Angelika Film Center closed

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong crowd. It doesn't belong any more in the Galleria than in Times Square.

I think Angelika should move, though. Bayou Place was a mistake. A location in the greater Montrose area would be more visible to its core demographic. Also...even just a little bit of surface parking would do it some good by making it seem more inviting to the lazy man. Most Houstonians (including me) just aren't used to garage parking, parking ticket validation, or having to break sight-line with their destination between parking and walking to the destination's front door. Yes, yes, I know I'm a pu$$y--no need for you urbanistas to call me out. So be it. [shrug]

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Rice Village as an ideal location. The rent might be cost prohibitive for it to actually happen, but I suspect the Angelika's target demographic matches more closely with RIce University/Southhampton/West University than even Montrose.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Rice Village as an ideal location. The rent might be cost prohibitive for it to actually happen, but I suspect the Angelika's target demographic matches more closely with RIce University/Southhampton/West University than even Montrose.

That would be nice but parking in the area is an issue. Don't know if Angelika could work out such a sweet deal with the Village garage.

Well, I did post this after a downtown happy hour and wasn't thinking clearly. I still stand by my statement that the Galleria area is more of a downtown the the real downtown. The Galleria would support the Angelica better than downtown.

Downtown has shopping.

Don't be ridicoulous. Nothing compared to the Galleria area - and most are open late.

Name one.

You may have me there, but Mama's is open very late. There isn't much to eat after 8:00 downtown conpared to the Galleria area though. I could probably name 4x as many places to eat after 8:00 in the Galleria arae.

Downtown has bars

yes it does

I wonder if they could go in at the Pavillions somewhere, or even at Main Place. I like the idea of having a movie house of any kind downtown. Midtown would be my second choice. I feel that Bayou Place as most of the museum district is really horribly designed to begin with. The parking out front and the interface was not appealing at all.

How was attendance at the Plitt theaters (the one on West Gray where Marshall's is now and the one on Augusta)? I would support the Alamo Drafthouse moving inside the loop as most of their special programming takes place on weeknights. What about that spot of land on Westheimer where the AD Players have promised to build a new theatre for about 5 years now? Has anyone heard of Gold Class Cinemas? They are an upscale version of the Drafthouse with locations in Austin and Dallas.

http://www.goldclasscinemas.com/

You may have me there, but Mama's is open very late. There isn't much to eat after 8:00 downtown conpared to the Galleria area though. I could probably name 4x as many places to eat after 8:00 in the Galleria arae.

Sure about that? Flying Saucer, Little Napoli, Table 7 Bistro, Hong Kong Diner, Bombay Pizza, Nit Noi, Cava Bistro, Andalucia Tapas, iii Forks, Yao, Banzai, Azuma, Sambuca, Hard Rock Cafe, Mingalone, McCormick and Schmick's, Morton's, Vic and Anthony's, Strip House, Guadalajara Del Centro, Polk Street Pub, House of Blues, Lucky Strike, Grove, Bistro Lancaster, Spencer's, Hilton Americas Cafe, Samba Grille, Mia Bella, Cielo, Market Square Bar & Grill, Voice, to name a few.

Yes, Angelika to Bookstop and Alamo Drafthouse to Angelika and then life will be ideal. Let's do this!

It would be cool to have two independent venues in two vintage theaters, but I suspect Weingarten would hate the idea of owning two such sites and put the kibosh on it.

Oh, but they left part of the marque as a nod to history!

That really annoyed me. It wasn't even the original marquee I think.

It would be cool to have two independent venues in two vintage theaters, but I suspect Weingarten would hate the idea of owning two such sites and put the kibosh on it.

Give them a little credit. Weingarten is not a two-dimensional Hanna-Barbera-style arch-villain. They might be willing to endure a little loss to lease today to be able to cash in on the goodwill tomorrow. OTOH, if we're facing a sort of "lost decade", then realistic prospects for redevelopment of the River Oaks or Alabama theater sites might be a very long time in coming.

Wrong crowd. It doesn't belong any more in the Galleria than in Times Square.

I think Angelika should move, though. Bayou Place was a mistake. A location in the greater Montrose area would be more visible to its core demographic. Also...even just a little bit of surface parking would do it some good by making it seem more inviting to the lazy man. Most Houstonians (including me) just aren't used to garage parking, parking ticket validation, or having to break sight-line with their destination between parking and walking to the destination's front door. Yes, yes, I know I'm a pu$$y--no need for you urbanistas to call me out. So be it. [shrug]

Wasn't there an art house theater in Greenway Plaza? I seem to remember ruining a favorite shirt there (butter stain that never came out) seeing that awful Björk film.

Sure about that? Flying Saucer, Little Napoli, Table 7 Bistro, Hong Kong Diner, Bombay Pizza, Nit Noi, Cava Bistro, Andalucia Tapas, iii Forks, Yao, Banzai, Azuma, Sambuca, Hard Rock Cafe, Mingalone, McCormick and Schmick's, Morton's, Vic and Anthony's, Strip House, Guadalajara Del Centro, Polk Street Pub, House of Blues, Lucky Strike, Grove, Bistro Lancaster, Spencer's, Hilton Americas Cafe, Samba Grille, Mia Bella, Cielo, Market Square Bar & Grill, Voice, to name a few.

Like I said, I can name at least 4x as many in the Gallera area.

Can someone give me the intricacies of "The landlord terminated our lease"?

When you are on a month-month lease, the landlord can say "**** this" and terminate. I would assume that the landlord has a better deal lined up.

That whole Bayou Place is a mess. All of the tenants are on shaky ground. Nothing there is a good experience. It has gotten worse since all of the action is now at Pavillions. I think that Bayou Place should be either turned into office tenants, like the western portion of the place, or torn down and made into greenspace-park.

When you are on a month-month lease, the landlord can say "**** this" and terminate. I would assume that the landlord has a better deal lined up.

That whole Bayou Place is a mess. All of the tenants are on shaky ground. Nothing there is a good experience. It has gotten worse since all of the action is now at Pavillions. I think that Bayou Place should be either turned into office tenants, like the western portion of the place, or torn down and made into greenspace-park.

Or a hotel.

That was my point about the Galleria. People flock to that place more than anywhere else in Houston. It is also filled with international shoppers and tourist. A 6 screen theatre would be perfect because you can have 1 screen for blockbusters to bring in the casual filmgoer and then devote the other 5 to indie films. Downtown just does not work as a destination spot. I am shocked the Aquarium has survived this long. My wife and I were at the House of Blues last Saturday for lunch and it was just us and another couple. Books a Million was dead.

That was my point about the Galleria. People flock to that place more than anywhere else in Houston. It is also filled with international shoppers and tourist. A 6 screen theatre would be perfect because you can have 1 screen for blockbusters to bring in the casual filmgoer and then devote the other 5 to indie films. Downtown just does not work as a destination spot. I am shocked the Aquarium has survived this long. My wife and I were at the House of Blues last Saturday for lunch and it was just us and another couple. Books a Million was dead.

I hate the damn Galleria area. Over rated and over priced.

I hate the damn Galleria area. Over rated and over priced.

Exactly the kind of area that has tourists and visitors. No one stays in a hotel downtown when they come here, and very few people live downtown. That's why it's dead at night. You can't just build things downtown and expect people to journey to them. First you need to get people staying/living down there - more conventions, more hotels, more lofts/apartments.

Archived