• Downtown - weekend
    • Midtown - weeknight
    • Midtown - weekend
    • Montrose - weeknight
    • Montrose - weekend

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well,I wasn't able to make it, but I saw a small group of people standing outside as I drove by on the way home (11ish), but I was too tired to drop by. :(

perhaps the next one.

that was us. just got home but i think a few may be carying on, elsewhere.

I can highly recommend the mixed drinks at the Happy Days. Good crowd, glad I went!!

I feel bad because on my way home I got a reprieve from having to head directly home. I proceeded to drink copious amounts of vodka at my local watering hole then off to my fave spot, Jonny's.

Just got home, it was was a great night. It was especially excellent meeting the HAIFers @ the Happy Kid Infested bar.

Hope everyone had a great time. Time to watch a movie and enjoy some TacoC.

We need to do dinner people.

Someplace without kids passed out and the disney channel on both TVs.

If we decide to do just drinks, I volunteer my other fav watering hole, the Hideaway on Richmond and Dunvale. GREAT place.

I feel bad because on my way home I got a reprieve from having to head directly home. I proceeded to drink copious amounts of vodka at my local watering hole then off to my fave spot, Jonny's.

Just got home, it was was a great night. It was especially excellent meeting the HAIFers @ the Happy Kid Infested bar.

Hope everyone had a great time. Time to watch a movie and enjoy some TacoC.

We need to do dinner people.

Someplace without kids passed out and the disney channel on both TVs.

If we decide to do just drinks, I volunteer my other fav watering hole, the Hideaway on Richmond and Dunvale. GREAT place.

You make it sound like having passed-out minors in a bar with Hanna Montana on the tube is a bad thing. Personally, I think it adds character. Apparently most folks arrived to an HPD car with lights-a-blazing out in front of the entrance...and decided to enter anyways. My experience was the kids/Disney thing in addition to a very odd mix of jukebox plays that included 80's metal, 80's pop, Willie Nelson, TLC's Waterfalls, and other assorted country and tejano music. A very odd mix, indeed, but precisely the reason that I like East End dive bars.

There was also a local that for whatever reason felt it necessary to regail us with his woman problems...especially the one of our motley crew that happened to overhear him yelling into the phone from the bathroom stall to his supposed g/f about whoever it was that he suspected that she may have been sleeping with at that very moment...and this same person subsequently showed a few of us nude pics of that girl from his cell phone.

One of the more interesting lines of discussion was that this HAIFing group, which didn't demographically match the clientele in the least, didn't even get a second glance. We were very different, and it didn't matter. See worldlyman's interracial dating thread for the underlying issues about which I'm proud of Houston for.

I stuck to the gin and tonics and was impressed with the bartender's willingness to go heavy on the gin.

---------------

After crunchtastic, gwilson, and tmariar+2 left, those of us left of the group (musicman, sevfiv+1, and myself) went back to musicman's place where we chatted for a while and listened to music...because if you hadn't noticed, that's what musicman is all about. Sevfiv and I enjoyed a brief dance (and I say "enjoyed" only because I did, and without any guarantees that she herself enjoyed it, on account of that neither of us knew what we were doing and were just improvising...poorly), and after sevfiv+1 left, musicman and I were the only ones left, and so he (unsuccessfully) hit on me and continued calling me a "biatch", as he had throughout most of that part of the night during which he was inebriated (as sevfiv can attest). He likes the word "biatch," and in fact coached me upon its spelling.

----------------

Having arrived directly from the Galveston Mardi Gras earlier tonight, I suggested that the next event ought to be where we all congregate in a central location and then head out in a couple of vehicles to Galveston or even Bolivar. That could really be something else.

You make it sound like having passed-out minors in a bar with Hanna Montana on the tube is a bad thing. Personally, I think it adds character. Apparently most folks arrived to an HPD car with lights-a-blazing out in front of the entrance...and decided to enter anyways. My experience was the kids/Disney thing in addition to a very odd mix of jukebox plays that included 80's metal, 80's pop, Willie Nelson, TLC's Waterfalls, and other assorted country and tejano music. A very odd mix, indeed, but precisely the reason that I like East End dive bars.

There was also a local that for whatever reason felt it necessary to regail us with his woman problems...especially the one of our motley crew that happened to overhear him yelling into the phone from the bathroom stall to his supposed g/f about whoever it was that he suspected that she may have been sleeping with at that very moment...and this same person subsequently showed a few of us nude pics of that girl from his cell phone.

One of the more interesting lines of discussion was that this HAIFing group, which didn't demographically match the clientele in the least, didn't even get a second glance. We were very different, and it didn't matter. See worldlyman's interracial dating thread for the underlying issues about which I'm proud of Houston for.

I stuck to the gin and tonics and was impressed with the bartender's willingness to go heavy on the gin.

---------------

After crunchtastic, gwilson, and tmariar+2 left, those of us left of the group (musicman, sevfiv+1, and myself) went back to musicman's place where we chatted for a while and listened to music...because if you hadn't noticed, that's what musicman is all about. Sevfiv and I enjoyed a brief dance (and I say "enjoyed" only because I did, and without any guarantees that she herself enjoyed it, on account of that neither of us knew what we were doing and were just improvising...poorly), and after sevfiv+1 left, musicman and I were the only ones left, and so he (unsuccessfully) hit on me and continued calling me a "biatch", as he had throughout most of that part of the night during which he was inebriated (as sevfiv can attest). He likes the word "biatch," and in fact coached me upon its spelling.

----------------

Having arrived directly from the Galveston Mardi Gras earlier tonight, I suggested that the next event ought to be where we all congregate in a central location and then head out in a couple of vehicles to Galveston or even Bolivar. That could really be something else.

CLASSIC

I realized I left my EXTREMLY heavy drink there on the bar and didn't even have more than a sip. I hope someone shot it!

Musicman was the man. The ladiers were enchanting and the Niche had his own niche to which I'd be proud to be a part of.

Good group of folks.

Dinner next time. On the west side this time. No more other side of 45 for me. I think I need a tetnis show.

Talk to you folks tomorrow (wow, it is late, having been up this late in a while but just finished watchin Rendition. Great movie. Very powerful.

i was so tired by 5pm yesterday i decided not to make the trip into town. i can see by the posts that i missed a good time. i would've been out after the second drink.

if anyone wants to meet for the GHPA walking tour next saturday, we could meet for an early lunch or head to another locale after the tour. actually, if something congeals before or after the event and you're not interested in the event itself, you could still meet up.

----------------

hilarious biatch. our next task is to find a DD to drive the van.

EDIT: we have the HAIF police at work. guess i have to make my lame comments again.

theniche was quite unexpected is all i can say.

I can highly recommend the mixed drinks at the Happy Days. Good crowd, glad I went!!

now we know where the tastic comes from.

grandma put on hannah montana LOL

LOLOL i didn't understand this either. very ghetto

Happy Days is definitely worth repeat business - I wish I would have remembered to at least check out the lobby of the hotel, though!

It was great to meet up with everyone! And ooh - that's my hand + Shiner in the second picture :blush:

So I went back Saturday to check it out again (and check out the motel lobby, too) but didn't make it very far.

Cops in the otherwise empty parking lot talking to the bartender - something must have just happened.

Kept driving, so maybe another time :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure you put the word on here, so the rest of us will know. Thanks in advance.

If you can get all the way out to the east side for a night of drinkies at the 'Days, let me know and I will personally round some folks up. Don't you live in Katy?? That's a trip!

A round 2 would be in order. I want Red to come.

Archived