Improvements Coming To Allen Parkway

Urbannizer

The construction barriers make me think of a race track...

yup. i think of it as a race track every morning. which is not safe, since people can now turn on to the main lanes from Gillette. The posted speed limit is 30 but everyone is still treating like they did before (40-45). Yes i'm guilty too... but its just too fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Allen-Parkway-work-will-take-a-summer-break-6878566.php

Work is slightly behind initial estimates and won't be finished by late May as expected for an $11 million rehab of Allen Parkway meant to slow traffic and open up access to Eleanor Tinsley Park and Buffalo Bayou trails. New eastbound lanes headed to downtown opened in mid-February, said Lonnie Hoogeboom, director of planning and design for the Houston Downtown Redevelopment Authority.

When finished, the project will add 141 parking spaces along the bayou.

Work has been slowed, Hoogeboom said, by unexpected underground conditions - a common problem with Houston road projects.

1200x1240.jpg

• 1 month later...

Heading westbound the light also sneaks up on you. Yesterday afternoon I thought to myself "someone is going to run this light" and as if on cue a young man in a motorcycle flew through the red light going at least 40. 

"Signal Ahead" flashers are absolutely necessary. I may switch to Memorial for the time being. 

to be fair, if I drove that section of road every day for years, and then sudenly, traffic signal, I'd probably blow through it a time or two as well until my mind remembered it's time to pay attention to a traffic signal at the location. 

Do you think they will meter the parking on Allen Parkway and at The Dunlavy?  The parking is always full now as everyone takes their own car instead is either carpooling, biking etc.  And there's no incentive to not leave your car there all day. 

With Free Press Summer Fest coming up in 3 weeks this construction is going to create a huge mess in the flow of music patrons, I wonder how they will alleviate this? Will they use the stage on the cistern as one of the possible 5/6 stages?

2 minutes ago, hindesky said:

With Free Press Summer Fest coming up in 3 weeks this construction is going to create a huge mess in the flow of music patrons, I wonder how they will alleviate this? Will they use the stage on the cistern as one of the possible 5/6 stages?

Will it?  I have been to Free Press a couple of years ago, I am uncertain how this construction would create a "huge mess" for the flow of patrons.  Some of the stages may need to be repositioned a bit perhaps but, while you may be correct, I don't currently share your view.  

They still have the street dividers up on the the northern part of the construction it will make for a very narrow area for the vendors and their customers. When they did the Jeep exhibit a few years ago it made walking from the eastern portion to the west very constricted.

I agree there is potential for several bottlenecks that will hinder the flow of festival goers moving from stage to stage. 2 years ago they seemed to have finally gotten it right leaving enough room between the stages and beer/food vendors. This caused them to elongate the festival a bit.

It will probably depend on how much of the north side of Allen they will be able to use, but even at its current state I think it can be worked out if its laid out properly.

• 2 weeks later...

today the intersection at taft fully opened (you can take a left from westbound Allen to Taft and a right from Taft to go westbound). Gillette light and crosswalk are next i assume.

I was interesting to see that there isn't a light at Gillette for the new 'parking lane'. But there is a left turn signal from eastbound Allen at Gillette and an opening to get to the parking lane. Is that parking area going to be so slow its just a yield with no light?

2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

@Triton Here's the proposed lane plan

Thanks. What I meant though is that it looks like they are just using the actual original Allen Parkway westbound lanes and are going to convert them. My impression was, they would dig it all up and build brand new parking areas. It's probably cheaper though just to repaint. Perhaps they are just waiting for FPSF to dig it all up but it honestly looks like they integrated the new lanes with the old asphalt.

Very disappointing to wake up to this announcement:

FREE PRESS SUMMER FESTIVAL 2016 TO RELOCATE TO NRG PARK AFTER STORMS SATURATE ELEANOR TINSLEY PARK  

FESTIVAL WILL GO ON AS PLANNED JUNE 4 AND 5

Rode the bayou today, the grass and everything is fine. Just took rain and drained like its designed to. Allen Parkway is looking good, they are making progress.

Not good at all. Two times in the recent past. NRG park is a nightmare. Overpriced parking. Excessive heat. No downtown backdrop. No trees or grass or bayou. I bought tickets early because I liked this year's lineup but I went the first time they moved it to NRG. Wont make that mistake again.

Archived