Olympics 2008

Deut28Thirteen

Okay, tech friends of mine ... I am watching the Olympics on my computer (from the NBC website) and had to install something called Microsoft Silverlight. Why am I watching at my computer? Because I need to write a paper and I have a 19" monitor in my office, so I can kill two birds with one stone. I think it's a live feed, but not really sure (the NBC website is a mess!) ...

:-\

Is this (Silverlight) like Flash or is it something else altogether? It is working in my FireFox 3 browser and the video quality looks pretty good, but just not sure what it does.

Note: The Brazilian soccer team is nice lookin' ;)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find myself very skeptical of all things Chinese Olympics related as well.

I love it. It's no different from gaudy Texans and all of their charades. I mean, they are playing catch-up and have the money to be just as tacky and gaudy as the rest of the world.

Except they're doing it on an unheard of scale. Kinda like the newly minted billionaires in Dubai.

I love it. It's no different from gaudy Texans and all of their charades. I mean, they are playing catch-up and have the money to be just as tacky and gaudy as the rest of the world.

Except they're doing it on an unheard of scale. Kinda like the newly minted billionaires in Dubai.

They injected too much of their culture and history into everything. This is not 'All Chinese Games'. The opening ceremony is there to showcase what you have (they really did good at this), let the visitors find out the more if they want to.

They injected too much of their culture and history into everything. This is not 'All Chinese Games'. The opening ceremony is there to showcase what you have (they really did good at this), let the visitors find out the more if they want to.

It's a peek into the Chinese culture which most Americans (and probably the rest of the world too) are clueless too. Every Olympics country does it when they host the games. We're just on the outside looking in this time.

I am enjoying it. The giant 'calligrapher pad' LED screens with the human 'painters' was awesome, as were the 2,008 drummers that opened. Absolutely incredible.

I think China has set the bar for opening ceremonies ... for a very long time.

Texans are free to be as gaudy as they want.

In China, gaudy is approved and coordinated by the Government.

As far as catch up! Are you serious? In the country women still give birth in pig pens and people lets chickens live in their house. This is a documented fact.

That's why it all rigns false to me.

Texans are free to be as gaudy as they want.

In China, gaudy is approved and coordinated by the Government.

As far as catch up! Are you serious? In the country women still give birth in pig pens and people lets chickens live in their house. This is a documented fact.

That's why it all rigns false to me.

Texans are free but Chinese are not. I doubt they really care what you think of them as they hold your debt anyhow.

Wonder how you'd feel if they called it in.

Here in the US, we have women giving birth in public toilets and ppl living with pigs and rats and lizards in their homes too. Seems they have caught up to us. Also good to know that our rednecks would feel right at home in China.

Seems like someone's pissed the limelight is on China. With all the crap going on here, I think its a good thing the spotlight is away from us for a little while.

I think it's a lot of people's fear that China will rapidly catch up and surpass us. They have hundreds of thousands of American trained engineers, a lock on African natural resources, and 1.3 billion people (and probably a military that rivals or surpasses ours technologically and probably dwarfs us in terms of troops -I am sure someone will be able to give those stats, but I am too lazy right now to look it up).

I understand the fear and even contempt for their government's policies, but I am just talking about the opening ceremonies. And in that regards, I think they HAVE set the bar for years to come.

BTW, I would not judge the Chinese people for their government any more than I would judge the American people for ours.

They might rebroadcast it sometime during the next week. I'm sure youtube has it, but you have to see the ceremony on high definition to appreciate the colors.

Just saw they're gonna replay it at 1:30 am tonight. It was already put up and taken down on youtube.

They boo'd my peeps (Iran). We are talking athletes here, not politicians. Let them play soccer in peace.

I agree. It was the best Olympics ceremony that i have ever seen. From artistic to raw display!! All other Olympic ceremonies pale in comparison.

The parade was so long, and some of the comments from the announcers were so off. Did you notice what they said about the Norwegian lady's outfits. . .(I think it was Norway)?

Sobering figures. Probably worth noting that what brought down the Soviet Union was primarily the weight of its military spending.

it would be interesting to see how acccurate these numbers are. the 888 owners sure have a different opinion of what's happening in china.

it would be interesting to see how acccurate these numbers are. the 888 owners sure have a different opinion of what's happening in china.

Well, the replay comes on in 10 minutes. Watch the 2008 drummers and try to not imagine the Chinese Army. Easily the most forceful (and almost intimidating) part of the show.

And I believe it was intentional.

Well, the replay comes on in 10 minutes. Watch the 2008 drummers and try to not imagine the Chinese Army. Easily the most forceful (and almost intimidating) part of the show.

lol classic.

Conan is still on. Are you guys sure cuz i missed the first 30 minutes of the show.

Conan is still on. Are you guys sure cuz i missed the first 30 minutes of the show.

they are having jim lampley on now....

they are having jim lampley on now....

poor tom brokaw shouldn't be in hd. however beijing is amazing.

Pretty impressive display. No country is going to be willing to spend $300 million on their opening ceremony again, especially one with a democratic government.

Agreed, and this is why:

Yeah, whatever you think of their politics and human rights, this ceremony is Da Bomb!

They want everyone to forget about all the bad things and just focus on the "good".

Watch the 2008 drummers and try to not imagine the Chinese Army. Easily the most forceful (and almost intimidating) part of the show.

Tiananmen Square was intimidating. This is just good choreography. I'll admit that this was easily the most spectacular opening games ever, but had they held these games even just 4 years ago, I doubt the light show would have been half as impressive. Technology was on their side last night.

Archived