2012 - Myth, fact, or wait and see

houstonmacbro

Okay, I am not sure this has been discussed or if there is already a topic, but since we are drawing closer to December 21, 2012 which some say the Mayan's predicted as the end of time, let's get this party started like it's 1999 (remember Y2K?). I am not convinced, but I am also not a skeptic ... it seems as if other ancient cultures also had this date set as the end of mankind.

I want to have some juicy discussions here about Niburu/Planet-X, the Mayan and Hopi predictions, the Movie 2012, pole shifts, etc.

C'mon ... if it's the end of the world approaching, shouldn't we discuss it?

http://survive2012.com/

doomsday.jpg

^Yep..

..though I'm fairly certain the human hand will cause the "end of times" and not something made up in the minds of humans.

As I've mentioned before, in a past life I was an archaeologist. One of my two areas of study was in Mesoamerica, specifically with the Maya, more specifically with their mythology and even more specifically with their art, script and iconography. So eveyone knows, and so this point is stated as clearly as possible, nowhere in known ancient Mayan script is 2012 mentioned once. The ancient Maya did not predict the end of the world on December 21, 2012. The date is entirely irrelevant to the ancient Maya. This whole 2012 thing started in the 80s when a couple new age hippies got ahold of some academic essays that showed how the Mayan longcount calendar ended on that day and extrapolated their own mystic beliefs (or were entrepreneurs looking to make a few bucks off selling doomsday books). What that means to the layman is that's the last day of the calendar. That's it, It's not the end of the world, it's just the last day of one millennium. The next day will start a new calendar and a new millennium. See how simple that is?

This isn't to say this wouldn't have been a big deal for the Maya (assuming their culture had survived intact to this day and they'd never lost the knowledge of their script). Sure, it would have been big to them. There probably would have been a few Maya crackpots running around hoarding water and twinkies in their fallout shelters. Of course that would have happened. It's natural. But, that's no different than what a few nuts did here during Y2K. And to make it completely comprehensible, let me use an analogy: Saying the Maya predicted the apocalypse in 2012 is like saying to Romans predicted the apocalypse in the year 2000.

The movie looks like it's going to be a special effects bonanza, not dissimilar to the director's earlier works like Day After Tomorrow, Godzilla (1998) and Independence Day.

Link to trailers in Quicktime format, check em out: http://www.apple.com..._pictures/2012/

After watching the trailer doesn't it kind of remind you of a Day After Tomorrow meets Deep Impact (or vice-versa) sort of film?

Anyhow, while I don't think the world will end in 2012, I think it may turn out to be an interesting year, maybe that's bad or good. About all I can think of that will happen that year will be another Presidential Election, the Summer Olympics and the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

The movie looks like it's going to be a special effects bonanza, not dissimilar to the director's earlier works like Day After Tomorrow, Godzilla (1998) and Independence Day.

Link to trailers in Quicktime format, check em out: http://www.apple.com..._pictures/2012/

After watching the trailer doesn't it kind of remind you of a Day After Tomorrow meets Deep Impact (or vice-versa) sort of film?

Anyhow, while I don't think the world will end in 2012, I think it may turn out to be an interesting year, maybe that's bad or good. About all I can think of that will happen that year will be another Presidential Election, the Summer Olympics and the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

I like the first trailer the best. The one with the old man running along the path and the water streaming over the moutains. Wow. The director certainly knows how to create a spectacle!

As I've mentioned before, in a past life I was an archaeologist. One of my two areas of study was in Mesoamerica, specifically with the Maya, more specifically with their mythology and even more specifically with their art, script and iconography. So eveyone knows, and so this point is stated as clearly as possible, nowhere in known ancient Mayan script is 2012 mentioned once. The ancient Maya did not predict the end of the world on December 21, 2012. The date is entirely irrelevant to the ancient Maya. This whole 2012 thing started in the 80s when a couple new age hippies got ahold of some academic essays that showed how the Mayan longcount calendar ended on that day and extrapolated their own mystic beliefs (or were entrepreneurs looking to make a few bucks off selling doomsday books). What that means to the layman is that's the last day of the calendar. That's it, It's not the end of the world, it's just the last day of one millennium. The next day will start a new calendar and a new millennium. See how simple that is?

This isn't to say this wouldn't have been a big deal for the Maya (assuming their culture had survived intact to this day and they'd never lost the knowledge of their script). Sure, it would have been big to them. There probably would have been a few Maya crackpots running around hoarding water and twinkies in their fallout shelters. Of course that would have happened. It's natural. But, that's no different than what a few nuts did here during Y2K. And to make it completely comprehensible, let me use an analogy: Saying the Maya predicted the apocalypse in 2012 is like saying to Romans predicted the apocalypse in the year 2000.

