Are HAIFer's Normal?

ricco67

I don't think we're abnormal, we're just more in-tune with what's happened, and what's happening in Houston, and that's a good thing. I'll admit, I don't know every single thing in Houston history, nor do I see myself as a know-it-all because I probably know more than the average Houstonian does about local paraphernalia, but I enjoy learning, and teaching it to others. For example, I pointed out the two Starbucks right across the street from each other at W. Gray and Shepherd to a family member riding in the car with me. I never would've noticed that and gotten a good laugh about the (over)popularity of Starbucks had I not read about it in a thread here.

It's not just Houston history that I enjoy, but I like to watch the History Channel when I get a chance, and I'm also a Black Gospel Music Historian, so when I'm not on HAIF in my freetime, I'm listening to vintage gospel and studying the discography of old artists and the labels they sang on such as Savoy and Peacock, the latter label IS a Houston connection.

I like Houston History so much that when a class was offered for it at UHD, I took it as an elective, and learned quite a bit in the process. I picked a project and interviewed some local key figures in Houston's history, some living legends, and let me tell you, it was a ball. I don't know what it is about my fascination with the past.

When I mention the history of something among certain friends (not all as not all of them will appreciate it) some are like "wow, that's interesting, no, it really is, I've learned something today!" Others, mostly older folks are like "yeah, I knew that, you're telling me about what I lived through, youngblood!" :P

I've been living in Riverside for all of my life, and I love the variety of architecture and I like preservation. While I don't like every new house being built out here, I've gladly noticed that a few are trying to fit in with the older architecture. I've been laughed at by my siblings because I liked a MCM on Roseneath better than a new McMansion located not too far away from it, I think I posted a picture of the MCM not too long ago. But that's alright, because when the McMansion has gone out of style, the nicely maintained MCM will still have that timeless curb appeal. I'm a HAIFer in mostly the neighborhood history and roadgeek/transportation vein, and that's why you may see me asking a question on the history and integration of Riverside Terrace one minute, and then asking about past freeway expansion projects or those cool concrete street sign markers the next. I don't see that as being weird or abnormal, I see it as quenching a thirst for more education.

I've been living in Riverside for all of my life, and I love the variety of architecture and I like preservation. While I don't like every new house being built out here, I've gladly noticed that a few are trying to fit in with the older architecture. I've been laughed at by my siblings because I liked a MCM on Roseneath better than a new McMansion located not too far away from it, I think I posted a picture of the MCM not too long ago. But that's alright, because when the McMansion has gone out of style, the nicely maintained MCM will still have that timeless curb appeal. I'm a HAIFer in mostly the neighborhood history and roadgeek/transportation vein, and that's why you may see me asking a question on the history and integration of Riverside Terrace one minute, and then asking about past freeway expansion projects or those cool concrete street sign markers the next. I don't see that as being weird or abnormal, I see it as quenching a thirst for more education.

Great response! :D

On a side note, that theater that used to stand on Dowling not far from Emancipation Park has finally been torn down...completely. :( It was just a shell with walls and grass now gone forever. We had discussed briefly on a past topic or thread rather. We need more stories from locals in this area!

Great response! :D

On a side note, that theater that used to stand on Dowling not far from Emancipation Park has finally been torn down...completely. :( It was just a shell with walls and grass now gone forever. We had discussed briefly on a past topic or thread rather. We need more stories from locals in this area!

Hmm... I can't picture it, and I'm on Dowling quite a bit. Was it close to the Eldorado Ballroom, or closer to I-45?

Hmm... I can't picture it, and I'm on Dowling quite a bit. Was it close to the Eldorado Ballroom, or closer to I-45?

about 1-2 blocks from 45 across the street is a field of grass where other homes or retail once stood. You could tell it was a theater once so I asked and I think sevfiv showed us the theater built around 1947. I am almost sure it was called The Dowling Theater? I cant think of the cross street right now. That whole corner has been depleted of anything and everything that looked familiar. Kind of sad really.

I was reading the history of that Eldorado Ballroom, great story... always happy to hear when a bldg. like that is still standing. I know, I know, I'm topic straying.

Archived