Mai's Restaurant At 3403 Milam St.

kylejack

One of the last remaining vestiges of Little Saigon in Midtown no less,,,

Mai's proximity to the Firehouse Museum is almost disheartening in its irony.

Too bad Little Saigon has gone so far downhill in the last decade, but the growth on Bellaire inside and outside the beltway more than makes up for it.

Sad.. hope they rebuild.. or at least re-locate in the area.. Midtown just wouldn't be the same without a Mai's.. :(

How old was that building anyway.? Old wood I would suspect burns better than today's pressure and bug treated woods..

Sad.. hope they rebuild.. or at least re-locate in the area.. Midtown just wouldn't be the same without a Mai's.. :(

How old was that building anyway.? Old wood I would suspect burns better than today's pressure and bug treated woods..

Nevermind.. built in 1978..

Arson investigators have ruled the fire was accidental. Restaurant employees were cooking when a wok caught fire. They used a fire extinguisher on the flames, but didn't realize the fire had jumped to the vent and spread from there.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7278188

From Mai's web site:

Dear Beloved Friends and Patrons,

First and foremost, we would like to thank everyone for all the outpouring of love and support during this difficult time of loss for our family. Although we suffered a truly tragic event today, we are relieved in knowing that no one was hurt and none of our family or employees were harmed during the incident, which occurred today.

We are proud to have been serving Houston since 1978. Not only did we lose a building and a business today, but we also lost a place where our family's dreams were realized and very fond memories were made. Mai's Restaurant has been a place where our family's hopes and our patrons' loyalty led it to thrive from a small pool hall to a bustling restaurant that stood before today. Our family's journey has been blessed by the support of our family, staff, friends, and gracious patrons.

It is a great condolence to us to hear that our friends and patrons also feel a loss, and that our small family business also meant a great deal to the Houston community. Because of your love and encouragement, our family is making every effort to bring Mai's Restaurant back as quickly as we can. Though we have suffered greatly in this event, we are optimistic about the future and are prepared to renew, reinvent, and rebuild.

Thank you, again, for your continued support during this difficult time for our family. Please continue to come back and visit us online as we will communicate periodic updates about our progress via our website.

On behalf of the Mai's Family,

Anna Pham

General Manager

http://maishouston.com/

Saw the fire as I was going downtown a little after noon yesterday. HFD had already gone defensive so I knew the building was lost. Supposedly started in a kitchen vent. Happens quite frequently when a vent gets a large buildup of grease. 

I don't know that a civilian is gonna be able to tell just by looking that HFD has already "gone defensive!" :)

I don't know that a civilian is gonna be able to tell just by looking that HFD has already "gone defensive!"  :)

A civilian probably couldn't but I am a retired firefighter and when I see the big guns pulled (the master streams on the ladder trucks) I know they have pulled everyone out and gone defensive.  From that moment on the structure is pretty much a future parking lot. 

:)

• Like 1

Not so much as you might think.  I work with the Fringe in real life; I know he's a retired firefighter.  I was teasing him.  ;)

I figured as much but felt like I had to explain it to everyone else.  Didn't want people to think I was trying to be Mr. Know-it-all.    Fire is probably the only thing I do know anything about.

:D

Edited by Fringe

I figured as much but felt like I had to explain it to everyone else. Didn't want people to think I was trying to be Mr. Know-it-all. Fire is probably the only thing I do know anything about.

biggrin.gif

I know a lot about earth. If we can get an expert in wind and one in heart, then we can form a know-it-all Captain Planet.