Sign in to follow this  
samagon

Really bad haze today?

Did anyone else notice an excessive amount of haze hanging over the city today?

Is there a fire somewhere causing this? (Don't think It's from those fires in russia)

is it just a perfect storm of the right amount of heat, wind and other factors?

I usually love it outside, but have been happy to stay indoors this afternoon.

I noticed it too. I think there are some wildfires going on in California now, not sure if the haze is associated with those fires though.

Kind of nice with the rain and cloud cover actually. I don't mind the respite from the blistering sun, whatever the reason...

Was the haze associated with fires? I know in the past there have been wildfires in Mexico and the smoke has affected Houston.

Bumping this again, it's horrible today, is there a fire somewhere? I can almost smell the burning.

Yep - they just talked about it on the news....fires (controlled burns) to the north of Houston

http://www.khou.com/news/Forrest-Service-orders-controlled-burn-to-prevent-wildfire-.html

Edited by u080570

Really? I was thinking it was as clear as it's been in weeks on my way into work. South side around 7am, might be far off from you. The stiff north wind helped to clear out some funk.

that was what was so weird, this morning was absolutely amazing, and then driving home it smelled like burning.

Yeah I noticed it the most around MacGregor/Scott area - by 7pm-ish it was moving beyond Hobby..

Though it was interesting that the Chron article stated it was to clear underbrush to allow regrowth (and yesterday the article said something about some endangered bird being able to thrive, i swear i read that)

while the KHOU article sited above states:

The Forest Service said the controlled burn was necessary because conditions were so dry and it feared any little spark could set off a wildfire. It decided to burn the area before a wildfire could start and spread to neighboring residential areas.

Though it was interesting that the Chron article stated it was to clear underbrush to allow regrowth (and yesterday the article said something about some endangered bird being able to thrive, i swear i read that)

while the KHOU article sited above states:

You are correct. They did change it. The way modern journalists work, they copy each other's work and fumble with the rest.