Historic Houston Shopping Places

citykid09

Homer's - a DIY place like Handy Dan

Meyer Brothers

Levy's - a big competitor of Foley's, in fact, at one time larger than Foley's; I think Levy's stuck with clothing and never got into appliances, etc., like Foley's.

Zindler's Men's and Boy's Wear - yes, that Zindler. Maybe Zindler's Big and Tall is still around.

Mosk's for Men - a big 3 or 4 story men's store downtown in the 50s, right next to the downtown Battlestein's as I recall. Wrestling promoter Paul Boesch did their TV commercials, so it was kind of like Harold's in the Heights.

Here's one that goes waaaay back: W. C. Munn Co., also a dry goods merchant downtown.

Haverty's and Stower's furniture stores. More recently, Suniland.

7-11, after all! and U-Totem, Circle K, even Stop'n Go, which was formerly U-Totem.

Weingarten's - the few remaining stores were Grand Union for a while, then most became Safeway I think. When Safeway pulled out of Houston, they became the shortlived Appletree.

Super-Valu (grocery) - I think Randall's started as a Super-Valu.

Handy Andy - a somewhat upscale grocer from San Antonio; the Randall's Flagship on Voss was a Handy Andy.

IGA Supermarkets

Remember Magnolia Gas - their symbol was Pegasus, the winged horse from Greek mythology; some stations, like the one on W. Gray @ Shepherd had a 3-D Pegasus revolving on a pole for their sign, others had just a 2-D representation. Magnolia merged with Socony-Mobil in the 50s to become Mobil.

Sinclair Gas - still in business elsewhere - with Dino the Dinosaur.

Okay, I confess, I've been working on a research project and reading a lot of old newspapers, dating back to the 20s. But I remember all of the above except W. C. Munn, which goes back to the 20s. Zindler's had a huge, 3 or 4 story store downtown in the 20s.

Sinclair Gas - still in business elsewhere - with Dino the Dinosaur.

Funny story about Sinclar Oil... Anyone remember the show Dinosaurs? It used to be on ABC's TGIF (back when it was good.) Of course, if that doesn't jog your memory "Not da mama!" should. :wince:

All the dinosaurs on the show were named after big names in the oil industry. The family was the "Sinclair family," after all. Sinclair Oil works the northwest region now; they're based in Utah. Gratuitous Wikipedia link.

Funny story about Sinclar Oil... Anyone remember the show Dinosaurs? It used to be on ABC's TGIF (back when it was good.) Of course, if that doesn't jog your memory "Not da mama!" should. :wince:

All the dinosaurs on the show were named after big names in the oil industry. The family was the "Sinclair family," after all. Sinclair Oil works the northwest region now; they're based in Utah. Gratuitous Wikipedia link.

Yeah, I remember that show. Sigh...TV just isn't what it used to be.

Yeah, I remember that show.  Sigh...TV just isn't what it used to be.

Funny you should mention Sinclair. Back during my Houston years (1962-64) we went out one night. Naturally, I, as a little kid fell asleep in the back seat of the car. When I woke and sat up, I was confronted by a big green dinosaur! Man was I scared! It took me a few minutes to learn that it was a cartoon painted logo of a dinosaur on an oil storage tank at a refinery. I'm not certain, but I think that the refinery was in Pasadena.

Remember Magnolia Gas - their symbol was Pegasus, the winged horse from Greek mythology; some stations, like the one on W. Gray @ Shepherd had a 3-D Pegasus revolving on a pole for their sign, others had just a 2-D representation. Magnolia merged with Socony-Mobil in the 50s to become Mobil.

MagnoliaGas.jpg

Isn't there a Mosc store sign still embedded in the sidewalk along Main near the former location?

Funny you should mention Sinclair.  Back during my Houston years (1962-64) we went out one night.  Naturally, I, as a little kid fell asleep in the back seat of the car.  When I woke and sat up, I was confronted by a big green dinosaur!  Man was I scared!  It took me a few minutes to learn that it was a cartoon painted logo of a dinosaur on an oil storage tank at a refinery.  I'm not certain, but I think that the refinery was in Pasadena.

Speaking of gasoline, I don't know about in Houston, but over here back in the 1950s and the 1960s I remember these stations that had a sign of a hand with a pointing finger and the word "GAS" inside of the hand. There was no name brand. You'd simply choose between Regular & Ethyl (and the sign on the side of the pumps always said "CONTAINS LEAD"). Does anyone out there remember such stations?

If we are talking stores and gas stations, then we might as well get a bonus – stamps!

There was S&H Green Stamps, Top Value Stamps and Black Gold Stamps among others.

f4_1_b.JPG

When I was a kid, I remember my mother buying groceries at Weingarten's. That store gave out BIG BONUS trading stamps. I don't know if any of you remember those. Are there any stores at all left that give out trading stamps? I remember in Houston, our neighbor bought her groceries at A&P, and that store gave out PLAID trading stamps.

