Free Press Summer Fest

FREE PRESS SUMMER FESTIVAL 2016 TO RELOCATE TO NRG PARK AFTER STORMS SATURATE ELEANOR TINSLEY PARK  

FESTIVAL WILL GO ON AS PLANNED JUNE 4 AND 5

I'm selling two GA wristbands if anyone is interested PM me. Not being able to walk there is a deal breaker for me, though I really like the lineup.

5 hours ago, brian0123 said:

Example 1, the old Astroworld plot attached by bridge to the already existing NRG parking lot. Nearly same location, just with less concrete to stand on.

Well, OK but that land has, I think, been sub-divided and now has at least two private owners.  The Houston Livestockshow and rodeo owns one bit and others own the other bit.  Which bit are you referring to ( assuming a lease could be even negotiated)?

Would your suggestion to move the concert to "open fields" only apply to privately owned lands?

40 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Well, OK but that land has, I think, been sub-divided and now has at least two private owners.  The Houston Livestockshow and rodeo owns one bit and others own the other bit.  Which bit are you referring to ( assuming a lease could be even negotiated)?

Would your suggestion to move the concert to "open fields" only apply to privately owned lands?

I thought Metro had the other side with the rodeo opening the larger piece. The rodeo portion alone is better than the yellow lot. I can't imagine why rodeo wouldn't help considering how they utilize NRG already. The southern metro rail stop is walking distance as well.

12 minutes ago, brian0123 said:

I thought Metro had the other side with the rodeo opening the larger piece. The rodeo portion alone is better than the yellow lot. I can't imagine why rodeo wouldn't help considering how they utilize NRG already. The southern metro rail stop is walking distance as well.

Metro, I think has a corner of the lot.  HOuston livestock show has 50 acres and the rest is at least one other private owner.

there is zero reason for any of those owners to agree to allow the site to be used.  They "might" chose to allow the land to be used for a concert for a hefty fee -- likely more than the concert promoters would be willing to pay or the concert would already be there.  However, if the issue really is the weather over the last 2 months and the saturation of the ground which is potentially causing stability issues with staging, etc, Free Press would have had an issue with this location too as it is not already covered with asphalt.

Large events like this are often held on public lands for a reason, be they grassy or paved.

I agree with UU about the issue with soft, wet ground and tall, heavy stage structures with all sorts of 'lectical stuff on them.

Besides that (ohhhh, how to phrase this right, worried the longtime life member...)... the rodeo tends to concentrate on its own shows.

Archived