Why Is Uptown So Much Better Looking Than Downtown?

C2H

Is it just me or does Uptown look better than downtown? The buildings are newer and there are more upscale shops. Everything looks crisp and clean, almost like a miniature downtown Dallas. They have commericial signage on the top of buildings, which looks good at night. The infrastructure, roads, overhead street signs and freeways are better as well, which helps give it more appeal than our city center. And not to mention, the residential population is like 10X larger than that of downtown which gives it more of a vibrant feel.

What do you think the deal is? Do you think downtown Houston doesn't have the money than Uptown Houston has to keep better roads, cleaner and renewing of buildings? Just something that i've always wondered about because aside from the skyline and Main Street, i think Uptown Houston should be Houston's downtown.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uptown is for the most part...a lot newer than downtown and a lot more "user friendly" Downtown is trying to catch up to all of this with all of the renovations and road construction not to mention light rail...im banking on the Houston Pavilions to really help bring more residents downtown and expand from there

40 years ago, Uptown was a rural field. Everything was built from scratch since the 70s. In that sense, it is newer and cleaner.

My personal opinion is that it is "too new", in that there are no personable old buildings. But, that's my opinion. Others love the "Singapore" look, where everything is brand new. Personal taste.

many improvements in uptown (buildings not included) are a product of the uptown TIRZ (tax increment reinvestment zone). a TIRZ is a self imposed tax on businesses in the area that goes directly to beautification and improvements (chrome arches, landscaping, lighting, etc).

there are several people on the HAIF forum who are more familiar with a TIRZ if you have questions.

.....and, welcome to the forum!

Well, Uptown essentially developed around Hine's Galleria, which had tons of prestige(and still does), and thus, attracted many high end businesses, such as those class A offices (more space than Denver, or LA), the high rise residences, single family residences, as well as other high end retail venues. These were all built on empty fields, rather than over existing properties, which is easier, since you don't have to go through too much red tape. So, essentially, Uptown is just a suburban office development around a mall that was supremely successful. It still has many shortfalls, such as a lack of MT, or...those strip malls(and a few undesirables such as Zone d'Erotica, etc), of course. But, hopefully, downtown catches up, with new developments, despite the fact that Uptown is getting a development of its own that is as large, if not larger than the Pavilions.

Count me as someone who tries to avoid Uptown at all costs.

The traffic is a NIGHTMARE. The West Loop is a complete guessing game as to which exits will be operable at any given time. As for the streets, downtown's are almost completely redone. San Felipe is like an off-road testing track for Hummers. AND, speaking of Hummers, try walking anywhere in Uptown. You can certainly do it, but it SUCKS compared to strolling downtown. AND, get back to me when you can ride rail from downtown to the Museum District, the Zoo, Rice U, Reliant Park, or the TMC.

Additionally, downtown is the home of the major performing arts. Performing arts in Uptown is limited to Treasures and the Men's Club.

Downtown also hosts the Rockets, Comets, Aeros, and Astros. Uptown has pick up games at the Post Oak Y.

Downtown has historical buildings and boutique hotels. Uptown has faux Manhattans and the Derek (a former Red friggin' Lion Hotel).

Downtown hosts the Thanksgiving Parade, Art Car Parade, Cinco de Mayo Parade, Juneteenth Parade and Rodeo Parade. It's also the start and finish of the Marathon not to mention the major 4th of July fireworks show. Uptown has the Holiday Lighting ceremony.

As for the Galleria, I try and avoid it at all costs. Never been much of a clothes consumer and I hate the idea of even driving anywhere close to the mall. It's also too bad that it is surrounded by a sea of surface parking lots and strip malls.

I do like uptown for the waterwall and eatzi's. That's about it.

.....and, welcome to the forum!

i hope you weren't talking to me because i've been a casual poster here for a while. I was ComingtoHouston on the old forum before it crashed. But thank you anyway! :)

Newer does not equal better. At least that is how I feel, but I know that there are many who would not even live in a house unless it was new. Also as for roads, I much prefer Downtown's grid to the mish mash of roads in uptown. Also in my opinion commercial signage is quite ugly, though there are a few exceptions to the height rule downtown it is sometimes down tastefully. (Continental)

Whoah what is with the Uptown vs. downtown war I dont see how you can compare them since they serve different purposes. Uptown is Houston's Glam Zone our Rodeo,Michigan Ave,SouthCoast Plaza its a shopping district. Galleria,Uptown Park,Boulvard Place. enough said. Downtown( i like both) is a finacial power house that can offers something different nightlife an residential that everyone is clamoring for plus a train I dont know if I want rail in uptown where would it go?

