Tropical Storm Edouard - 2008

HtownWxBoy

7:00 am bulletin from the National Hurricane Center. Edouard weakened very slightly overnight, but has now strengthened back to where it was at about 10 pm last night.

WTNT35 KNHC 041138

TCPAT5

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM EDOUARD INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 4A

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052008

700 AM CDT MON AUG 04 2008

...EDOUARD CONTINUES WESTWARD WITH NO CHANGE IN STRENGTH...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THE MOUTH OF THE

MISSISSIPPI RIVER WESTWARD TO SAN LUIS PASS. A TROPICAL STORM

WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN

THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEST OF INTRACOASTAL CITY

LOUISIANA TO PORT O'CONNOR TEXAS. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT

HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY

WITHIN 36 HOURS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE

INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED

BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 700 AM CDT...1200Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM EDOUARD WAS

LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 90.3 WEST OR ABOUT 80

MILES...135 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF GRAND ISLE LOUISIANA AND ABOUT

285 MILES...460 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF GALVESTON TEXAS.

EDOUARD IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/HR. A TURN TO

THE WEST-NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED TODAY...WITH A WEST-NORTHWESTWARD

MOTION EXPECTED TO CONTINUE ON TUESDAY. BY TUESDAY MORNING THE

CENTER OF EDOUARD IS EXPECTED TO BE VERY NEAR THE UPPER TEXAS COAST

OR THE COAST OF SOUTHWESTERN LOUISIANA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 50 MPH...85 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. SOME INCREASE IN STRENGTH IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24

HOURS...AND EDOUARD COULD BE NEARING HURRICANE STRENGTH BEFORE

REACHING THE COASTLINE.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 35 MILES...55 KM

FROM THE CENTER.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE

HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE WAS 1002 MB...29.59 INCHES.

A STORM SURGE OF 2 TO 4 FT ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED

IN THE WARNING AREA IN AREAS OF ONSHORE WINDS.

EDOUARD IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4

INCHES ALONG PORTIONS OF THE LOUISIANA COASTAL COUNTIES INTO

SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS. ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 6 INCHES ARE

POSSIBLE OVER SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN LOUISIANA

AND THE UPPER TEXAS COAST LATER TODAY.

REPEATING THE 700 AM CDT POSITION...28.1 N...90.3 W. MOVEMENT

TOWARD...WEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1002 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL

HURRICANE CENTER AT 1000 AM CDT.

$$

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd swear by the way people (and the media) are acting it is headed right for downtown Houston (actually some of the models do predict a swipe through Houston area).

Anyhow, unless it breaks to a Cat 1 - 2 I am not even thinking about this other than we'll get more much-needed rain and some nice cool breezes.

You'd swear by the way people (and the media) are acting it is headed right for downtown Houston (actually some of the models do predict a swipe through Houston area).

Anyhow, unless it breaks to a Cat 1 - 2 I am not even thinking about this other than we'll get more much-needed rain and some nice cool breezes.

Actually, virtually EVERY model shows it cutting a swath through Houston. Maybe you are watching the wrong media.

I was thinking the same thing. Is it time to "Hunker Down?" The weather guys should all be getting excited about now because they may get to use their other favorite term.."Cone Of Uncertainty!"

Here is a cone of certainty:

menu_ice_cream_cone-735214.jpg

Reminds me of something my neighbor said just before Allison.

I wasn't here for Allison, but I heard about it and saw the pictures. That was a bit before news was widely available 24/7 on the web so a lot of what I saw was like 2nd hand and through photos.

Not sure, I was here for Rita and it was minor (although you're right, it didn't come this way exactly), but I don't have high trees near my home, I do not live in a flood zone, and I am north of the city (Ella/1960) so unless it is a 100' tidal wave and Cat 5 winds, I am not gonna run and hide.

Where would I go anyhow?

This is totally going to screw up flying out for vacation early Wednesday morning, isn't it? Dammit! I love storms, but not when they mess up an already too short vacation! It better be well past or well weakened by Wednesday at 7:41am!!!

Alicia didn't become a hurricane until it was just south of the TX-LA border, so this has plenty of room to strengthen. It needs to move inland quickly to keep it from getting stronger. Computer models are notoriously bad at predicting intensity of small storms like this.

I'm pretty sure hurricanes don't bring cooler weather. Just the opposite, because the humidity makes it feel a lot hotter.

There was a harried, almost distraught, lady buying a bunch of 12 packs of bottled water at the Valero in my hood this morning. A few people clearly had not seen or heard any weather news--and were surprised to hear a storm was heading right toward us. It was a weird early morning scene for a Monday.

I wasn't here for Allison, but I heard about it and saw the pictures. That was a bit before news was widely available 24/7 on the web so a lot of what I saw was like 2nd hand and through photos.

I wasn't in Houston for Allison, either. I left for vacation the day before and returned a couple of days after. I was in Saint Paul and the deep northwoods of Minnesota, and I was able to keep up with what was going on with the Allison catastrophe. It was on the radio and all over the newspapers and television. My first hint that it was going to be big was when it was the top story on the light-up news ticker that wraps around the Minnesota Public Radio building. I think your reliance on one medium (the web) for information is more of a hinderance than an advantage. As a primary news source the web just isn't there yet. Some day. Not today.

Where would I go anyhow?

Inland. Away from the storm.

I wasn't in Houston for Allison, either. I left for vacation the day before and returned a couple of days after. I was in Saint Paul and the deep northwoods of Minnesota, and I was able to keep up with what was going on with the Allison catastrophe. It was on the radio and all over the newspapers and television. My first hint that it was going to be big was when it was the top story on the light-up news ticker that wraps around the Minnesota Public Radio building. I think your reliance on one medium (the web) for information is more of a hinderance than an advantage. As a primary news source the web just isn't there yet. Some day. Not today.

Inland. Away from the storm.

I agree with you. I think that the web is not there yet when it comes to weather reporting. They try, but it takes a back seat.

I am 19/21 miles north of downtown which is 50+ miles north of the coast. Not sure what you mean about inland.

Where would I go anyhow?

Not all storms are created equal and not all merit running for the hills.

But if ya had to...

What was 249 like during the grate Rita Exodus ? How bout the FMs like 1774 and 1486? Was it as bad as 45, 290 and 10 ?

Seem if there was a mass exodus, our recent history shows that its better to flee on the slower less known roads than the interstates.

Guess it would be a game time decision based on how many were fleeing with you

Not in the mood to start raising up the f-ing furniture again. :angry: This time we just sit and let house fall in on us while eating canned food. Lets just start the hurricane party now, no more getting stranded on frwys,etc.

madre fanculo Edoardo...grrrr. :angry2:

Pressure hasn't dropped in the last 3 hours.. thats an indication that it has less potential for intensifying.. correct ??

WTNT35 KNHC 041440

TCPAT5

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM EDOUARD ADVISORY NUMBER 5

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052008

1000 AM CDT MON AUG 04 2008

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING EXTENDED WESTWARD...

AT 10 AM CDT...1500 UTC...THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS EXTENDED

WESTWARD TO PORT OCONNOR TEXAS. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS NOW IN

EFFECT FROM THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER WESTWARD TO PORT

OCONNOR.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEST OF INTRACOASTAL CITY

LOUISIANA TO PORT O'CONNOR TEXAS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE

INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED

BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 1000 AM CDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM EDOUARD WAS

LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 90.6 WEST OR ABOUT 160

MILES...260 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF LAFAYETTE LOUISIANA AND ABOUT

265 MILES...425 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF GALVESTON TEXAS.

EDOUARD IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/HR. A TURN TO

THE WEST-NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED LATER TODAY...WHICH WOULD BRING THE

CENTER OF EDOUARD VERY NEAR THE UPPER TEXAS COAST OR THE COAST OF

SOUTHWESTERN LOUISIANA BY TUESDAY MORNING.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 45 MPH...75 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. SOME INCREASE IN STRENGTH IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24

HOURS...AND EDOUARD COULD BE NEARING HURRICANE STRENGTH BEFORE

REACHING THE COASTLINE.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 35 MILES...55 KM

FROM THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1002 MB...29.59 INCHES.

A STORM SURGE OF 2 TO 4 FT ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED

IN THE WARNING AREA IN AREAS OF ONSHORE WINDS.

EDOUARD IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5

INCHES IN SOME LOUISIANA COASTAL COUNTIES AND SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS.

ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER

SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN LOUISIANA

AND THE UPPER TEXAS COAST LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT.

REPEATING THE 1000 AM CDT POSITION...28.2 N...90.6 W. MOVEMENT

TOWARD...WEST NEAR 8 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...45 MPH.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1002 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE

CENTER AT 100 PM CDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 400

PM CDT.

$$

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

Not in the mood to start raising up the f-ing furniture again. :angry: This time we just sit and let house fall in on us while eating canned food. Lets just start the hurricane party now, no more getting stranded on frwys,etc.

madre fanculo Edoardo...grrrr. :angry2:

I like your style!

Also staying put unless this becomes a "Perfect Storm"...

Im sure most companies are in a discussion/decision mode of when to release employees or whether to stay closed tomorrow. Ours is about to announce.

Most of you on West side of downtown may not feel as threatened as us on South or East Sides/coastal. Even here at 45/Wayside/U of H Central areas the water rose up FAST in places we had never seen in 40 years.

It was just said that we all could be out of power for a few days either way, that alone sickens me. Its the senior family members that is of major concern again.

Im sure most companies are in a discussion/decision mode of when to release employees or whether to stay closed tomorrow. Ours is about to announce.

Most of you on West side of downtown may not feel as threatened as us on South or East Sides/coastal. Even here at 45/Wayside/U of H Central areas the water rose up FAST in places we had never seen in 40 years.

It was just said that we all could be out of power for a few days either way, that alone sickens me. Its the senior family members that is of major concern again.

My sis works for a major oil company and they are about to announce something too. I work for a major college system and we're looking at decisions tomorrow.

The problem is how to err on either side of right or wrong and decisions that literally affect thousands of people.

Most important thing is lower your pool and either put the patio furniture in it or in the garage.

Once the power goes out, you can't run the pumps to get the pool down. They said possible 8 inches of rain, so I lowered 6 and will play it by ear.

Archived