Free Press Summer Fest

I thought I'd start up a thread on the FPSF for a simple reason...like most of you, I am not going to purchase a ticket to this (and it is now sold out), but there are a couple of bands that I'd like to see. Specifically, I'd like to hear Iggy Pop and Social Distortion. So...

1) has anyone sat outside the fences to hear a band before? Where are the best spots?

2) Anyone want to get together to check out some of the bands? With the bike trails next to my house, I have a place to park, grill and drink, and we can bike over to the festival for whatever bands we want to see.

Let me know if you are interested. It is June 1st and 2nd.

Here's a little Ring of Fire to get you in the mood.

I haven't been paying attention. That's a pretty awesome lineup. I've always skipped this event, though, because I sort of got tired of the whole summer concert thing in Houston (esp after several Warped Tours). Social Distortion would be pretty awesome. I thought they blocked off a lot of the trails and stuff so it would be hard to get near a stage?

If you just want to listen and not actually see the stage, I'd suggest going over by the skatepark. There were quite a few people standing/sitting on the other side of the bayou last year. I can't vouch for the sound quality over there, but that would be my recommendation.

We've upgraded to the fancy pants this year to try to mitigate the heat. Prices were extremely reasonable for those on the blind presale.

ya you should've just bought fancy pants tickets during the blind presale... they were something like $40 or $50. hell you could've bought two at presale and flipped one for some insane markup and actually make a healthy profit.

If you just want to listen and not actually see the stage, I'd suggest going over by the skatepark. There were quite a few people standing/sitting on the other side of the bayou last year. I can't vouch for the sound quality over there, but that would be my recommendation.

We've upgraded to the fancy pants this year to try to mitigate the heat. Prices were extremely reasonable for those on the blind presale.

Something like that is what I had in mind. Obviously, I don't need a good view of the stage, or I'd buy a ticket. But, a spot to get a general feel for the music would be cool. Does anyone know where the stages will be and the orientation?

Something like that is what I had in mind. Obviously, I don't need a good view of the stage, or I'd buy a ticket. But, a spot to get a general feel for the music would be cool. Does anyone know where the stages will be and the orientation?

No, they've changed the orientation from last year. Last year, they had two main stages and six smaller stages with the two main stages backing to the bayou and the six smaller stages up on Allen Parkway. This yea, they have three main stages and three smaller stages, so I'm not sure how the layout is. I'm guessing that they'll still have the main stages down by the bayou, but don't know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a FPSF app available for download that shows the configuration of the stages as well as all of the set times.  Search the app store under FPSF and look for the one.  Just be forewarned that there are two apps - look for the one by "Greencopper", it's much better than the other one.

I'll be hanging in the Fancy Pants with the "semi-good looking people" myself.  :)

Excellent! I'll be hanging on the other side of the bayou with the poors.

I did this last year, which was fun but you're not going to be able to differentiate much music between the cacophony of several differing tempos clashing all at once. It's really more so a people watching spot.

This will be my second time to go, last time was 2010 (which was a blast btw). 

The app is definitely nice and handy, but for planning when you're at home you can find all the info on their site. Here is a map of the stages:

http://fpsf.com/go.php#general_info

As mentioned, in years past all the main stages were low on the Bayou facing south. They are also set up so the sound is pretty directional, since there are so many stages you want to be able to separate the sound. I don't think you would be able to distinguish much from the skate park, maybe you could hear the Mercury stage but I'm guess its facing south.

Another option may be the Allen parkway service road on the south side, like by the Fed Reserve. But not sure sound will carry all the way there either. You may want to scout things out this evening before they close everything out. Then you can get an idea of where the stages are and which way they face.

I'm not Fancy, but i guess more middle class. Got the GA blind pre-sale. This is my 4th year, its a no brainer for me cause i love live music and know I'll get my $60 worth as long as there are a few bands I want to see (and this year there are 7 i would pay to see) and i can walk there which makes it easy to go home and refresh and cool off.

Here is the schedule:

http://fpsf.com/learn.php#!programmation=grid$

I am guessing the Mars, Neptune, and Saturn stages are the big ones looking at the lineup.

How has no one mentioned Pall Wall? Show some Houston love!

(ok he's not on my must see list but I'll probably check him out)

i would call summer fest a great success. Saturday was pretty hot and crowded, but Sunday was great. Lots of good shows, Alabama Shakes were a really good act that I think took people by surprise.

several new food vendors this year, and the lines were incredibly long. But the beer and free water lines were quick, so I was happy.

i would call summer fest a great success. Saturday was pretty hot and crowded, but Sunday was great. Lots of good shows, Alabama Shakes were a really good act that I think took people by surprise.

several new food vendors this year, and the lines were incredibly long. But the beer and free water lines were quick, so I was happy.

I give a lot of credit to the FPSF team because I think that they did a great job in addressing the problems from last year.  There were a lot of people there, but the flow was pretty good.  Food lines were long, but there certainly were a lot of options.  It seemed like there was just more demand for food than anticipated because a lot of vendors ran out as well. 

All in all, I agree that it was a great success.  We'll be buying tickets for next year as soon as they go on sale!

• 8 months later...

Last year, didn't they add to the lineup after the initial announcement?

There are 3-4 lesser known bands I would like to see on there for sure, I'm sure plenty more I will like after I check them out. I'll get my money's worth for sure.

They usually add several bands after the initial announcement including some pretty decent mid-tier bands. For example, Alabama Shakes and Social D were both added after the initial announcement last year.  I'm really surprised that Outkast isn't in the lineup because they're playing something like 40 festivals this year.  Wouldn't be surprised if they are one of the bands announced in the next couple of weeks.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

There has been some discussion in the Buffalo Bayou master plan thread on FPSF and how the Allen parkway construction will impact it. I thought this forum would be more appropriate. They released the festival map on the app (not on the website yet). It appears similar to the layout from 2014, going from just west of Gillette in to downtown. One stage appears to be utilizing the amphitheater and there are 3 stages around Sam Houston Park in downtown. Only 5 stages total (hasn't there been 6 the last few years?). Also they have all of Allen highlighted as well as the greenspace between Allen and the bayou. Will be interesting on how much of the parkway they will be able to utilize.

Apologies this is a screenshot from my phone, but it gives an idea.

Archived