I don't think Uptown is better looking than downtown, but I would much rather live in Uptown then Downtown. Only because there is more excitment in that area. My uncle who is moving to Houston from the Boston area wants to live in the Uptown area also.

i was talking in terms of newness and visual appeal.

I used to hate Uptown, before I worked here. I thought the traffic was horrific and I neve vernture into the actual Galleria (too crowded), but since I work here now, I quite enjoy the area. In fact I am selling my midtown townhouse and me and the new wife are moving to Meyerland. Not Uptown, but closer than before.

And again, I'd say that DT Dallas and DT Houston are far more similar than Uptown and DT Dallas. Are you saying that DT Dallas looks newer than DT Houston, if so, where?

I'm curious to know how close Uptown Houston is in total square footage to DT Dallas. Anyone know?

Also, if I'm not mistaken DT Houston is quite a bit larger than DT Dallas. The actual area size is similar but it seems to me that Dallas doesn't have close to the same infill as Houston. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it just me or does Uptown look better than downtown? The buildings are newer and there are more upscale shops. Everything looks crisp and clean, almost like a miniature downtown Dallas.

OMG, have you actually been to downtown Dallas? Most of the buildings are old, and downtown Dallas itself is like a ghost town. It makes downtown Houston feel like Manhattan.

They have commericial signage on the top of buildings, which looks good at night. The infrastructure, roads, and freeways are better as well, which helps give it more appeal than our city center.

Downtown Houston restricts signage on the top of buildings. I think that's a good thing -- we have enough billboards in this city.

Traffic flow is also much better in the downtown grid-system than the Uptown suburban-style road system. And don't forget, most of the roads in downtown have been rebuilt over the last few years as part of the Metro rail and road improvement projects.

Uptown is quite mixed used. Mixed-use doesn't mean pedestrian friendly urban environments. Developers invented the term mixed use many years ago with masterplanned suburban development and areas like Uptown.

Only recently had the termed mixed-use been applied by urbanist and in building new projects in cities. I would still qualify Uptown as mixed use and I'm continually seeing people walking in Uptown along Post oak.

Also, the Uptown management district is planning to slowly turn the streets in Uptown into more of a grid. The pavillions tearing down and rebuild will be a part of this when South Post Oak Lane connects to Ambassador Way.

Click on "Connecting the Community Map- Uptown Street Connectors"

Maps

This is to creat a more of a grid concept in Uptown so that key roads won't handle all the traffic.

I think he means mixed use like office, residential, and retail all in one building. A perfect example is the John Hancock building in Chicago. Which was built in 1969, so it isn't a new phenomenon. I am not sure what mixed use means to you, but to me it means one building with multiple things, not just a strip center by a residential tower.

• 3 weeks later...
Is it just me or does Uptown look better than downtown? The buildings are newer and there are more upscale shops. Everything looks crisp and clean, almost like a miniature downtown Dallas. They have commericial signage on the top of buildings, which looks good at night. The infrastructure, roads, and freeways are better as well, which helps give it more appeal than our city center. And not to mention, the residential population is like 10X larger than that of downtown which gives it more of a vibrant feel.

What do you think the deal is? Do you think downtown Houston doesn't have the money than Uptown Houston has to keep better roads, cleaner and renewing of buildings? Just something that i've always wondered about because aside from the skyline and Main Street, i think Uptown Houston should be Houston's downtown.

I looked in downtown and found that the housing(Loft etc.)was not as plentiful..live n Uptown at Dominion Post Oak. Like the area but DPO is falling in quality of residents fast. It has become a dog pound with multiple dogs per unit the size of ponies. Not enough staff...Club area pretty sloppy...see dpo2323@blogspot.com

I think Richmond Ave. should have more Uptown-type office buildings there if the clubs there no longer are there

What are the property values like down Richmond Ave?

Count me as someone who tries to avoid Uptown at all costs.

I do like uptown for the waterwall and eatzi's. That's about it.

I totally have to agree with the above quote

"Additionally, downtown is the home of the major performing arts. Performing arts in Uptown is limited to Treasures and the Men's Club."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  B)

I thought there was a playhouse company who was building a theater on Westheimer and Yorktown. It is the AD players or something like that

Archived