I was watching this show yesterday and they assert that several cultures, not just the Mayans, had predictions around December 2012. These include the (East) Indians and the Hopi. I guess I'd have to do more research.

The way I've heard it discussed is that it will be the end of the world "as we know it." The world won't just cease to exist, but a huge climatic shift will begin to change everything because the earth will have been at some new, lower than ever spot in the solar system. I guess this is a way to try and justify the "believers" point of view, but it also seems like a scapegoat for when their predictions don't come true and they are looking for a moral victory.

I was watching this show yesterday and they assert that several cultures, not just the Mayans, had predictions around December 2012. These include the (East) Indians and the Hopi. I guess I'd have to do more research.

You can research it all you'd like, but you'll never find any evidence supporting any claims that the world ends on 2012 made by any ancient culture. Apocalyptic scenarios are largely a fascination of western cultures, especially in trying to uncover the future date of said apocalypse. Don't get me wrong, nearly every culture on the planet has pondered an end of existence, but most often these ends are merely the beginnings of new cycles, not exclusively the end. In the minds of the people from many ancient and otherwise primitive cultures, the cycle renewal was akin to the annual shifting of the seasons. Winter ends, spring begins. When spring ends, summer begins. After that, autumn begins. And then the entire cycle begins again.

The way I've heard it discussed is that it will be the end of the world "as we know it." The world won't just cease to exist, but a huge climatic shift will begin to change everything because the earth will have been at some new, lower than ever spot in the solar system. I guess this is a way to try and justify the "believers" point of view, but it also seems like a scapegoat for when their predictions don't come true and they are looking for a moral victory.

Climate change?

^This...

I've always blown off the "2012" thing for years.

The only thing that got my attention was a mention in a show that was about 4 or 5 years old that mentioned a black hole that could go gamma(?), it was highlighted on "The Universe" and mentioned that, theoretically, it should shoot a burst in our general direction.

Given the distance involved, which I think was mentioned at about 200 Million Light Years, if it was more than a few degrees off that it could miss our solar system entirely.

Now, if it HITS even remotely close to our solar system and takes out a planet or two, I'm sure it would make our existence rather short and exciting.

The only thing that got my attention was a mention in a show that was about 4 or 5 years old that mentioned a black hole that could go gamma(?), it was highlighted on "The Universe" and mentioned that, theoretically, it should shoot a burst in our general direction.

Given the distance involved, which I think was mentioned at about 200 Million Light Years, if it was more than a few degrees off that it could miss our solar system entirely.

Now, if it HITS even remotely close to our solar system and takes out a planet or two, I'm sure it would make our existence rather short and exciting.

Just think of it as a finale to a fireworks show. I will have my lawn chair out and ready. :)

What do you mean "lower than ever spot in the solar system"

Are you saying this planet will drop below the orbital plane?

LOL

Black holes don't go "gamma". 200 million light years is quite a distance. Andromeda is "only" about 2.5 million lys away. At 200 mlya even a 1/10000 of 1/10000 of 1/10000 of a degree off and it would likely miss the oort cloud entirely.

It's like aiming for a mitochondria on Sedna - from your porch.

We could experience a solar flare that would unleash a magnetic storm and knock out some of the larger transformers. Definitely not the end of the world but it could put us into a 5-6 year hole without electricity.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/2012storms/

This one is actually a legitimate concern. I don't think it has much to do with the Maya, though. Having said that, I'd wager that a 5-to-6-year electrical gap is unreasonable. I'd expect that the manufacture of new transformers would pretty much be at the top of the priority list.

There are two things that do trouble me, however. One is the short-term survivability of agriculture (and the world's dependence on our high-yield methods), but even then only in the context of the survivability of the energy supply chain. Refineries often have on-site power plants, so they might still be able to function, but can they get the inputs they need and can they effectively distribute their output?

Why are people saying the world will end on 12/21/2012 when nobody knows what will happen that day?

Supposedly the Mayan calendar and some Indian texts (not to mention Nostradamus) predict the world will end in 2012. Who knows..?

The short answer is as long as there are fools in the world, there'll be people taking advantage of them.

I think there is some truth to the fact that the planet will move through the galactic center on that date. Who knows... I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

(Not saying I believe any of it, but I do keep an open mind).

Supposedly the Mayan calendar

It didn't.

and some Indian texts

These predictions don't exist either.

(not to mention Nostradamus) predict the world will end in 2012. Who knows..?

Nostradamus' predictions have been wrong 99.99% of the time, and the .01% of the time they've been right has more to the vagueness of the predictions coupled with the law of limited probabilities. For instance, I can predict there will be a drought in the next century, but that hardly makes me a prophet. And besides, Nostradamus didn't predict the world's end on 2012. A handful of cheesy snake oil salesmen did.

Archived