So Long, Bennigan's

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to note my typo in the headline... It's 300 restaurants, not 800. D'oh! :blush:

Just go to your original posts and do a full edit of the topic and subtopic.

I do it all the time, to much people chagrin! (I never thought I'd ever type that word, that's my first time!)

BTW, Applebees, TGI Fridays, Chili's, Ruby Tuesdays, Bennigans, and even Outback in some sense, all the same food.

Update, add Steak and Ale. . . if they even exist anymore.

According to Wikipedia, Bennigan's is considered a "fern bar".

Fern bar is a slang term for an upscale or preppy (yuppie) bar or tavern usually decorated with ferns or other "fussy" plants, as well as such decor as fake Tiffany lamps.

"Fussy" plants, really!?!, I use that word more when a toddler having a tantrum!

You can't make this stuff up people, and if it is on Wikipedia, it's a fact. . .Jack! :lol:

Wow! Was just at the Bennigan's on 1960/45 last Friday night! What?

We could have emptied the kegs now they will go to waste. Rats!

I had a feeling the end was near for them. The one at Gulfgate was shut down finally a few months ago. The clientele had hit the skids and so did the staff. Was a miracle it lasted this long.

RIP

Oh Monte Cristo, I hardly knew yee....

j/k

I have not ate at a Bennegins in 20 years. Obviously I am not the only one.

It's been years since I've been to a Bennigans for good reason: The service sucked.

I avoid Applebees for the same reason. That, and well...the food sucks.

I just never found anything too appealing to go back anymore - used to go to the one on Kirby/59 for trivia/food/drinks occasionally, but yeah, the service and food was mediocre at best.

Company spokeswoman Leah Templeton said franchised locations should not be affected, and it could not be determined immediately which of the Houston-area's 11 Bennigan's and six Steak & Ale locations will remain open.

If any of those Bennigan's had actually answered their phones when I called today and said that, I'd be more inclined to believe that some of them were remaining open. :)

Anyway, I'm more apt to trust the Wall Street Journal than the Chronicle:

National restaurant chains Bennigan's and Steak & Ale have closed their doors and filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, shuttering more than 300 locations and letting go of thousands of employees.

It is one of the country's largest restaurant bankruptcies and eliminates two sit-down chains that have been part of the casual-dining landscape for decades. The chains will liquidate and aren't likely to re-open.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1217347714...p_us_whats_news

AP is reporting the same but you never know.

According to a recorded message on the law firm's answering system, not all stores using the Bennigan's and Steak & Ale trade names have filed for bankruptcy and some franchise locations were not included in the filing.

Company spokeswoman Leah Templeton said franchised locations should not be affected, and it could not be determined immediately which of the Houston-area's 11 Bennigan's and six Steak & Ale locations will remain open.

Probably the ones with decent service and providing edible quality food...you mean to tell me there are there actually 11 of those that meet that criteria? LOL!!!

Probably the ones with decent service and providing edible quality food...you mean to tell me there are there actually 11 of those that meet that criteria? LOL!!!

LOL no i think there are 11 in the houston area is what they meant.

If any of those Bennigan's had actually answered their phones when I called today and said that, I'd be more inclined to believe that some of them were remaining open. :)

Anyway, I'm more apt to trust the Wall Street Journal than the Chronicle:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1217347714...p_us_whats_news

I'm rather suprised this story is even IN the Chronicle. I don't know how they'd work a left-wing slant into such a topic. I am sure if anyone could, they could find a way though! :lol:

We had a lunch bunch that went to Bennigan's once a month. It was okay, never really THAT into the food, but it was cheap. That is one of the things I noticed was that their burgers and fries were like what you'd pay at McDonald's for a burger and fries.

I think they should have seriously considered raising their prices.

Ate once at the Galleria location and had enough Bennigan's for the rest of my life. I wonder if that one is a Franchised location.

Ate once at the Galleria location and had enough Bennigan's for the rest of my life. I wonder if that one is a Franchised location.

there may not be any here. i think i went in 2004 last with someone else who wanted to go and i caved.

Weren't they "one heck of an Irish bar" or something like that? The one at the Park downtown used to have a deal where if you didn't get your meal in a certain number of minutes it was free.

Diversity killed that. In an in International city like Houston that monkier simply sounds outdated.

The one on Kirby/59 was sooooo nice when it was brand new circa 1987ish?

Went there (only out of complete desperation) about a year ago, to slam down and few and never, ever wanted to go back. Better to drink under a bridge with the bums and pass the wine bottle around. :lol:

That one needs the axe...like now.

I believe the location by Reliant Park is franchised. I've only been once (which is the only time I've been to Bennigans in the last 15 years). The staff were nice and courteous but the restaurant itself was starting to show its age, especially in the furniture and decor.

The food was about what you'd expect at those type of places: very average.

The one on Kirby/59 was sooooo nice when it was brand new circa 1987ish?

I actually thought that one have an incredibly nice parking lot. It had pavers and really mature trees.

Not much else about the restaurant though.

We had a lunch bunch that went to Bennigan's once a month. It was okay, never really THAT into the food, but it was cheap. That is one of the things I noticed was that their burgers and fries were like what you'd pay at McDonald's for a burger and fries.

I think they should have seriously considered raising their prices.

The two or three times I've eaten at Bennigan's I had the opposite reaction. It was, "I'm paying $7.00 for this crap?!?"

I would much rather spend $5 at Whataburger or $4 at a taqueria.

The two or three times I've eaten at Bennigan's I had the opposite reaction. It was, "I'm paying $7.00 for this crap?!?"

I would much rather spend $5 at Whataburger or $4 at a taqueria.

They are the typical $10 place, but it was in the same company as the rest of the casual restaurants.

Just sad that we will have all these vacant buildings.

Last thing Houston needed was more of them.

Archived