doubt the houses are still there.

The b/w Sanborn Insurance Maps in the previous posts are provided by the Houston Public Library archives - online.

Anyone can look the Houston areas up, online, all you need is a current library card no.

That is neat. I did not know you could look that up on their website. Then again I have never been to their website. I do have a library card. I don't go that often though. The ones closest to me are tiny and don't have much. Plus I believe they close kinda early. I prefer to go to the main branch downtown.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to Jefferson Davis Hospital At 1101 Elder St.