Astroworld Plot Redevelopment News

editor

bounded by an interstate highway

More like strangled by an interstate highway. Like I said, the traffic patterns worked when Astroworld only need one way in and out. Even today Kirby north under 610 is a killer.

I almost bought a home near Stella Link and 610. Excessive Loop 610 noise was the deciding factor.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the townhome construction around Buffalo Speedway on the south side of the Loop may be an indicator of what will eventually come of the former Astroworld site. Speculations have always been there concerning some residential components south of the Astroworld site once the rail was completed. The Astroworld land sale might just speed it up.

isn't it really home to decontaminated toxic materials? not only along 610, but by bellfort as well? what about superfund projects?

I believe that was all oil field down there, so yeah, there would be some environmental concerns in that area.

Not to mention, there are also old landfills down there as well. I believe much of that land used to be the City dump.

Rest assured, any potential buyer will do the appropriate environmental assessments before closing on the land. What I remember from school is that under CERCLA legislation, ALL owners of a tract of land are potentially liable for any contamination of the tract...regardless of whether they were responsible or not, and ignorance is not a defense. A potential buyer must do their Phase I (and probably in this case Phase II) Environmental Assessments, lest they become financially responsible for a multi-million dollar cleanup.

There are several former or current oil fields in southern and southeast Houston, hence the large gaps of undeveloped land you can see on any street map. I'm with 'Coog, however; I'd want to have some extensive soil sampling and soil remediation done before I committed to anything big down there.

OTOH, there have been a couple of developments to move forward in south Houston along 288 over the last year or so, specifically south of Airport Blvd. If the COH has records, I'd be interested to know the history of those developments to see if they did soil sampling, environmental safeguarding and the like.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

OTOH, there have been a couple of developments to move forward in south Houston along 288 over the last year or so, specifically south of Airport Blvd. If the COH has records, I'd be interested to know the history of those developments to see if they did soil sampling, environmental safeguarding and the like.

Without checking any records, I can guarantee you that the developers did their homework on potential environmental issues before they bought the property.

They don't necessarily do it out of a concern for future residents, but it has HUGE liability potential all over it. At a minimum, the developers check the history of the site, do field surveys, and check for existing environmental problems nearby that may affect their property.

Remember Brio? Or more specifically, remember the hundreds of acres of subdivisions that used to sit next to Brio? THAT'S what developers are trying to avoid...

Also, those new subdivisions going up near 288 between 610 and BW-8 are on the City of Houston water system, which is derived mostly from surface water. Point being, those new subdivisions are not pumping groundwater (which could potentially be contaminated by the historical uses of the sites as oil fields and landfills) for drinking water. Their water is coming from Lake Houston like the rest of us.

ohh brio...let's take a look back about twenty years:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1985_8058

bleh!

yep...bleh...now you can buy homes over there (or near it) again since it has been "remediated"!

and closer to the Astroworld area...Kennedy Heights

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1994_1183630

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2000_3208113

Just passed by the site and its getting close to being clear. That's a huge chunk of land. What do yall envision being there? I see an extremely upscale midrise community right there. Makes sense.

I drove by today, and they have made a dent, but it will clearly be a few months before that land is even close to being "cleared". I would say 1/6 of it is "cleared".

I drove by today, and they have made a dent, but it will clearly be a few months before that land is even close to being "cleared". I would say 1/6 of it is "cleared".

Yeah I said that cuz a lot of the big rides I was used to seein there have already been taken down. Does any1 know how big the entire tract of land is?

Just passed by the site and its getting close to being clear. That's a huge chunk of land. What do yall envision being there? I see an extremely upscale midrise community right there. Makes sense.

Realisticly: A large mixed-use development with bad copies of bad architecture. Lots of parking lots and box stores. More crap.

Ideally: A park with LOTS of trees.

B)

That area doesn't look too promising based on what's already along the freeway around there. Aside from the stadium itself, it's mostly junk. By the way, does anyone know what they're going to do with the Texas Cyclone? That thing was practically a landmark!

That area doesn't look too promising based on what's already along the freeway around there. Aside from the stadium itself, it's mostly junk. By the way, does anyone know what they're going to do with the Texas Cyclone? That thing was practically a landmark!

I believe I heard that the Texas Cyclone can't be relocated due to it being such a complex wooden roller coaster. So it seems like this is the end of the road for it. :( So it's anyone's guess on how they would deal with all that wood.

I believe I heard that the Texas Cyclone can't be relocated due to it being such a complex wooden roller coaster. So it seems like this is the end of the road for it. :( So it's anyone's guess on how they would deal with all that wood.

Not cool!!! Too bad they couldn't incorporate it into whatever big box, strip center, car lot, or monster billboard development that ends up going in over there. It'll probably be tacky enough anyway, so why not add in a roller coaster?!!

Not cool!!! Too bad they couldn't incorporate it into whatever big box, strip center, car lot, or monster billboard development that ends up going in over there. It'll probably be tacky enough anyway, so why not add in a roller coaster?!!

Exactly.

B)

Does any1 know how big the entire tract of land is?

+/-110 acres.

An imaginative developer could try to keep some of the existing "street" layout of Astroworld and save the trees in those areas. I also imagine that the existing water features will stay in place.

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

...or integrate it into the light rail system. WHEE!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...