Shoes Hanging From Power Lines

ToolMan

I noticed a pair of shoes hanging from the power line around Alexander and 9th St this morning. I don't know if this is an urband legend or not, but I have heard it could be a sign for a drug dealer showing he is available for business or a gang showing their territory. Of course it could be some kids messing around...

Have any of you guys ever heard anything like this?

I noticed a pair of shoes hanging from the power line around Alexander and 9th St this morning. I don't know if this is an urband legend or not, but I have heard it could be a sign for a drug dealer showing he is available for business or a gang showing their territory. Of course it could be some kids messing around...

I thought it was for when one of the homies died you hang their shoes over the power lines.

It's a sign that someone has one less pair of shoes in their closet...nothing more.

Its just a bike locked to a sign...something you might see on any given day on any given corner. Just mentally pretend that it belongs to a dude working on his laptop while eating lunch at Brasil or something.

Nope. People need to look at it. It was a senseless tragedy that could have easily been prevented in a vast number of ways.

It was naturalism come to life, and I can assure you, no one likes the ending when the protagonist dies. That sort of ending hasn't been clever in a century. So at the very least, she can live on as a frank reminder of the fragility of the human existence.

Nope. People need to look at it. It was a senseless tragedy that could have easily been prevented in a vast number of ways.

It was naturalism come to life, and I can assure you, no one likes the ending when the protagonist dies. That sort of ending hasn't been clever in a century. So at the very least, she can live on as a frank reminder of the fragility of the human existence.

I do in some contexts. For instance, I liked the ending of We the Living. It was profound.

Yes, I agree which is why I think it should stay, but these guys can't handle it so I'm trying to give them some coping mechanisms since that bike's not going anywhere unless someone breaks out a circular saw.

If a Clear Lake resident is having problems coping with a reminder of a bicyclist's death in Montrose, just imagine the angst he must deal with in seeing all of the white crosses memorializing the deaths of motorists.

If a Clear Lake resident is having problems coping with a reminder of a bicyclist's death in Montrose, just imagine the angst he must deal with in seeing all of the white crosses memorializing the deaths of motorists.

That'd seem to be the difference between litter and religious litter.

...interesting you mention white crosses... because, now that's been added to the bike memorial, there. along with more stuff. and more stuff. what's next, a church?

...wouldn't a more fitting, permanent memorial be to petition the COH and request that Dunlavy be renamed "Leigh Boone" vs. just piling stuff up at an intersection?

...the loss is tragic...

...Clear Lake City and Montrose are both in the City of Houston. I live in Houston.

I'll let Leigh Boone's friends decide what's fitting. You do not appear qualified to make the decision.

FWIW, I have the feeling that your post stems from a feeling that I also have, that Americans have become so shallow and superficial that we are rushing to memorialize every tragedy in a vain effort to bring meaning to our soulless existence. While I, along with you and Niche, may roll my eyes at all of the meorials on street corners, in NYC, on television and in charity solicitations, I generally bite my tongue. Saying something will always be taken the wrong way, and for good reason. It IS rather rude to mock someone else's mourning.

I generally bite my tongue. Saying something will always be taken the wrong way, and for good reason. It IS rather rude to mock someone else's mourning.

Tell me, when was the last time it seemed as though I gave a(n) [insert amusing adjective] [insert four-letter word]?

I actually surprised someone hasn't stolen the bike. As for the shoes, it could literally mean be nothing more than kids playing around. It has no meaning except to those who knew who put them there.

back when i was a small town girl, it was a locker room stunt. steal some dudes sneaks while he was in the shower and wrap 'em on some phone lines. the rumor is once they are up there, they are pretty much impossible to get down. i'm sure the same applies to many of the shoes we see in houston.

I actually surprised someone hasn't stolen the bike.

I'm not. The only people who seem to be upset by the bike appear to be people who live nowhere near the intersection. To everyone else, Leigh was a well-liked member of the community. Preserving her memory, even if it seems maudlin to some here, isn't a contentious issue at the corner of Dunlavy and Westheimer.

Then again, Bryan S wants the bike removed and the street name to be changed. Apparently, a white bike with some flowers is too garish and extravagant to tolerate, but renaming the entire length of a well-known street is fine.

Um, this post was originally about shoes on the lines at 9th and Alexander.

I always understood the shoes on the (any) lines to be a prank, because you can't get to them. I guess it works fine as a reminder of a tragedy and something to remember her by. BryBry, it's Montrose; a bike on a street corner is tame. There's weird stuff all over my hood.

Something that really irked me about this fire truck accident was that Dominque reported the location to be near River Oaks (ooh, la, la). It's straight-up Montrose - say it!

Um, this post was originally about shoes on the lines at 9th and Alexander.

I always understood the shoes on the (any) lines to be a prank, because you can't get to them. I guess it works fine as a reminder of a tragedy and something to remember her by. BryBry, it's Montrose; a bike on a street corner is tame. There's weird stuff all over my hood.

Something that really irked me about this fire truck accident was that Dominque reported the location to be near River Oaks (ooh, la, la). It's straight-up Montrose - say it!

It means a kid got his arse kicked at that spot....

• 2 weeks later...

There was a fella on our Critical Mass ride that collapsed at West Gray and Shepherd on the November ride. I think he was on something. We called the ambulance and waited for them to come pick him up. He was just starting to come around when the ambulance showed up and they carted him off, but I never found out what happened to him. His name was Brent King. Don't know if that's related, but thought I'd share.

• The title was changed to Shoes Hanging From Power Lines

Archived