Prince's Drive-In Restaurants

robhan

I know that there was onr on South Main that was the last to close. I have seena few of the signs in various places across town. Or should I say just the sign and no building left.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found '76 listings at:

-5240 Bellaire (bank)

-1951 Cullen (the one Gonzo mentioned)

-6215 Harrisburg (strip mall)

-9409 Jensen

-4950 Lehigh

-8101 S Main (Taco Cabana - the one Rob mentioned)

-815 Pierce

-1500 N Shepherd (car lot - the on rps mentioned)

-2316 S Shepherd (old Red Lion)

-1610 San Jacinto

-702 Travis

I would suspect the one on Travis was in the tunnel system.

I found '76 listings at:

-5240 Bellaire (bank)

-1951 Cullen (the one Gonzo mentioned)

-6215 Harrisburg (strip mall)

-9409 Jensen

-4950 Lehigh

-8101 S Main (Taco Cabana - the one Rob mentioned)

-815 Pierce

-1500 N Shepherd (car lot - the on rps mentioned)

-2316 S Shepherd (old Red Lion)

-1610 San Jacinto

-702 Travis

The one behind Sears on Main was either on or next to Ruth street. I recall seeing the name as we exited from eating our burgers. Yummmmmm. :D

You can still see a tiny piece of Ruth street there. Never will forget the classic car club meets they used to have there on Friday or Saturday nights? I often wondered where those awesome bunch of people went to? -_-

1955 Locations...

8101 S. Main St.

4509 S. Main St.

2101 S. Main St.

3523 N. Main St.

2101 Wayside

3600 Washington Ave.

6215 Harrisburg Blvd.

9409 Humble Rd.

Gulf Freeway and Cullen Blvd.

OK HELP!!! What was the Drive In on the SW corner of Cullen and I-45 directly South of the FWY from Fingers and Buff Stadium and entrance to UH ? For the life of me I can't remember its name.

OK HELP!!! What was the Drive In on the SW corner of Cullen and I-45 directly South of the FWY from Fingers and Buff Stadium and entrance to UH ? For the life of me I can't remember its name.

It may have been a MacDonalds.

Long before our present day McDonalds fastfood came along, there was a string of car-hop drive-ins in Houston named MacDonalds.

They looked and operated just like Prince's. They were all over town, but my favorite was the one on Main Street across the street from 2016 Main. Almost directly under the Pierce Elevated.

The one at 4509 S. Main was the last one in operation but isn't shown on the 1976 list above. I had an aunt who was one of the roller-skating carhops in the 30s (?) and I believe she told me once she worked at that one.

Neither list shows the one at Montrose and Westheimer (not sure which street would have been the address) but I'm sure it was in operation ca. 1968-71; not sure when it closed but later than '76 I think?

That was Prince's. I still have one of the plastic menus from the order window. When they tore it down around 1987? I immediately pulled in and grabbed what I could since it was all in shambles and was headed for the city dump. I really wanted the giant metal hamburger over the door entry but it was already gone. -_-

PS, anyone that loves the Drive In legend should buy this book:

51S1X6K4B3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Vertigo

Unless my memory is shot, I thought the Prince's was on the corner where the Catholic Charismatic Center is today, just east of Finger's. There was another drive in on the other side of the freeway on Cullen as an entrance to UH. That's the one I'm lookin for.

Vertigo

Unless my memory is shot, I thought the Prince's was on the corner where the Catholic Charismatic Center is today, just east of Finger's. There was another drive in on the other side of the freeway on Cullen as an entrance to UH. That's the one I'm lookin for.

Nope. It has always been smack on that sharp corner.

I cannot recall what was on the now Charasmatic spot but it definetly was not Prince's. If you go there today you can still (sadly) see the stubs where the order menus stood. When cars pulled in they would face North towards the (now) Charasmatic CTR. The restaurant itself was facing South directly at Gulf Frwy and U of H. You always had a great view of it as you passed over on 45 especially when the striped canopes on the poles were rolled. Remember they would roll them up in high winds?

FYI: The Orange Tommy's were those little bottles of spirits that would give you a light buzz. I can still picture the carhops bringing grown up's an ice cold beer wrapped in that transparent tissue paper. :blush:

PS, anyone that loves the Drive In legend should buy this book:

51S1X6K4B3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Agreed. The author, Jim Heimann, has written extensively on a variety of topics that would be of interest to HAIFers. I have many of the books he's authored and recommend them unreservedly, particularly the All-American Ads series, California Crazy (roadside vernacular architecture), Out With The Stars (golden-age Hollywood nightlife), and May I Take Your Order? (American menu design).

Jim Heimann books at Amazon

Agreed. The author, Jim Heimann, has written extensively on a variety of topics that would be of interest to HAIFers. I have many of the books he's authored and recommend them unreservedly, particularly the All-American Ads series, California Crazy (roadside vernacular architecture), Out With The Stars (golden-age Hollywood nightlife), and May I Take Your Order? (American menu design).

Jim Heimann books at Amazon

Sounds fantastic!

Funny how the mind works and starts to bring back fond memories of Prince's Drive In's. We often talk about the food, etc but what really was good was the valued time you had to share with family and pal's as you sat in the car waiting for your order. We often laughed, gossiped, whatever with everyone while we watched the carhops prepare the tray with the food and drink. They prepared with the utmost care while writing out the tickets and grabbing the big NUMBER cards they placed under your windshield.

While you waited for the meal you could get out and go place coins in the juke box and take your time picking out a good 45 to play while all the other cars were watching others play around playing fav songs. The crowds that pulled up were always interesting. You would see car loads of teens, couples, family with children, some people dressed to-the-nines after coming from a dance. I just hated when cars would honk for the carhop to hurry up and we hated when some smart alec's would get into brawls. Some teens would drive off without paying as a prank, not too funny for the carhop.

Now I am thinking about a Fried Fish Basket and strawberry malt. :P

PS, it's the artwork on the little billboards on the property that I miss the most. These were advertisments of the Shrimp Basket's, Hamburger's, etc. When illuminated at night they were dazzling!

I have a list from the 50s and another from the 60s that I can add (if I can remember). :D

Also have an early menu to post....

Yep, I would have to scan the approx 1 ft x 2ft plastic menu I have too.

We kids often wondered how the carhops could quickly (and swiftly) prop up the food tray so easily and trust that it could hold all of the yummies on top? And most older cars had such large dashboard you could fit the whole meal on it too.

pp28126.jpg

1964 Prince's Drive-In Locations:

Stand No. 5: 1951 Cullen

Stand No. 7: 1500 N Shepherd

Stand No. 8: 9409 Humble Rd

Stand No. 9: 5240 Bellaire Blvd

Stand No. 10: 4509 Main

Stand No. 15: 6215 Hsbg

Stand No. 25: 3600 Washington

Stand No. 30: 8101 Main

Stand No. 36: 2101 Wayside

1966 Prince's Drive-In Locations:

Same as 1964 except for the addition of Stand No. 26, 1303 Fed Rd.

1957 Prince's Drive-In locations:

Stand No. 5: 2112 Cullen

Stand No. 7: 1500 N Shepherd

Stand No. 8: 9407 Humble Rd

Stand No. 10: 4509 Main

Stand No. 15: 6215 Hsbg

Stand No. 20: 2101 Main

Stand No. 25: 3600 Washington

Stand No. 30: 8101 Main

Stand No. 35: 3523 N Main

Stand No. 36: 2101 Wayside

Sounds fantastic!

Funny how the mind works and starts to bring back fond memories of Prince's Drive In's. We often talk about the food, etc but what really was good was the valued time you had to share with family and pal's as you sat in the car waiting for your order. We often laughed, gossiped, whatever with everyone while we watched the carhops prepare the tray with the food and drink. They prepared with the utmost care while writing out the tickets and grabbing the big NUMBER cards they placed under your windshield.

While you waited for the meal you could get out and go place coins in the juke box and take your time picking out a good 45 to play while all the other cars were watching others play around playing fav songs. The crowds that pulled up were always interesting. You would see car loads of teens, couples, family with children, some people dressed to-the-nines after coming from a dance. I just hated when cars would honk for the carhop to hurry up and we hated when some smart alec's would get into brawls. Some teens would drive off without paying as a prank, not too funny for the carhop.

Now I am thinking about a Fried Fish Basket and strawberry malt. :P

PS, it's the artwork on the little billboards on the property that I miss the most. These were advertisments of the Shrimp Basket's, Hamburger's, etc. When illuminated at night they were dazzling!

Now you've got me craving the shrimp basket with the fries and Texas toast and of course the strawberry malt! We always went to the one on Wayside just blocks from my house. I believe the building is still there but its not an eating place anymore. After it was Princes it was renamed Stephens but still had the same menu. My brother and I ate under the striped canopy for the last time in 1997. Even though the name had changed it was still like being at our childhood Princes.

