Why Is Uptown So Much Better Looking Than Downtown?

C2H

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Montrose, I'll take your word for it. I thought I might get SWTSIG's attention but I guess he hasn't seen it.

I guess from his responses he is a broker or has something to do with leasing.

• 2 years later...

In my imagination, Uptown would be at its best if eventually the strip malls on the east side of Post Oak were replaced by a row of good-looking skyscrapers with upscale ground floor retail and little linear parks and plazas branching off of that. Imagine if there was a canyon affect, and how dramatic it would look facing north where the road curves. It would be nice if trends in architecture drifted away from the cold mirror glass back towards brick and stone on the lower floors.

Uptown will never be Downtown, though. Downtown is #1, its raw and tough, Uptown is the fancy area. Nothing wrong with that distinction.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:57 PM, kennyc05 said:

What do you guys think in 2020?

I think the diversity of buildings downtown looks better and the recent additions are beautiful.

In terms of overall living, I'm obviously biased but downtown is the only truly walkable neighborhood in Houston. You can walk to work, the gym, dinner, drinks, a park and a show (basketball/baseball/concert/opera/ballet/play).

Downtown has diverse housing stock consisting of historic lofts, luxury high-rises and mid-height apartments. 

From downtown, you have equal travel times to east and west sides of town with the east side gaining in importance in the future.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:05 PM, zaphod said:

In my imagination, Uptown would be at its best if eventually the strip malls on the east side of Post Oak were replaced by a row of good-looking skyscrapers with upscale ground floor retail and little linear parks and plazas branching off of that. Imagine if there was a canyon affect, and how dramatic it would look facing north where the road curves. It would be nice if trends in architecture drifted away from the cold mirror glass back towards brick and stone on the lower floors.

Uptown will never be Downtown, though. Downtown is #1, its raw and tough, Uptown is the fancy area. Nothing wrong with that distinction.

I feel like I read this on HAIF, don't remember where or when, but isn't this the plan long-term from whoever owns the land some of those strip centers are on?

I cannot imagine Uptown keeping strip centers around for much longer, especially since it's expensive over there, and with the new BRT I'm willing to bet prices will get pushed higher up and there'll be more incentive to build upwards, not outwards. I hope the BRT brings more pedestrian-friendly development! And parks...Downtown has several really neat parks and I feel like Uptown would really benefit from more greenspace areas. I know it has the waterwall park, but I feel like they could really use a nice park or two- it did wonders for Downtown! (I know that Uptown's close to Memorial Park, but IMO you can never have enough parks! :D)

I think Uptown looks more shiny and new and well-landscaped and polished...and I really think because it's a large area the skyline looks impressive! But you just can't beat Downtown's walkability and the iconic buildings there.

• The title was changed to Why Is Uptown So Much Better Looking Than Downtown?

Archived