Rice University Jogging Loop

sevfiv

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing new. Our whole justice system, from parking tickets to capital murder is built on how much money you're willing to spend.

Hooray for free enterprise! Capitalism wins again!

Or, maybe there were facts in the case we weren't privy to as armchair lawyers that exonerated her from the worst of the crimes, but we don't know that do we?

BTW, she did get kicked out of Rice for this incident. A state college degree is rarely as valuable in terms of long-term earning potential as a degree from a prestigious private university like Rice. So, sure she got off with a slap on the wrist, but she also just screwed up her entire future.

Hooray for free enterprise! Capitalism wins again!

Or, maybe there were facts in the case we weren't privy to as armchair lawyers that exonerated her from the worst of the crimes, but we don't know that do we?

BTW, she did get kicked out of Rice for this incident. A state college degree is rarely as valuable in terms of long-term earning potential as a degree from a prestigious private university like Rice. So, sure she got off with a slap on the wrist, but she also just screwed up her entire future.

Her "entire future" being "screwed up" pales in comparison to the trouble the others will have in life with a violent felony conviction on their record.

Her "entire future" being "screwed up" pales in comparison to the trouble the others will have in life with a violent felony conviction on their record.

Yeah, but again, we don't know all the details of the case. If everyone's culpability was equal, then the others got a pretty rotten plea bargain. If the other three were the ones who committed all the actual beatings, and Barnett was nothing more than a witness to her poorly chosen friends' crimes, then justice was meted fairly. Then again, we don't know. Saying the sentencing was unfair and casting it as a battle between the rich and the poor is merely speculative.

While I don't agree with the sentence, I'm sure they will screw up their probation.

Why? Do you suppose these are inherently bad people incapable of growing into better people? Or, are you making a sharp criticism of our justice system and the flaws inherent in the entire concept of rehabilitation?

Why? Do you suppose these are inherently bad people incapable of growing into better people? Or, are you making a sharp criticism of our justice system and the flaws inherent in the entire concept of rehabilitation?

Depending on the nature of the offense, people will "generally" continue their behavior until they are caught again. In this case, a couple of them MIGHT have learned their lesson and gotten a talking to by their parents, but I doubt the others will be that bright.

Depending on the nature of the offense, people will "generally" continue their behavior until they are caught again. In this case, a couple of them MIGHT have learned their lesson and gotten a talking to by their parents, but I doubt the others will be that bright.

What evidence do you have for this cynicism? Do you really think it's true just because someone does a bad thing they are inherently bad people? Ricco, I guarantee you've broken the law in your life. Are you a bad person?

What evidence do you have for this cynicism? Do you really think it's true just because someone does a bad thing they are inherently bad people? Ricco, I guarantee you've broken the law in your life. Are you a bad person?

I don't think that people that do a bad things are people that need a mental adjustment. Period. Whether or not this does make them fly straight is yet to be determined, but how many times have we seen people commit crime in their youth continue the pattern before they finally make the news?

I've broken a few traffic laws in the past, but all were not intentional (except for that incident outside of Pecos, Texas...but that's a different story), but I have never zoomed down the Freeway at 90mph for thrills.

Am I a bad person? That's not for me to say, but then again, ask anyone's opinion about anyone and you'll eventually get someone who doesn't like them.

but how many times have we seen people commit crime in their youth continue the pattern before they finally make the news?

A handful, but I'd venture to say they're the exception to the rule. Besides, there's no way to track that sort of data anyhow. All we can do is track the recidivism rate of people who get caught committing crimes, not all the people who commit crimes period, and certainly not ALL the people who commit crimes multiple times without getting caught. I think your critique should be directed at the institutions that are supposed to reform criminals but instead train them to be better criminals. Or, perhaps your criticisms should be leveled at the society that ostracizes individuals for their past errors, effectively making it impossible for them to get ahead by any means other than criminal means. Or, perhaps you should vent your ire against the reactive government which imposes ridiculous, heavy-handed and draconian laws that do little to make life better for us honest folk while increasing our tax burden by filling our jails with more and more people.

Besides, your question can be worded oppositely: How many times have we seen people who've never previously committed a crime commit a heinous act that made the news? (This happens quite frequently - especially with serial murderers and white collar crimes.)

Besides, your question can be worded oppositely: How many times have we seen people who've never previously committed a crime commit a heinous act that made the news? (This happens quite frequently - especially with serial murderers [...]

Literally impossible. A killer's first kill isn't yet serial. A killer's second kill is serial, but is no longer someone who never previously committed a crime. B)

Literally impossible. A killer's first kill isn't yet serial. A killer's second kill is serial, but is no longer someone who never previously committed a crime. cool.gif

But they weren't caught the first time. They wouldn't be serial murderers if they were caught and stopped after their first murder. So no, it's not impossible unless you're talking to the semantics police - in which case my verbal faux pas would probably be enough to place me on five years felony probation. And I'd probably get kicked out of Rice... or at least out of the Rice English Department.

• 6 months later...

From Rice police:

At approximately 6:45 this evening [saturday, August 28], two female students walking on the soft sidewalk along Rice Boulevard near Entrance 21 were struck by pellets from an air gun fired from an eastbound vehicle. Each student was struck once in the leg, but neither was seriously injured and did not require medical attention.

The students described the vehicle as a gold, four-door Jeep with a six-digit Texas license plate, but the plate number is unknown. The shooter was one of four occupants in the vehicle. He was seated in the left rear passenger’s seat and was described as a white male, approximately 18 years of age. The weapon was described as a neon orange air rifle or handgun with an eight- inch barrel.

The Rice University Police Department (RUPD) and neighboring police agencies conducted a search of the surrounding area, but neither the vehicle nor suspect has been located. If you see a vehicle or a person matching the description above, please contact RUPD 713-348-6000.

• The title was changed to Rice University Jogging Loop- Air Powered Weapon Shootings
  • The title was changed to Rice University Jogging Loop

Archived