Southwest Inn At 6855 Southwest Fwy.

I haven't seen a thread on this tragedy. If there is, could someone direct me to one? If not, I seem to remember recalling that it started a restaurant...based on Google Maps, this looks like Rhojan, but I haven't seen mention it of it on news or the website?

I got the impression that when they said "dozens of people are now homeless" on the news instead of talking about the guests that were unfortunate enough to stay there overnight indicated that this wasn't a normal hotel (some of the first reports I read made it sound like the restaurant was attached to the hotel)

Guess now it's confirmed...

Was the Roadrunner ever a nicer place?

Edited by IronTiger

Bhojan was good. Enjoyed the lunch buffet there quite a few times.

My favorite in that area is still the London Sizzler. Whatever the hell that okra dish is they have is to die for. So good. You can tell from that dish the Eastern African influences on the cuisine. It's like the best of Indian meets the best of Ethiopian. Nom Nom Nom.

We talk a lot of smack on Dallas, but I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to the members of the Dallas Fire Department for manning our fire houses this morning so that our firefighters could say goodbye to four of their own at Reliant Stadium. Also, thanks to firefighters from San Antonio, Fort Worth, Brenham and Galveston. But Dallas chartered two buses to come down to help.

72230514_502d1bb6b8.jpg

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Firefighters-from-across-Texas-fill-in-while-HFD-4579734.php?cmpid=hpfsln

• Like 1

Bhojan was good. Enjoyed the lunch buffet there quite a few times.

My favorite in that area is still the London Sizzler. Whatever the hell that okra dish is they have is to die for. So good. You can tell from that dish the Eastern African influences on the cuisine. It's like the best of Indian meets the best of Ethiopian. Nom Nom Nom.

The best Indian food in the city is Desi grill food truck off veterans memorial

We talk a lot of smack on Dallas, but I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to the members of the Dallas Fire Department for manning our fire houses this morning so that our firefighters could say goodbye to four of their own at Reliant Stadium. Also, thanks to firefighters from San Antonio, Fort Worth, Brenham and Galveston. But Dallas chartered two buses to come down to help.

72230514_502d1bb6b8.jpg

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Firefighters-from-across-Texas-fill-in-while-HFD-4579734.php?cmpid=hpfsln

Agreed

Where was Bhojan in relation to the Southwest Inn? Was it inside the hotel? For some reason, I can't imagine a motel/hotel that is completely run-down as to have permanent residents and a huge crime problem, yet still have enough clout to rent out its restaurant space.

Where was Bhojan in relation to the Southwest Inn? Was it inside the hotel? For some reason, I can't imagine a motel/hotel that is completely run-down as to have permanent residents and a huge crime problem, yet still have enough clout to rent out its restaurant space.

It was attached, but you really didn't interact with the hotel to go to the restaurant. I don't know what the relationship was, but you're right, it does seem kind of strange in retrospect.

It was attached, but you really didn't interact with the hotel to go to the restaurant. I don't know what the relationship was, but you're right, it does seem kind of strange in retrospect.

Maybe the hotel and restaurant were owned by the same people?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bhojan-houston'>The restaurant gets decent reviews on Yelp. Honestly, I just don't see the SW Inn and the Bhojan being owned by the same people. 

I'm guessing that a long time ago, that the Roadrunner Inn (the hotel's former name) was built long before Sugar Land had any clout and was a decent hotel with a restaurant inside. As the hotel declined and the neighborhood deteriorated, the owners decided to lease out the restaurant space instead of closing it entirely.

http://www.swhouston.com/'>Southwest Inn's website, which despite pretending like it's the equivalent of a Days Inn, DOES mention the "Indian restaurant" inside.

The restaurant gets decent reviews on Yelp. Honestly, I just don't see the SW Inn and the Bhojan being owned by the same people.

I'm guessing that a long time ago, that the Roadrunner Inn (the hotel's former name) was built long before Sugar Land had any clout and was a decent hotel with a restaurant inside. As the hotel declined and the neighborhood deteriorated, the owners decided to lease out the restaurant space instead of closing it entirely.

Southwest Inn's website, which despite pretending like it's the equivalent of a Days Inn, DOES mention the "Indian restaurant" inside.

I think that the hotel was probably a non-factor for the restaurant. The biggest draw for the restaurant was that it was authentic and strict vegetarian. The rent was probably cheap, so it made sense.

I really never gave the hotel more than a passing glance when I went there. Of course, I only went for lunch, so I can't speak to what it was like at night.

What quite a few people don't realize, is that it before Road Runner, it was a Ramada.   During my hazy younger years, my friends and I partied at the bar there (it was one big complex with the main/taller building next door.) and it was called the "Rama Room."

Don't recall much after that. Only that I was thankful I had a DD and woke up in strange places.

• The title was changed to Southwest Inn At 6855 Southwest Fwy.