Art League Houston At 1953 Montrose Blvd.

Dan Havel

I am new to your forum and I would like to tell you about a unique project with an architectural twist to it. I am involved with a project titled "Inversion" at the Art League Houston (see Art League web site for press release). I am collaborating with fellow sculptor Dean Ruck to structurally alter a studio building prior to its demolition to make way for a new building. This is not the first time Dean or I have been involved with using condemned buildings or alternative sites for installations. Past projects include

"O House" and "Alchemy House" in the westend about ten years ago.

I would like to find architects/developers/owners involved with the removal of old buildings for future projects. I see potential in old buildings that have outlived their functionality and infuse new life into them with artistic action prior to their demise.

I would also like to get your feedback on our project from architecture enthusiasts. Please drive by the Art League on Montrose Blvd(next to Texas Art Supply) to see the project. If you would like to discuss project, we will be on site May 7 and 8.

I am new to your forum and I would like to tell you about a unique project with an architectural twist to it. I am involved with a project titled "Inversion" at the Art League Houston (see Art League web site for press release). I am collaborating with fellow sculptor Dean Ruck to structurally alter a studio building prior to its demolition to make way for a new building. This is not the first time Dean or I have been involved with using condemned buildings or alternative sites for installations. Past projects include

"O House" and "Alchemy House" in the westend about ten years ago. 

I would like to find architects/developers/owners involved with the removal of old buildings for future projects. I see potential in old buildings that have outlived their functionality and infuse new life into them with artistic action prior to their demise.

I would also like to get your feedback on our project from architecture enthusiasts. Please drive by the Art League on Montrose Blvd(next to Texas Art Supply) to see the project. If you would like to discuss project, we will be on site May 7 and 8.

about what time will you be on site, may 7 & 8? thanks.

My wife and I live on welch, one block from this installation. I've lived in the Montrose for over 15 years and this is EASILY one of the most original pieces I have ever seen. I am immensly proud to tell people about this work as you can tell because I've spent some time googleing to find this forum!

Simply Amazing! I run a number of websites, including PartyonthePlaza.com and OneMoreBeer.com and would be happy to promote the official showing.

Congratulations!

mrbeer@onemorebeer.com

That's cool...and I must say its kind of ironic that its in Montrose......think gay men.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ironic", "gay men". The montrose is made up of Straight, Gay, Bisexual, Lesbians, Transgendered, and all people without labels. It's my home and we're VERY proud of it!

As a matter of fact, I think you need to get out more! Come down to the heart of Houston and enjoy what culture and community are all about with people who appreciate the architecture, history, spirit AND lifestyle that makes Montrose unique.

mrbeer@onemorebeer.com

"Inversion" will be up until demolition of house some time in June. A demo date has not been established yet.

the site having the photo linked above changed the info from "implosion" to read:

"dan havel's inversion installation @ art league of houston"

is anyone here going on saturday?

Thanks for posting images on your site. Also thanks for changing title of piece. Could you please add Dean Ruck as one of the artists. It was truely a collaborative project...Thanks

not my site, not my pics... please email the site. if you want, I can take down the links on this message board.

I've taken a couple of courses at the Art League, and admit that I was saddened to hear that these houses/studios were being demolished. It's progress, I know, yet somehow these spaces seemed infused with the creative spirit. Their shabbiness and awkwardness somehow seemed to put me at ease.

How wonderful that Dan Havel & co. have found a worthy last use for these beloved but outmoded structures. Mere bulldozing would have seemed disrespectful.

It's a bit late in the game, I know, but perhaps some scraps of the existing buildings could be integrated into the new and improved structure(s)? A window here, a porch there...

• 3 weeks later...

I love the installation, Dan!!!! It's one of the most incredible uses of an existing building that I've ever seen.

But, I wish the Art League would have hired a decent architect for the new project. Irving Phillips of Phillips Wild Architects has done some terrible work around town and, although this new project seems to be a little nicer, it is still disappointing. I wish the current installation could remain.

Again, great work!!

A truly original piece. And one that surely cements the Montrose as a unique and progressive community. In an asphalt wasteland such as Houston, it is good to see culture and creativity colliding with the daily commute. I've since left Houston, but it will be art in the public realm such as this that makes Houston a city of possibilities.

• 4 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I were awed by 'Inversion' and I have been trying to look for pictures of the 'O House' installation. Can anyone help.

Here it is almost July and 'Inversion' still stands. If only some of the other cute bungalows in the area had installations, maybe the McMansions and Stacked Mobile Homes would stay out. :P

TIA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived