Are HAIFer's Normal?

ricco67

Did a little bar hopping with some friends yesterday (I'm pretending to have a life), and as we passed some of the construction sites mentioned here, I would occasionally hear someone ask "What is that?"

With that, a couple of my friends pointed at me and I began to spew what I know of some of the projects.

After the 4th project, a couple of people asked me how I KNOW this stuff and I casually mentioned the site and the newspapers.

Finally someone said why would anyone care about all of the construction projects here?

Are we atypical or is the typical Houstonian Clueless as to what happens in and around the city?

Edit: General hungover stupidity.

Agreed. Most people don't take an interest in the world around them. They know their little world and comfort zone. Anything beyond that simply doesn't exist. It's like how someone I know in New York thinks it's possible to drive to Houston in a couple of hours. Blinders. Willfully.

Another illustration -- A HAIFer will wonder if the new strip center being built in the neighborhood will have a green roof and a traffic management plan. A non-HAIFer will wonder if there's going to be a Subway and a dry cleaner.

Well, this HAIFer will wonder if other HAIFers will whinge about another mattress store in that new strip center

Edit: replaced "delicate flower" with "whinge"

WHINGE??

I had to look it up. I guess HAIFers like using obscure words. I may act like the caveman of the group, but it's unfair to put a geico sign on me. :(

WHINGE??

I had to look it up. I guess HAIFers like using obscure words. I may act like the caveman of the group, but it's unfair to put a geico sign on me. :(

i had an occasion at work this past week to suggest some restaurants and discuss development around houston. i guess my passionate, detailed responses revealed more than i realized. i was asked how i know all this and how do i remember so many details. my answer was simply, "i enjoy this stuff.". it was as if certain people in the office didn't really know me and a light went on in their minds as i blathered on about this building and that establishment. although i've passed out haif cards to potential members and discussed the website on a regular basis, it wasn't until i "geeked" out that they made the connection.

yes, haifers are different.

Agreed. Most people don't take an interest in the world around them. They know their little world and comfort zone. Anything beyond that simply doesn't exist. It's like how someone I know in New York thinks it's possible to drive to Houston in a couple of hours. Blinders. Willfully.

Another illustration -- A HAIFer will wonder if the new strip center being built in the neighborhood will have a green roof and a traffic management plan. A non-HAIFer will wonder if there's going to be a Subway and a dry cleaner.

I would take your first comment a little further. Not only do most people not notice the world around them, they do not care to know about the world around them. Many people are so self-absorbed in their mobile phones, their cars, their radios or music, that they do not even notice what is taking place around them in the real world.

It's really sad that most people are so clueless and unaware ... and their proud of it.

I get sick of hearing "I dunno."

Do a survey of the people you meet - at work, park, church etc. Ask about Fred Hartman Bridge, Washburn Tunnel, Elysian viaduct, Discovery Green, Houston Pavillions, Memorial Hermann Tower. See how many people know about these places. Some 40-yr old native Houstonian don't even know there are at least two airports in Houston! How dumb!

Do a survey of the people you meet - at work, park, church etc. Ask about Fred Hartman Bridge, Washburn Tunnel, Elysian viaduct, Discovery Green, Houston Pavillions, Memorial Hermann Tower. See how many people know about these places. Some 40-yr old native Houstonian don't even know there are at least two airports in Houston! How dumb!

People are just into themselves and their trinkets and each other rather than their surroundings. I find it sad and annoying. I like to share in the beauty and wonder of a place, natural and manmade landmarks. I have a relative that works downtown and she can't name a single building outside of the one she works in...

However, she can name who is doing who in Hollywood.

I've taken my wife to so many wonderful places around, she enjoys it a lot, but when I took her to DG and the skatepark on the opening days she asked me where exactly do I get my information. Now she love to read HAIF also, esp when arguments get heated up.

I have always thought that we were all born with an eye for architecture.

Besides the new construction, I also wonder what used to be on an empty lot, or building site, at a location, especially if it sits in an old part of the city. I get made fun of all the time, by non-haifers, of course. :angry2:

There are definitely different levels of ignorance. Some people just like to say, "I wonder what they're doing there...", but don't care enough to look into it. They are generally impressed and interested when you can answer the question. Then there are those who don't even notice the 100 ft crane, they just complain about the muddy mess in their street from "something". You can tell them what's going on, and usually they give a "that's nice" type of "I don't care" answer.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with not caring, just pointing out that yes, HAIFers are different.

I know what you mean. During the construction of Discovery Green and Houston Pavilions, I'd tell people all about what was going on with downtown and they'd just answer with a "oh", maybe make an obligatory comment to show interest then and continue on with whatever they're doing. It's sort of frustrating.

That's why there are places like Haif, right?

houstonmacbro:

However, she can name who is doing who in Hollywood.

That's annoying. That's one thing that I couldn't care less about. I find Hollywood's personal lives so uninteresting.

I got a similar response from a friend when I met him downtown (where he works) for lunch one day. I asked him if he was excited about the Pavilions and he had no clue what I was talking about, even though he worked at 1111 Fannin - NEXT DOOR.

Once I explained it all to him, his only response was: "cool". <_<

I got a similar response from a friend when I met him downtown (where he works) for lunch one day. I asked him if he was excited about the Pavilions and he had no clue what I was talking about, even though he worked at 1111 Fannin - NEXT DOOR.

Once I explained it all to him, his only response was: "cool". <_<

It makes you wonder if certain hu-mans are under some sort of sinister, alien mind control.

I learned the truth one day when speaking with a crowd of people at a social gathering & mentioned having lived in LA for 10 yrs. They all said at the same time "What the hell are you doing in Houston?

You simply don't belong here...but in a kind way.

Ironically there are many West coast people in and around Houston now. :D

I once mentioned on Haif that I must be the only one listening to Henri Mancini tunes, watching a silent film or a foreign film (in Italian) or reading Celestine Prophesies within a 50-100 mile radius. Kind of like being on a deserted island sometimes, but loving it!

but to answer the question, well what is normal? I never wanted to be like everyone else, yuk!

In the madness of all of Haif, maybe there finally is something everyone can finally agree on. :mellow:

Now I'm the mood for a Martini while doing a Mambo or a Cha Cha Cha. The Mancini Greatest is the ultimate! Reads like a list of who's who and I noticed that it depends on what greatest you choose they are all different compilation of about 23 hits? Wow what a revelation.

These favs put you in 1962 at a swank lounge in Manhattan or there about's. Do a Google to see the lyrics and you will see why they were always being chosen for films. Buy the DVD's too...a must!

1. Days of Vino and Rosas

2. Charade

3. Moonriver

Archived