Midtown TIRZ

Joke

I'm unclear on the details but I found out today that the Midtown TIRZ wants to annex Montrose. . . . . . what? Where would the $ go that is generated by that type of annexation?

There is a cpuncil meeting Tuesday where citizens can give opinions and I think a couple of City Councilmen are planning a townhall meeting later  concerning this-

This is so strange, I have been going through some old documents of Avondale from the 90's--There was an attempt to gain TIRZ for the area  then-- it was denied.

sorry the picture is upside down and I don't know how to change it-

post-6399-0-08410700-1417846419_thumb.jp

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess (based on the fact that they are only main roads) is that there might be a plan to do full rebuilds along those corridors because Midtown has the money. They'd have to join Midtown so they can get pretty streets and nice sidewalks.

If I was a Montrose resident I'd be excited... If I still lived in Midtown I probably wouldn't be as excited. TIRZ's are pretty awesome in that you basically get more of your tax dollars spent in your neighborhood. Yeah, you pay a little more but you get Bagby street reconstruction type quality vs mediocre street overlays.

If I was a Montrose resident I'd be excited... If I still lived in Midtown I probably wouldn't be as excited. TIRZ's are pretty awesome in that you basically get more of your tax dollars spent in your neighborhood. Yeah, you pay a little more but you get Bagby street reconstruction type quality vs mediocre street overlays.

You don't pay more with a TIRZ, they just assign the incremental taxes  from value increases to a specific area. Management districts, on the other hand do charge actual taxes. The Midtown Management District has a 11.81 cent tax rate.

The problem is what the heck has the Montrose TIRZ been doing with all the tax money it's been receiving from the "boom" over the last 14 or so years in the area. Lower Westheimer is an embarrassment of a major thoroughfare in that condition along with many of the neighborhood streets in Montrose. The infrastructure is terrible, while Kirby and Midtown keep upgrading and rebuilding their sidewalks and streets. 

You don't pay more with a TIRZ, they just assign the incremental taxes from value increases to a specific area. Management districts, on the other hand do charge actual taxes. The Midtown Management District has a 11.81 cent tax rate.

You're correct and thanks for pointing that out. I'm used to lumping both in my mind from when I owned property in Midtown.

So there is a Management District in Montrose (MMD covers Kirby to Dallas to Bagby to I59 plus a small bit of museum district I59, Montrose to Binz to Graustark--I think)--- they knew nothing of the annexation before hand-- neither did Neartown (umbrella organization of the 22 civic organizations of Montrose) neither did the council people who live inside Montrose----Guess it just seems strange so many organizations were caught unaware of this-

I'm still wondering where does the money generated from a Montrose TIRZ go to? who/where gets the benefit?

City council is having open discussion about this topic this week- Last week (Dec 2 there was a public Hearing)

from Cohen enewsletter

Dear Friend,

Recently, a proposal has come before Council to expand Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ) #2 to include portions of District C's Montrose and Museum District neighborhoods (map). In contrast to a management district, a TIRZ does not involve new taxes for businesses. Rather, a TIRZ changes how property taxes from commercial properties are allocated by using them for projects within the TIRZ boundaries.

To ensure that the affected community has an opportunity to learn more about this proposal and how it will impact their neighborhoods, Council Members David Robinson, Dwight Boykins, and I will host a public meeting next week:

Public Meeting: Proposed Expansion of TIRZ #2
Monday, December 15th, 2014
6:30PM – 7:30PM
University of St. Thomas: Scanlan Hall in the Jerabeck Activity Center
4000 Mt. Vernon St, 77006
(Please note that this building is located on a pedestrian-only path within the university complex. Signage will be posted.)

The parking garage at the Moran Center (3807 Graustark St, 77006) will be available for participants. I encourage you to send questions in advance by contacting my office at DistrictC@houstontx.gov or (832) 393-3004.

TIRZ #2 Expansion Proposal Delayed

Council Member Cohen plans to postpone the council vote on a proposal to expand Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ) #2. Discussion on this issue is expected to continue over the next few months to ensure that all stakeholders are involved in the decision-making process. Council Members Cohen, David Robinson, and Dwight Boykins will host a public meeting on Monday evening to provide more information about the proposal and its potential impact on affected neighborhoods.

Public Meeting: Proposed Expansion of TIRZ #2
Monday, December 15th
6:30PM – 7:30PM
University of St. Thomas: Scanlan Hall in the Jerabeck Activity Center
4000 Mt. Vernon St, 77006
(MAP)
The Center is located on a pedestrian-only path within the university complex. Signage will be posted. Parking available at Moran Center parking garage, 3807 Graustark St.

I attended the Town Hall meeting about this. There were maybe 250 +- Ellen Cohen hosted-

David Robinson was there- Dwight Boykins was suppose to be there but didn't show- Michael Kubosh wasn't expected and showed up--- I looked for Stephan Costello ( I think he lives in Montrose) but didn't see him.

Andy Aicken - COH development guy- Baron Wallace-Midtown TIRZ lawyer represented the Pro Midtown TIRZ annexation of Montrose movement.

Those guys were on the hot seat most of the time--Apparently when the idea was presented to COH

Their spokesperson related that the MMD, MDBA, Neartown and ALL the museums anywhere in Montrose were all 100% for the proposal. ( the TIRZ guys related that it was the idea of "uniting" all the Mueums in Montrose that was the catalyst for the annexation. But really the Buffalo Soldier Musuem wasn't included neither was HMNS -only the Menil is on Board and that might have something to do with the Menil trying to form an independant parking district)

That wasn't true- none of them were aware of it--Nor were any COH council. Sigh-a lot of time spent trying to shame the TIRZ over that misstep.

There was a Q&A and none of the questioners were for the proposal. Most wanted to know why Montrose couldn't be its own TIRZ since the Parker administration had created 2 new TIRZ. Also came out that only the streets of Westheimer, Alabama, Richmond and Montrose could be annexed because areas have to be "Blighted " and have less than 25% residential housing. Hmmmmmm

Cohen stated nothing would pass in 2014 and 2015 was " wait and see" that means more Town Hall meetings.

The Buffalo Solider museum is already in Midtown. Also, they are right about an area needing to be blighted to be in a TIRZ. HMNS would probably be too far south to include. As I said earlier, I'd be jumping for joy if I were in Montrose. You'd probably get nice thoroughfares eventually for no extra cost to you. It would probably bring more development as well.

The Buffalo Solider museum is already in Midtown. Also, they are right about an area needing to be blighted to be in a TIRZ. HMNS would probably be too far south to include. As I said earlier, I'd be jumping for joy if I were in Montrose. You'd probably get nice thoroughfares eventually for no extra cost to you. It would probably bring more development as well.

I'll have to look at that silly upside down map again but i thought the Buffalo soldier museum wasn't included. And Sue Lovell who represents  (all or at least a lot of) Museum in that  alliance group  certainly was upset that the presumption from the Midtown TIRZ was that all the Museums were for this proposal.The TIRZ is suppose to have a different boundary because of the 25% housing (can't have anymore than that) requirement.

TIRZ I really don't have a problem with but it tells me something that their head guys didn't do any bridge building to anyone in MOntrose before hand. If there's one thing Montrose does it's hold stakeholder events to discuss Montrose problems and how those  might be solved.DAvid Robinson  has been at the head of at least a half dozen such events-- I'm sure he was shocked that no one asked his opinion.

A lot of info on other TIRZ came up also-- The one for the Galleria-- apparently none of the stakeholders want the dedicated bus lane. Plus although TIRZ meetings are open to the public and you can ask questions-- TIRZ cannot answer those questions and a woman told of having to use the freedom of information act to get access to information that concerned her question.

These Midtown guys talking gave me a creepy feeling the same as a smarmy used car salesman, when you hope to get a better car, I'm afraid there is already a plan in place to have a terrific outcome-- I'm just not sure Montrose will see any of the benefits.

Hmmmmm might have to postpone those ---

According to Cohen's enewsletter

Council voted unanimously to approve Council Member Cohen's request that the proposed expansion of TIRZ #2 be referred back to the Mayor's administration until the affected neighborhoods have the opportunity to have their voices heard. During the first public meeting on the issue, a standing room-only crowd reviewed the proposal and provided the first round of input. Stakeholder meetings will continue through the next several months and, should the community consensus be to move forward with this or an amended expansion, the matter will likely be back before Council during Spring or Summer 2015.

• 1 month later...

Steven David from the COH office of economic development (I think) spoke to Neartown on the huge snafu of not appraising the Montrose stakeholders of the plan for Midtown TIRZ  to annex Montrose. Apparently all that will be tabled till a few town hall meetings can be arranged.

A few strange things that came up--- Montrose did indeed apply for TIRZ in 1994-------------five years before Midtown.

I was puzzled about the less than 25% residency requirement in order to install a TIRZ--------apparently all those apartment buildings  in Midtown are classified as commercial and not residential.

The TIRZ Board  is not made up of "stakeholders" necessarily-the two Texas legislators from that area that are granted seats on those boards can appoint people(who do not have to be  residents or be employed inside the TIRZ area) to the board instead and " those people represent the interests of those legislators " 

The Midtown TIRZ was approached by the Museum District Association (Most of the Museums  are in the Museum district but some like the Menil are not) to consider annexing all  them.The Midtown TIRZ & COH  began to research that possibility.  None of the Civic associations within the Museum district were contacted. 

Steven David from the COH office of economic development (I think) spoke to Neartown on the huge snafu of not appraising the Montrose stakeholders of the plan for Midtown TIRZ  to annex Montrose. Apparently all that will be tabled till a few town hall meetings can be arranged.

A few strange things that came up--- Montrose did indeed apply for TIRZ in 1994-------------five years before Midtown.

I was puzzled about the less than 25% residency requirement in order to install a TIRZ--------apparently all those apartment buildings  in Midtown are classified as commercial and not residential.

The TIRZ Board  is not made up of "stakeholders" necessarily-the two Texas legislators from that area that are granted seats on those boards can appoint people(who do not have to be  residents or be employed inside the TIRZ area) to the board instead and " those people represent the interests of those legislators " 

The Midtown TIRZ was approached by the Museum District Association (Most of the Museums  are in the Museum district but some like the Menil are not) to consider annexing all  them.The Midtown TIRZ & COH  began to research that possibility.  None of the Civic associations within the Museum district were contacted. 

Thanks for posting this topic. I live in Midtown and hadn't heard anything about it.

As to all those apartments being classified as commercial, I don't think that's necessarily the case. I'm pretty sure all the big apartment buildings in Midtown came after it got its TIRZ, which according to the Midtown website was 1994. But actually, my understanding* was that Midtown was nothing but Mai's and crackhouses prior to gentrification, so I guess I'm a little surprised it was ever _not_ 25% residential. (Crackhouses, are residential, right?)

*this is the view that one got of the area as a mid-90's Rice student who came from out of state; may or may not reflect reality.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I know that Montrose applied for "TIRZ" in 1994 because there is an archival letter in the Civic clubs scrap book but I think Mr David pointed out Midtown got it's in 1999 or at least  led us to believe that.

Websites are strange things- The Montrose Management District webpage leads you to believe Montrose began in 1911. But Avondale was platted in 1907 and the name "Avondale" was chosen because it fit in well with the "Montrose" theme (Montrose” after the Historic town in Scotland mentioned in the writings of Sir Walter Scott. The Bride of Lammermoor and A Legend of Montrose (1819)

I think that there is a limit on how long a TIRZ can exist. 25 years maybe? I'm wondering how that plays into all this annexing proposals.

But Mr David did specifically speak to all those apartments being labeled commercial because the protocol of a TIRZ is suppose to be in areas of less than 25% residential-- This also came into play when the proposed zone was laid out to annex Montrose in that all the apartment buildings were labeled commercial and therefore less than 25% commercial. He spoke to the fact that the proposed Museum district is also helped out by that fact but was very close to being above 25% residential.

One thing does puzzle me about the Museum district proposed TIRZ--A significant portion of the land is taken up by the Museums-----do the Museums pay taxes?

• 7 months later...

Guess there won't be an annexation after all.

From Costello's newsletter:

At a presentation last month, council members were shown the city's plans to create three new TIRZs: Westchase; Sunnyside; and Montrose. Increment generated from these new zones will be used for infrastructure - primarily street, sidewalk and lighting projects. The city also plans to expand six existing zones: Fifth Ward; South Post Oak; Southwest Houston; Midtown; Memorial Heights; and St. George Place. These zones will annex additional property in order to generate long-term economic development, fold prospective projects into ongoing projects within the zones, and capitalize on ReBuild Houston projects in the areas. City Council is currently in the process of approving all operating budgets for existing TIRZs. Public hearings on TIRZ annexation and creation will begin in late September and continue through October with City Council votes expected in October and November.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived