HAIF-HD Upgrade

editor

Another new feature you may or may not have noticed.

You can now attach images directly to your posts and have them display in your message. You no longer have to have a separate photo host. Your photos will appear as thumbnails (if necessary) that expand when clicked. It works pretty well.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• The "Back to top" button has been restored. It is now next to the "Report" button on the left side of each post.
  • Find My Posts added to the user drop-down menu.
  • Find My Topics added to the user drop-down menu.

Do we have to log in and log out for the changes to go into effect... I got none of the above.

On a very bright note though, the "New Content" button seems to be working as we all know and love. I now see this thread on the list regardless if a new post is there or not. Bravo !!

I hope everyone had a nice Independence Day. As you can tell, I didn't spend it in front of the computer making changes to HAIF. I went to a movie and then had a steak and corn on the cob from The Weber Grill, then went window shopping and read the entire Saturday New York Times in a squishy hotel lobby. I hope everyone else got a chance to spend some time with their loved ones yesterday, too.

Weber Grill = yum! For those of you who haven't been to Chicago, it's a restaurant where they cook your order on big, gas-fired Weber Grills, like the little, round charcoal one in your backyard. Very tasty.

Thanks for all your hard work, Ed.

• The calendar appears to be fixed. Please test this for me to make sure.
  • The calendar now includes the ability to add recurring events.

Also, note that "View New Content" is really about content, not just posts. If you're in the calendar and click "Find new content" it's going to try to show you new calendar events that have been added recently. If you're in the blog, it will try to show you new blog entries.

Fortunately, you can just click the "Forums" tab to jump straight to the View New Content results for forum messages.

Is there a way to see number of pages (for topics with more than one page) in the new content results? Before you could click on the link to the topic or the page number..

K - now I'm directed to the last page. Something changed for the better since last time I tried!

• Sidebar now shows the status updates of those HAIFers who have most recently updated their status in their profile, or in their linked Facebook account.
  • Sidebar now shows the most recent blog entries.
  • Sidebar now shows a mini-calendar that clicks through to events in the HAIF calendar.
  • Sidebar now shows today's top posters.

• View New Content link is now under the user drop-down box.
  • View New Content now shows all content since the user's last visit, not just strictly new content.

I would suggest you put #1 back out in the open where it is obvious. Noticing that feature sitting out in the open one day made HAIF infinitely more useful and interactive for me.

Thanks for fixing #2.

Fixed the RSS feeds.

For those of you into RSS, HAIF has five feeds:

Houston Architecture Info Forum - http://feeds.feedburner.com/HAIF

The Houston Posts - http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheHoustonPosts

Community Calendar - http://feeds.feedburner.com/HAIFCalendar

Fine Arts - http://feeds.feedburner.com/HAIFFineArtsCalendar

Houston Music - http://feeds.feedburner.com/HAIFHoustonMusicCalendar

After 24 hours of trying to use and become aclimated to the new format, I am frustrated and flat worn out. The biggest problem is the new content page. By dropping a topic off the page after it has been read, it discourages adding a reply. Many times, I will read topic and think about it before posting a reply. Other times, I may want to post an article, a photo or research in my post, meaning I leave HAIF to get that information. The new format causes the topic to disappear, meaning I have to search through HAIF to find it again. Needless to say, I won't do that often.

The forum jump at the bottom of the page is nice, and the previous/next topic link is even better. However, if I am in New Content, I want to jump to the next new post, not the next topic in that section.

The overall layout may be prettier, but it seems to have less information and fewer links to things I intuitively want to link to.

The new format seems mostly to help the person looking for specific information, and punish the frequent poster who has already read much of the historical content, and wants mainly to read new content and contribute to it. As one of those posters, I must admit that it is frustrating enough that I have walked away from the site several times already. Whereas in the old format I could almost feel the other posters in the room with me, now I feel like an outsider looking for unlocked doors in a very large building. It doesn't feel like anyone else is online.

Those have always been there. Even in the old format. I do agree about feeling alone. In the old HAIF, it felt much more active than in the new design. You feel like you're the only one here.

HAIF:Now now has an iPhone/iPod Touch icon. If you've already put HAIF:Now on your iPhone or iPod Touch, the icon will automatically update itself the next time you touch it.

A minor victory, but one more thing off the list.

Those have always been there. Even in the old format. I do agree about feeling alone. In the old HAIF, it felt much more active than in the new design. You feel like you're the only one here.

I think part of the reason is b/c HAIF has been half-dead the past few days. But I sort of get that feeling too. Hopefully it will change once things ramp up again.

• Added proper Share this page buttons to topics.

25 years ago today you would have found me on a pleasant July 5th sitting in my room tapping away at my Commodore 64, listening to Duran Duran on the radio, working on revisions to an online community called The Nowhere BBS.

25 years later the only thing that's changed is the computer and the name of the community.

I would suggest you put #1 back out in the open where it is obvious. Noticing that feature sitting out in the open one day made HAIF infinitely more useful and interactive for me.

Thanks for fixing #2.

I completely agree. In fact, it really needs to have its own "button" graphic. It's a very important link.

HAIF:Now now has an iPhone/iPod Touch icon. If you've already put HAIF:Now on your iPhone or iPod Touch, the icon will automatically update itself the next time you touch it.

A minor victory, but one more thing off the list.

Just logging in after an eventful weekend.

I am living all these little updates Wayne.

It's been a long time coming.

I am off to check out the new digs!

The layout is much better now. I figured you were either taking a break or letting the comments accumulate before you changed things. I agree with Niche that the New Posts tab should be in a conspicuous place, but I can certainly live with it where it is currently.

I look forward to trying out the HAIF on Blackberry. HAIF was a lifesaver during Ike, but going to the full version in order to post replies was burdensome. I cannot get a good signal where I am currently sitting, but I'll check it out later.

Archived