The talk about Sinclair Oil reminded me that they had a pavillion at the NY World's Fair of 1964-1965. I remember they had a machine where you put in coins and it created a plastic, injection-molded green dinosaur toy on the spot for you. Very cool.

BTW, Sinclair is still here in Colorado, and typically one of the least expensive brands you can buy.

Edit to add: From Sinclair's website, I found out about the old H-C logo.

The Houston refinery also developed the famous H-C gasoline, Sinclair's first super-fuel marketed in 1926. The initials of this gasoline stood for "Houston Concentrate," but some advertising men preferred the term "High Compression."

sinclairhcglobe.jpg

Remember the slogan? "Drive with care, and buy Sinclair."

Sinclair station loses another dinosaur to thieves

Manager Chris Richardson didn't seem too upset about the latest theft. (There've been two so far this year.) Perhaps that's because all she had to do was look across U.S. Highway 91 to see her long-necked green mascot perched on top of a McDonald's restaurant. (Herald Journal)

news01.jpg

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2005/0...news/news01.txt

Sinclair station loses another dinosaur to thieves

Manager Chris Richardson didn't seem too upset about the latest theft. (There've been two so far this year.) Perhaps that's because all she had to do was look across U.S. Highway 91 to see her long-necked green mascot perched on top of a McDonald's restaurant. (Herald Journal)

news01.jpg

http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2005/0...news/news01.txt

Yes, places where you buy gasoline are all changing, with all of the mergers, their name change before you know it.

Great pic, subdude.  I had forgotten they referred to the Flying Red Horse.  In my memory, the one at W. Gray and Shepherd was white.  The Magnolia bldg in downtown Dallas has been restored as a hotel and the big Flying Red Horse on top of it restored, too.  There are pics on line.

I haven't been on the sidewalk on Main in many a year.

BTW, how far back does your collection of great pics go?  How about the Iris Theatre, 612 Travis, 1920s?

Excellent photo of the Pegasus logo. It reminds me of the Goodyear blimp logo of the flying shoe.

As a kid, riding along in the back seat of the car, I always looked forward eagerly to seeing the one on W. Gray, almost as much as passing the Mrs. Baird's bakery a few blocks east and smelling the fresh baking bread and seeing the loaves moving along the production line through the big glass windows.

Dino never did much for me, but I really dug the Flying Red Horse.

Several people have mentioned Henke and Pillot in this thread. I just came across a special section in the Chron in 1922 - August 15, Henke and Pillot was celebrating their 50th anniversary. Founded in 1872 in Market Square; Henry Henke hired Eugene Pillot as his produce manager and then made him a partner. They were sold in 1956 to Kroger.

Here's a couple more I came across in the old papers that were still around in my childhood:

Waddell's Furniture - I think they were in business up until about 10 years ago.

Ineeda Laundry and Cleaners - started out doing home laundry but by the 50s I think it was mostly commercial and industrial laundry and linen supply. Used to see their trucks all the time.

Aw, kinda disappointing.  I was hoping it was going to be something like the Majestic around the corner on Texas.  Thanks, though.

It was originally a vaudeville theatre.  I wonder what was showing, or is the crowd going on down the street?

Cool pic.  Late 30s?

According to the Tunnel Lady Will Horwitz, who owned 3 vaudeville theatres downtown, was excavating to add air conditioning in the early 30s and had the idea of connecting his theatres by underground tunnel and that was one of the beginnings of the downtown tunnel system.

If you look very closely at the last building on the right, you will see the the reason for the massive crowd. The sign attached to the overhang gives it away.

ph50.jpg

Cool looking building.

Amen. They just don't make furniture stores like they used to!

I was thinking Waddell's became Brittain's then moved out to First Colony near Hwy 6 but is gone now. I'm not sure, may have that mixed up with something else.

I keep getting distracted in my research by these old ads which I can't resist taking the time to read, but I didn't note where Waddell's was located downtown.

Re: another post above. According to something I found on line, Ineeda Laundry and Dry Cleaners big plant was where the Federal Building is now. That was in the 20s. I thought I remembered in the 50s they were out near Telephone/Winkler.

There was also an Ineeda Tire Co. in the 20s.

Edit to insert: In the 20s, Waddell's ads gave the address as Prairie @ Fannin. Many merchants never mentioned their location in their ads. I guess they thought everybody knew since they had only one store.

A couple more from the 20s that were still around in the 60s-70s, Shudde's Southern Hat Co., Travis @ Preston, and Houston Trunk Factory.

Aw, kinda disappointing.  I was hoping it was going to be something like the Majestic around the corner on Texas.  Thanks, though.

It was originally a vaudeville theatre.  I wonder what was showing, or is the crowd going on down the street?

Cool pic.  Late 30s?

According to the calendar the crowd is for "Peanut Day" in 1934. Will Horwitz printed a newspaper coupon that gave the kids free transportation, movie ticket, and bag of peanuts.