Rice University Jogging Loop

sevfiv

The Rice University Police Department has learned that over the holiday weekend five people, including one Rice student, have been shot at with an air-powered weapon (possibly a BB gun) while they were walking or running on the soft sidewalk that loops around the campus. They experienced only minor injuries and did not seek medical treatment. In four of the incidents, the shooting was done from a moving vehicle, but the Rice student was shot in the arm by assailants on foot and was also pushed to the ground.

RUPD is urging the Rice community to be cautious around the perimeter of campus and to report any similar incidents.

The first two incidents occurred between 2 and 2:15 p.m. Sunday. A woman who was shot on the sidewalk between entrances 3 and 4 along South Main observed a white pickup truck occupied by two males headed south on Main. A man who was shot along Rice Boulevard between Greenbriar Drive and Entrance 17 also described a white pickup truck, but with three occupants.

The other three incidents occurred on Labor Day between 1:20 and 1:35 p.m. A man who was shot on Rice Boulevard near Hazard Street said the shooter was in the back seat of a gray SUV, possibly a Jeep Grand Cherokee, occupied by three to four white males; the vehicle had a Texas license plate, but the victim did not see the license number. A female Rice student reported that she was shot in the arm on University Boulevard near Morningside by one of two men on foot; one of the assailants was black and pushed her to the ground before both assailants ran away. A female jogger was shot in the arm near Greenbriar Drive and Rice Boulevard by a suspect in a small gray SUV occupied by three white males. The shooter was in the right rear seat.

If you have information that could help RUPD with the investigation of these incidents, call 713-348-6000.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the suicide:

The Houston Police Department has shut down a portion of Main Street, due to an apparent suicide on the Texas Medical Center side of the street at 6410 South Main. This is likely to slow traffic around Entrance 4 [of Rice University]. Please use extra caution or avoid the area if possible.

South Main is getting to be a dangerous place. The Metro shooting a few months ago, this BB gun incident and this morning a jumper of 6410 Main.

I don't think South Main has been particularly safe for quite a while. A German Shepherd might be a good jogging partner.

Forget the German Shepherd and get a CHL and carry a handgun. That way when the morons shoot you with a BB gun, you escalate to a real one that does permanent, serious damage. I guarantee the idiots will stop bothering people after that.

The jumper was Charles Rosenkrans, an ex-conductor of the Houston Grand Opera:

Charles Rosekrans, who conducted the Houston Grand Opera in its early years, died Tuesday after a plunge from a Texas Medical Center building. He was 75.

Houston Police Department investigators are treating the death as an apparent suicide. HPD spokesman John Cannon said Rosekrans jumped from the eighth floor of the UT Professional Building Garage at 6414 Fannin.

Rosekrans was a prominent figure in opera and chamber music, said Jim Bernhard, a former general manager of the Society for the Performing Arts and Theater Under The Stars.

“I think for Houston arts, he was certainly a major influence on our development and growth,” Bernhard said.

Rosekrans was recruited to the HGO by its founding general director, Walter Herbert, for the 1958-59 season, the opera's records indicate. He served as chorus master, assistant and associate conductor and music director, performing with stars such as Cornell MacNeil and James McCracken. He conducted the company's world premier of Thomas Pasatieri's The Seagull.

Rosekrans left the Houston opera in 1975.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/deaths/6611128.html

Wouldn't it be nice to know. Seemed like he was a popular dude. Maybe he got some real bad medical news and decided to take the easy way out. I often wonder if I would have the guts to do the same in that situation.

Jumping from a building is a pretty dramatic way to off one's self. I wouldn't expect a peaceful suicide from ODing on oxycontin for someone who formerly led the Houston Grand Opera. Those theater folks, they're all about the drama.

South Main is getting to be a dangerous place. The Metro shooting a few months ago...

I couldn't find the original thread about the Metro shooting, but the details were that a man was allegedly harassing people at the Dryden station, when Metro police showed up he ran over to the jogging trail and pulled a knife, and the Metro cop tasered and then shot him with a real gun, killing the suspect and injuring a nanny who was on the trail. Anyway, that's my little recap, because the officer involved has killed himself.

An unidentified male's body was discovered at 3:45 a.m. September 5 in a car in the 9300 block of Richmond.

"Patrolofficers responded to a shooting-in-progress call and found the victimsitting in the driver's seat of his vehicle with a gunshot wound to thehead," HPD said at the time.

HPD spokesman Victor Senties tells Hair Balls, "The case has been closed out as a suicide."

http://blogs.houston...cop_suicide.php

My guess is Caitlin didn't show up for class today :o

Four people have been charged in connection with BB gun shootings around Rice University and along the Gulf Freeway, KPRC Local 2 reported Thursday.

Rice University and Houston police said Caitlin Barnett, 19, John Michael Chargois, 22, Paul Helton, age unknown, and Bonnie Mugg, 21, have been charged with felony aggravated assault.

Chargois, Helton and Mugg have been arrested. A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Barnett, who is a Rice University student.

Barnett and Chargois are the only two suspected to be involved in all of the shootings.

Four people were wounded by BBs while running on the soft city sidewalk around Rice University's perimeter on Sept. 6 and 7. Two of the shootings happened near South Main at Campus Entrances No. 3 and No. 4. Other shootings occurred near Greenbriar Drive at Rice Boulevard. One of the victims was shot then knocked to the ground as she walked on University Boulevard near Rice Village.

The BBs were fired from passing vehicles, police said.

The victims suffered minor injuries and did not seek medical treatment.

Police said other BB shootings were reported on Bissonnet Street and two were reported on the Gulf Freeway.

The BBs were allegedly fired from a white Ford Ranger owned by Barnett and a gray Ford Escape owned by Mugg, police said.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/21103820/detail.html

Yeah, and her arrest is still "pending" while two remain in jail and one posted bond...

Chargois and Helton remain in the Harris County Jail with bail set at $30,000 each. Mugg was released Thursday after her bail was posted.

Barnett's arrest is still pending, Rice University officials said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6635836.html

Heh, she's on the debate team. I guess she's exploring new methods of persuasion. Looks like she also competed in a college forensics tournament. For someone apparently studying criminology she didn't cover her tracks well.

Forensics is another term for a speech and debate squad as well as the science of criminology. It's sorta confusing, I know, but forensics tournaments have nothing to do with giving awards, judging speed and accuracy for teams and individuals, for analyzing dead bodies to determine time and cause of death. The reality of a forensics tournament is considerably less exciting than that.

In other words, the student may not have been trained to cover her tracks, but she'd be trained to convince others she had nothing to do with the crime.

Forensics is another term for a speech and debate squad as well as the science of criminology. It's sorta confusing, I know, but forensics tournaments have nothing to do with giving awards, judging speed and accuracy for teams and individuals, for analyzing dead bodies to determine time and cause of death. The reality of a forensics tournament is considerably less exciting than that.

In other words, the student may not have been trained to cover her tracks, but she'd be trained to convince others she had nothing to do with the crime.

Haa, well that makes more sense.

Archived