Texas Central Project

MaxConcrete

Field trip to Germany? Japan? France? Anywhere with High Speed Rail anyone? All aboard. No security checkpoints like in airports. Its that simple lol

Yes, but the article is suggesting that might change due to incidents like the one that happened recently in France. 

Well, an article stated it may be I-10 but if that corridor map is what was approved, than the high speed train would be running down the train line then and not I-10. Personally, I think it would look cool to see a high speed train going down I-10 on my way to work.

• Like 1

Yes, but the article is suggesting that might change due to incidents like the one that happened recently in France. 

Nothing changed after the terrorist attack on a train in Spain and that was years ago. The only thing that might change is rail that crosses international boundaries might get some more screening, but there won't be security checkpoints like airports. That pretty much kills what makes trains such a great option. Look I've even been to stations in D.C. and New York where you have trains that cross state lines and it functions the same way as countries above. You might see more hidden security or more police patrols, but like I said you aren't going to see long lines with security checkpoints.

Well, an article stated it may be I-10 but if that corridor map is what was approved, than the high speed train would be running down the train line then and not I-10. Personally, I think it would look cool to see a high speed train going down I-10 on my way to work.

Going down the train parallel to Washington wouldn't work; too many NIMBY'S that would delicate flower and whine

I wonder how they'd design the structure over I-10 if they go that way. It would likely require quite a bit of engineering, so perhaps we'd end up getting a "signature" structure out of it.

Could be a real opportunity.

It would probably follow the median in which case I'd assume it would just be the usual column design. I wonder if TXDOT will require them to use the same aesthetic for that sector as they do on the new highway construction.

That's just it - there is no median. It's nothing but a concrete divider. There isn't really space for pylons anywhere except for the sloping embankments on either side of the freeway.

• Like 1

Going down the train parallel to Washington wouldn't work; too many NIMBY'S that would delicate flower and whine

I'd fall into those NIMBY's and would be all for it if it were in lieu of the freight line or if it were reasonable to put it below grade.  Since UPRR has no intention of giving up their ROW the HSR would need to go over the freight lines where trains are often stacked two cars high.  The structure would essentially look like putting the I-10 over passes through the middle of the Washington ave neighborhood.  

FWIW I am all for more rail transit in Houston. In a perfect world the freight line would relocate outside the city and then the HSR and commuter trains would share that right of way. 

• Like 1

That's just it - there is no median. It's nothing but a concrete divider. There isn't really space for pylons anywhere except for the sloping embankments on either side of the freeway.

It wouldn't be difficult to push the lames over a few feet. I mean, that segment of I-10 (inside 610) is due for a rebuild eventually. You can see where they're going to extend the managed lanes past 610 because there are temporary concrete barriers on the East bound section that blocks off almost two lanes of road.

They can push the lames over temporarily; there's quite a bit of room on the banked slopes for an eventual expansion of the freeway.

I'd fall into those NIMBY's and would be all for it if it were in lieu of the freight line or if it were reasonable to put it below grade. Since UPRR has no intention of giving up their ROW the HSR would need to go over the freight lines where trains are often stacked two cars high. The structure would essentially look like putting the I-10 over passes through the middle of the Washington ave neighborhood.

FWIW I am all for more rail transit in Houston. In a perfect world the freight line would relocate outside the city and then the HSR and commuter trains would share that right of way.

I don't disagree. Getting rid of those tracks would be amazing.

It would be cool, but i guess the train will be no more than 50 mph in urban area though.

It will be interesting to see what design is proposed for an I-10 alignment. The existing interior shoulders are at a minimal width, and putting the columns for the elevated train structure in the central shoulder space would use up all of the median and leave no interior shoulder, particularly undesirable for a freeway with 5 lanes each way. In some places the freeway pavement could be widened to the sides, like BigFootSocks mentioned on the sloped embankment in the trenched section, but in many places it will be very difficult and costly, like around Studemont and Heights. Then from Taylor Street eastward there already is an elevated structure in the median, and no available space on the sides for more structures - right-of-way acquisition would be needed and there is a park on the north side, limiting options.  

Along White Oak Bayou just north of downtown, whatever is planned for the train would need to fit both the existing freeway and the planned future design, which is still being developed. Right-of-way is super-tight in the proposed future plan. They could probably work around columns of the elevated train structure, but fewer constraints would be better.

TxDOT probably has a long-term goal of adding HOT lanes inside Loop 610 to connect the existing HOT lanes outside Loop 610 to the planned HOT lanes in the proposed downtown freeway rebuild. That would be one or two lanes in each direction. The elevated train could make HOT lanes difficult or impossible in the tight areas without significant right-of-way acquisition, which may not be feasible.

Generally speaking, the depressed section from TC Jester to Shepherd is the easiest to work with, but the situation becomes much more difficult the closer the alignment gets to downtown.

As for relocating the freight railroad off the Washington rail corridor, that would be nice but I see chances of that as virtually zero. Bryan-College Station tried to relocate the tracks through Texas A&M, but it couldn't be done even though there is plenty of vacant land around the cities. Austin studied relocating the freight trains from the track which goes along MoPac Expressway and through downtown Austin so the track could be converted to transit use, but that that also proved to be impossible. High cost, long distance of the new alignment and lack of willingness of the railroad operators are the usual problems.

It seems to me that the inner-loop NIMBYs are missing an opportunity by their opposition. Placing the HSR on the Washington freight corridor at grade level, then putting in continuous noise abatement (ie noise walls) and underpasses at all cross streets will be most beneficial. The freight train noise is abated and all railroad crossings are eliminated.

Edited by MaxConcrete
  • Like 3

There is no chance the HSR would fit at grade level and include the freight line. The HSR needs at least 50' on each side (plus the clearance for the freight line). We spoke with the president of the TRC and he noted that they already realized an elevated rail would be required.

As a resident of the affected area there is zero value added with HSR coming through and it only negatively affects the area(Assuming an elevated solution and not in lieu of freight)

As a resident of the affected area there is zero value added with HSR coming through and it only negatively affects the area(Assuming an elevated solution and not in lieu of freight)

I mean, there's absolutely no way of knowing if it adds nothing just as there's no way of knowing that it takes it away. That's all purely your opinion at this point, with no information or research that says otherwise. I understand the frustration, but at some point, residents of this area along the Washington corridor cannot keep clamoring for a "quiet and peaceful" neighborhood that is so close to downtown, and is only continuing to become more developed and "urbanized" for a lack of a better term.

It's easy to say it won't add value and will negate it, but it's just as easy to say the opposite. How can you back up that claim though?

Too true. If only there were some large parcel of land...something that has outlived it use...something that currently houses the worst company to ever be placed on this earth by Satan himself. Too bad Lovett already bought it :/

I don't think any cable companies are in downtown.

• Like 3

I mean, there's absolutely no way of knowing if it adds nothing just as there's no way of knowing that it takes it away. That's all purely your opinion at this point, with no information or research that says otherwise. I understand the frustration, but at some point, residents of this area along the Washington corridor cannot keep clamoring for a "quiet and peaceful" neighborhood that is so close to downtown, and is only continuing to become more developed and "urbanized" for a lack of a better term.

It's easy to say it won't add value and will negate it, but it's just as easy to say the opposite. How can you back up that claim though?

Under the assumption there is just an added HSR track it will only pass through the area, and not directly service the neighborhoods it will bisect. Now if it allows expansion of local commuter transit then I believe there would be added value.

Id be interested to hear the perspective on how it would be a positive impact on the Wash Ave corridor. Also under the assumption the freight rail stays and it's just an HSR track.

If you wanna go cheap, yeah.

If they have the money they will go downtown, might as well connect to another employment center.

I recall during a TRC meeting they expected a good bulk of their ridership to have destinations in the Galleria and Energy Corridor. A terminus at NW Mall would provide more flexibility to transfer riders to any of the 3 most likely destinations.

I know that. I'm just going based on the map. This was a corridor approved by the federal government...

If it does run along I-10, I would imagine it would run on the northside of I-10 between the feeder and the main lanes. Then once it gets close to Yale, it appears it would have to go just north of the feeder and take some business with it. Then past Heights Blvd, it can return between the feeder and the main lanes and then go along the bayou near Taylor. Again, that's a complete guess by me.....

• Like 1

Under the assumption there is just an added HSR track it will only pass through the area, and not directly service the neighborhoods it will bisect. Now if it allows expansion of local commuter transit then I believe there would be added value.

Id be interested to hear the perspective on how it would be a positive impact on the Wash Ave corridor. Also under the assumption the freight rail stays and it's just an HSR track.

That's what I'm saying, how are we supposed to know the changes it brings on property value? Unless we look at other HSR cases...and those are all international.

I know that. I'm just going based on the map. This was a corridor approved by the federal government...

If it does run along I-10, I would imagine it would run on the northside of I-10 between the feeder and the main lanes. Then once it gets close to Yale, it appears it would have to go just north of the feeder and take some business with it. Then past Heights Blvd, it can return between the feeder and the main lanes and then go along the bayou near Taylor. Again, that's a complete guess by me.....

If we're just looking at the pic provided in that story then I think that's just the HBJ's pic, and I don't think TCR has explicitly stated what they'd do inside the loop.

But basically, yeah, it's literally a guess for anything right now. It seems like we've come so far from an initial announcement of interest, but we still hardly know anything yet.

• Like 1

That's what I'm saying, how are we supposed to know the changes it brings on property value? Unless we look at other HSR cases...and those are all international.

Fair enough, then it is my opinion that it would negatively impact the area.  :)  

Relative to the potential I-10 alignment, i know they plan to replace the Yale bridge just south of I-10 in 2016, hopefully that work would take an HSR alignment into consideration if that does end up being a real possibility.

• Like 1

I also think the northwest mall is probably the best and most practical solution. I know it probably isn't feasible really, but I keep thinking how nice a station would work out if they could somehow extend the green line up washington and connect it to some newly expanded metro terminus involving the hsr line, then shoot another rail line from it elevated on i-10 out to memorial and maybe katy, build a commuter rail up 90 from sugarland to near the astrodome/medical center, perhaps extend the red line up to exxon somehow, and do whatever they're going to do long term with post oak that connects it to the nw mall terminus also. Personally, that site seems more centrally located to other employment centers than downtown is, and with all those connections we'd start to really have a somewhat cohesive transit rail network. Admittedly, I have no clue how the i-10 line and stops would work; it would just be nice.

Edited by curbur
  • Like 1