2015 Houston Mayor's race

Blue Dogs

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Turner try to run back in the early 1990s and lost to Lanier in the run-off? Is that who I'm thinking of?

In any case, I sure hope choices will be better than last time around: based on what I've seen, Parker was the better candidate than Brown by a long shot.

Turner still has the "Come On In" taint from his 1991 defeat.

On Green: he's got some problems regarding how he's handled the City Controller's office.

Speaking of Green, I don't think this will help him if he decides to run.

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Ethics-issues-arise-in-rulings-by-justice-of-the-3798572.php

Heightsite, you're talking about Ben Hall (D), who should've WAITED until the seat was open next year. Wasting his $$$ in 2013 to get crushed BIG by Parker (57-28) and it was over months ago when he pulled his TV Ads in the late stage of the game, while Parker was hammering him in negative attack TV Ads, questioning his IRS problems, tax ethics issues, etc.,

Another possible wild card in the Houston Mayor's race could be U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX).

I don't think she would give up her current cushy job for one that has a max duration of 6 years unless the voters in her district finally decide to cut her fed career short.

I'll pile on.  Just like Ed Emmett, she's already got a pretty decent job - one with an electorate that is more favorable to her than just the city of Houston would be, and no term limits.

I've always found it mildly ironic that term limits in Houston were driven in part by Kathy Whitmire having been in office for a long time, and were passed in the same election that unseated her.  

Basically, term limits were pushed by bitter conservatives, who couldn't beat Whitmire at the polls.

The Wikipedia article mentions that Lanier was behind the term limiting rules (although Whitmire could've won against Lanier), but Lanier was undone by those same term limits.

The Wikipedia article mentions that Lanier was behind the term limiting rules (although Whitmire could've won against Lanier), but Lanier was undone by those same term limits.

Uh, no... she lost to Lanier, during the same election that term limits were passed.

• 2 weeks later...

Knowles has way too many skeletons in the closet: particularly getting his mistress pregnant leading to his marriage ending in disaster.

Any chance State Senator Sylvia Garcia (D-Houston) might run for Mayor ?

She's been elected citywide 3 times as City Controller in 1997, 1999, 2001 and winning 2 countywide elections as County Commissioner, Pct. 2 in 2002 and 2006 before losing reelection in the Tea Party wave of 2010.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Knowles has way too many skeletons in the closet: particularly getting his mistress pregnant leading to his marriage ending in disaster.

Any chance State Senator Sylvia Garcia (D-Houston) might run for Mayor ?

She's been elected citywide 3 times as City Controller in 1997, 1999, 2001 and winning 2 countywide elections as County Commissioner, Pct. 2 in 2002 and 2006 before losing reelection in the Tea Party wave of 2010.

Garcia will not run, she has that State Senate seat on lockdown forever now, so why give it up.

Announced Mayor Candidates so far:

Sylvester Turner

Stephen Costello

Oliver Pennington

Chris Bell

Laura Murjillo 

Rumored Candidates:

Adrian Garcia

Michael Kubosh

Bill King

Ben Hall

Gilbert Garcia

Anne Clutterbuck

Jack Christie

Sue Lovell

You

Me

everyone else in Houston

Out of announced candidates, I like Costello the best, he's been a good council member, and championed the right issues for me. Plus, I figure having a guy who ran a civil engineering might be the best choice for what I believe Houston's biggest problem is at the moment, the state of the roads. 

I'm not sure what Turner wants to do other than just be Mayor, I'm not sure what he brings to the table other than being a power broker in the legislature. The Mayor of Houston is also the City Manager, so I'm not sure I want a wheeler and dealer installing his people as the heads of major city departments

Oliver Pennington is 150 years old and has done nothing that I can recall on council. I can't remember a single issue he has spoken up about, championed, pushed for, advocated for or anything with the recent exception of campaigning against the HERO ordinance (I'm pro HERO, so that doesn't sway me).

Chris Bell has the same issues as Turner for me. I think they're essentially the same candidate.

Out of the potential candidates, I like Gilbert Garcia, he's done well by METRO, and has pretty strong private sector credentials. He's also Parker's guy, and I'm a huge fan of Parker, so would vote for her endorsed candidate if she made one.

Archived