1955 Locations...

8101 S. Main St.

4509 S. Main St.

2101 S. Main St.

3523 N. Main St.

2101 Wayside

3600 Washington Ave.

6215 Harrisburg Blvd.

9409 Humble Rd.

Gulf Freeway and Cullen Blvd.

The Harrisburg Prince's (vaguely recall seeing) was right next to the RR tracks and I think it became an Icehouse later or was next door to an Icehouse? That spot today has become a nice new shopping center.

The one that was in downtown is still there but is a cajun restaurant now? The Prince's sign is still on top and is kind of 1950's googie style but has been painted over with the new cajun place name. I think it is right behind the new Sacred Heart Co cathedral? Only went to that Princes on rare ocassions. We practically lived at the Cullen/Gulf Frwy local. :blush:

Here...I will treat everyone to a good old fashioned Prince's Shrimp Basket!

005829.jpg

The Harrisburg Prince's (vaguely recall seeing) was right next to the RR tracks and I think it became an Icehouse later or was next door to an Icehouse? That spot today has become a nice new shopping center. The one that was in downtown is still there but is a cajun restaurant now? The Prince's sign is still on top and is kind of 1950's googie style but has been painted over with the new cajun place name. I think it is right behind the new Sacred Heart Co cathedral? Only went to that Princes on rare ocassions. We practically lived at the Cullen/Gulf Frwy local.

Hey Vertigo. I grew up on Houston's east side and I'm embarrassed to say I can't visualize a Prince's on the north side of the Gulf Fwy at Cullen.

I can't even spot it on an aerial photo of that intersection on the Houston Freeways website. Here's a link to that site. Can you spot the Prince's on the northbound feeder road?

The only thing I see that resembles an old drive-in cafe is on the other side of the Fwy, the southbound side, on the southwest corner of Cullen and the feeder road. I see what looks like the old covered parking spaces lined up on three sides of a small building.

http://www.oscarmail.net/houstonfreeways/e...eeway_72ppi.pdf

The Harrisburg Prince's (vaguely recall seeing) was right next to the RR tracks and I think it became an Icehouse later or was next door to an Icehouse? That spot today has become a nice new shopping center.

The one that was in downtown is still there but is a cajun restaurant now? The Prince's sign is still on top and is kind of 1950's googie style but has been painted over with the new cajun place name. I think it is right behind the new Sacred Heart Co cathedral? Only went to that Princes on rare ocassions. We practically lived at the Cullen/Gulf Frwy local. :blush:

Here...I will treat everyone to a good old fashioned Prince's Shrimp Basket!

005829.jpg

2 hours til luchtime. Vertigo, You are evil!

Hey Vertigo. I grew up on Houston's east side and I'm embarrassed to say I can't visualize a Prince's on the north side of the Gulf Fwy at Cullen.

I can't even spot it on an aerial photo of that intersection on the Houston Freeways website. Here's a link to that site. Can you spot the Prince's on the northbound feeder road?

The only thing I see that resembles an old drive-in cafe is on the other side of the Fwy, the southbound side, on the southwest corner of Cullen and the feeder road. I see what looks like the old covered parking spaces lined up on three sides of a small building.

http://www.oscarmail.net/houstonfreeways/e...eeway_72ppi.pdf

If you go to windows live local you can do a birdseye view of the corner of gulf frwy and Cullen and see the foundation of the old princes right on the corner across from Fingers furniture.

If you go to windows live local you can do a birdseye view of the corner of gulf frwy and Cullen and see the foundation of the old princes right on the corner across from Fingers furniture.

Yep! The stubs of the Prince's sign are presently there now and are about 5 inches off the ground plus several of the concrete little menu islands. (This is funny, like trying to find a lost Pyramid or excavation of somekind). :D

I will describe the view looking straight into the front door. The cooking area was smack in the middle and the lady who took your order "inside" would walk up to that swinging 1/2 door write your order from the menu above your head. The eating area was to the right as you entered. The juke box was on the right wall next to the restrooms. When you sat inside you could see all of the cars and Gulf Frwy feeder to the south. Let's see...there were always pigeons munching on left over onion rings on the ground. :blush:

PS, if you drove in from Cullen you could park facing East right next to the tall Princes sign which by the way you would always see as you passed above on the Gulf Frwy. The same lady that worked the window presently works at Mandola's Deli down the street near Kroger. My mom knew her and she lived on the corner of Ernestine and Leeland across from the present Cage Elementary. She was really cool had a red/orange beehive hairdo compete with those 60's cat eye glass frames. Even sounded and chewed gum like Flo on "Alice". Ja!

I also loved that one of a kind tartar sauce they were famous for! Yum, yum!

Archived