Niko Niko's At 2520 Montrose Blvd.

lovett19

I noticed on my way home from work yesterday that the building that once stood adjacent to Niko Niko's newer (expanded) parking lot had been razed. I think it used to be a 1-story office building with darkened glass doors. Funny how you can't remember something that stood there for years. :-(

Does anyone out there have info on what may be in store for that lot??

Lovett19

<br />Second that...I believe that one of the apartment buildings was purchased and razed for additional parking. I have friends whose big old Craftsman now has a view of Montrose (not that this is any worse than a view of the old apartment building).<br />

the way business is going, they can probably build a substantial garage with their restaurant and other retail and make a killing from weekend traffic alone.

• 1 year later...

I noticed on my way home from work yesterday that the building that once stood adjacent to Niko Niko's newer (expanded) parking lot had been razed. I think it used to be a 1-story office building with darkened glass doors. Funny how you can't remember something that stood there for years. :-(

Does anyone out there have info on what may be in store for that lot??

As you can see, by now, it was demolished to create more spaking space. I was a bit surprised when I saw it taken down because with it came down a 20' mural I had painted on the North side: "Parking"

post-1114-1241554656_thumb.jpg

What I've always wondered was how Niko Niko's was able to get a permit considering how close their patio is to the road. I could be mistaken, but I don't think code enforcement normally grants these types of variances often.

Edited by infinite_jim

What I've always wondered was how Niko Niko's was able to get a permit considering how close their patio is to the road. I could be mistaken, but I don't think code enforcement normally grants these types of variances often.

Dimitri is supposed to be a pretty big cheese in the Montrose Blvd Association. I guess he knows how to throw his weight around, he he he. :P

• 5 months later...

The entire packed restaurant was dead silent except for the TV during the segment. As soon as it ended everyone was cheering and Dimitri (who is wearing a blond spiky wig ala Guy Fieri) was beaming like a kid getting applauded for winning the spelling bee. Now he's going around high fiving everybody and shaking everyone's hand.

Also: You see a lot of people of Greek heritage any time you come to Niko Niko's but holy moly there's a lot of Greeks here tonight! One old Greek man was smoking a cigarette (indoors in the expansion room, hahaha!) and pulled on my shirt to ask me to step aside so he could see the TV even though the segment wasn't on yet. I didn't have the heart to tell him smoking is banned in Houston restaurants.

A nice lady (looks Greek but sounds kind of...British?) who sometimes takes my order at the register came around and gave me some honey balls and wowzers the honey balls are really fantastic tonight!

Good for them! It was a nice piece. Kyle, eat the shanks! I am a fan of lamb shank and they do some of the best. If you don't like lamb but want the same seasoning, get the pork chops. Outstanding pork chops. I could slather a dead man's leg in their tsatsiki sauce and eat it, OMG it's so garlicky and good.

That was gross. I'll stop now.

Also: You see a lot of people of Greek heritage any time you come to Niko Niko's but holy moly there's a lot of Greeks here tonight! One old Greek man was smoking a cigarette (indoors in the expansion room, hahaha!) and pulled on my shirt to ask me to step aside so he could see the TV even though the segment wasn't on yet. I didn't have the heart to tell him smoking is banned in Houston restaurants.

A nice lady (looks Greek but sounds kind of...British?) who sometimes takes my order at the register came around and gave me some honey balls and wowzers the honey balls are really fantastic tonight!

Might have been Dimitri's mom.

Might have been Dimitri's mom.

Nah, young lady, late 20s or early 30s. Dimitri's mom is hilarious, though. She never takes my order anymore but sometimes I see her around in a wheelchair just hanging out. She cracked me up when she took orders. She would bellow, "FRRRRRENCH FRIES, RRRRRRICE OR POTATOES?" and if you took even a moment to think she'd hit you again, "FRRRRRENCH FRIES, RRRRRRICE OR POTATOES?!?!"

Niko Niko's has good food and large portions, but the seating is claustrophobic. It's worse than the coach seats on an airplane. Personally, I prefer Biba's One's a Meal for my Greek fix. The seating situation is much more comfortable.

I remember hearing once before that Niko Niko's was planning on building a second floor to open up the seating a bit. Any truth to that rumor?

Actually, Bibas doesn't own Ones a meal, he simply owned the building. Being a semi regular there, they explained the entire drama going on with them and Biba.

I think the food has improved a bit, while the "charm" of the old building annoyed me and almost broke my ankle a few times, the new place is better.

Bibas is currently trying to open up a OAM's old spot to some sort of eatery and has been spending quite a bit of money to modernize it and fix the stuff that he neglected over the years.

Actually, Bibas doesn't own Ones a meal, he simply owned the building. Being a semi regular there, they explained the entire drama going on with them and Biba.

Ahh, okay. One's a Meal is not without its decent dishes, its just that if I want gyro or hummus I'm going to go to Niko Niko's. Also I think the new location is just so depressing inside, can't really explain it, just doesn't feel like a restaurant.

Really?

I think its much better.

Perhaps you'd feel better if they bashed some walls in and broke a window or two?

I also haven't seen the perpetually-angry waiter John at the new location. He was one of the best parts of the old One's a Meal. I shouldn't say angry. Pleasantly gruff is more accurate. Love that guy.

Edited by kylejack

I've only been to the new location once. There was something warm and comforting about the old place that isn't there in the new place. The new location is just so... clean... that's not the right word.... It's hard to put my finger on it exactly, but I can see what kylejack is saying.

I also haven't seen the perpetually-angry waiter John at the new location. He was one of the best parts of the old One's a Meal. I shouldn't say angry. Pleasantly gruff is more accurate. Love that guy.

I always assumed he was the owner, not just a waiter.

He's still at the new location, or at least he was a couple months ago. He's got an incredible memory. I go in that place every four to six months at most, and he remembers me every time.