First white Valedictorian from Morehouse

gwilson

Morehouse U, a predominantly black university with the stated mission of producing well educated black men who are capable of being leaders is turning out its first white valedictorian.

The article ( here ) has some rather offensive, though thinly veiled, remarks in it from students and faculty. For example, one student saying that he didn't like the fact that this kid was white and wished he had gone somewhere else. Even worse was this comment from the Dean of Admissions "When he marches across the stage on May 18 and receives his diploma, he's going to be a Morehouse Man in every way -- except ethnicity." Really?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morehouse U, a predominantly black university with the stated mission of producing well educated black men who are capable of being leaders is turning out its first white valedictorian.

The article ( here ) has some rather offensive, though thinly veiled, remarks in it from students and faculty. For example, one student saying that he didn't like the fact that this kid was white and wished he had gone somewhere else. Even worse was this comment from the Dean of Admissions "When he marches across the stage on May 18 and receives his diploma, he's going to be a Morehouse Man in every way -- except ethnicity." Really?

I couldn't believe the quote from the student about how "he didn't like him being there, and didn't like him dating black women"....what is that kid thinking??? I was expecting a feel good piece about the triumph of character and friendship over racial differences, but most of that article made me kind of ill....

Don't start blowing things out of perspective.

Still, the majority of students told CNN that he earned his accolades and they stand behind him.
"One guy came up to me and told me -- he didn't like the fact that I was here," recalls Packwood. "He absolutely didn't like the fact that I dated black women."

"So I heard him out, and said, 'I appreciate your opinion but don't agree with what you have to say,'...and now we've become, not necessarily close, but very cool," Packwood says.

yeah, I am sure they hang out all the time and go on double dates!!!

That was one man's opinion. It doesn't say if his opinion changed, but obviously he wasn't totally against him.

He went to an all black college. He had friends there. He did hang out with blacks all the time and probably went on some double dates. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just because of one or two quotes that represent individuals.

I'm not saying you are, but the rest of the article didn't upset me. The bad side didn't surprise me. Overall, it seemed like they received him well.

That was one man's opinion. It doesn't say if his opinion changed, but obviously he wasn't totally against him.

He went to an all black college. He had friends there. He did hang out with blacks all the time and probably went on some double dates. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just because of one or two quotes that represent individuals.

I'm not saying you are, but the rest of the article didn't upset me. The bad side didn't surprise me. Overall, it seemed like they received him well.

Maybe it was the article that made it seem like there was more conflict than there actually was just to stir it up, but it seemed to me like there was an undercurrent of racial tension during his stay there...which doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it was all rainbows and sunshine and the person who wrote the article had to go out of his/her way to find someone upset about his presence there, but I didn't get that impression.

Edit:: just remembered the part about how he earned the right to be validictorian, but that they didn't like it and it means they need to work harder, just a whole us v them mentality that I find distasteful.

Double Edit because I can't type...

...it seemed to me like there was an undercurrent of racial tension during his stay there...which doesn't sit well with me.

You mean, kinda like this post....and this entire thread? I don't suppose it has occurred to anyone (except for lockmat) that the whole point of stereotyping is that ascribing the views of one or two people to the entire group is misleading and wrong. The comments on this thread condemning all Morehouse students for the views of a couple is more than just a little bit of "pot calling the kettle black". (pun intended)

I didn't see ANYTHING in the article that would upset me. Do you white people really get offended by a racist remarks aimed toward you?

I didn't see where they were calling it a great accomplishment for white people either. I also EXPECTED some students to be less than thrilled that a whiteman was going to be head of the class and get to have his say so in front of the whole graduating class. That should be interesting at the actual commencement. There has to be a firstime for everything, I am sure it will be quite sometime before this will happen again. It will all be forgotten in a couple of weeks.

Color of skin should NEVER matter. I hate anything racist... whether it's white on black, black on white, brown on black... anything. If we don't treat others differently based on the color of their hair then we would we do it based on skin color... what's the difference?? One other thing I can't stand are those who make themselves out to be fighters of racism when they themselves are racist b/c they only care about their own race... I'm looking at you Jesse Jackson and Quanell X! <_<

I didn't see ANYTHING in the article that would upset me. Do you white people really get offended by a racist remarks aimed toward you?

I didn't see where they were calling it a great accomplishment for white people either. I also EXPECTED some students to be less than thrilled that a whiteman was going to be head of the class and get to have his say so in front of the whole graduating class. That should be interesting at the actual commencement. There has to be a firstime for everything, I am sure it will be quite sometime before this will happen again. It will all be forgotten in a couple of weeks.

Wow, I really expected more from you.

I would ask you to take the article, and reverse all roles. A Black student is the valedictorian at a white college, the faculty and student comments were made by white people. Tell me, if that had been the case, this article wouldn't have been met with a Million-Al-March.

There was so much latent hostility toward him in the comments from the students and the faculty. "a Morehouse man in every way--except ethnicity". That is disgusting. The comments by the other students saying that they didn't want him there and that they would have to work harder now were disgusting.

And why shouldn't white people get pissy if a racist comment is spit at them? If a joke is made about blacks by a white man, Al Sharpton raises an army. I really do not understand this double standard. I could give to squirts about a racist comment made to me. If someone doesn't like me, that is their business. If they don't like me because of my skin color, I have no desire to even know them.

This article though, SHOULD have been about how the class of 2008 proved that skin color means nothing and that society has progressed so much that it is about the content of a man's character and not the color of his skin. Instead, it showed the exact opposite. Dr. King would have been appauled.

You mean, kinda like this post....and this entire thread? I don't suppose it has occurred to anyone (except for lockmat) that the whole point of stereotyping is that ascribing the views of one or two people to the entire group is misleading and wrong. The comments on this thread condemning all Morehouse students for the views of a couple is more than just a little bit of "pot calling the kettle black". (pun intended)

I would contend that stereotypes, as a whole, exist for a reason. It doesn't mean that ALL members of a group are accurately portrayed by the stereotype, but certainly a large percentage. It is politically incorrect to think this, but political correctness is for those who choose to stick their head in the sand.

I prefer to be realistic, and I can do so without being racist, sexist, or any other type of *******.

I prefer to be realistic, and I can do so without being racist, sexist, or any other type of *******.

Lucky you!

How did you attain this exemption? The rest of us grew up in America.

I would ask you to take the article, and reverse all roles. A Black student is the valedictorian at a white college, the faculty and student comments were made by white people. Tell me, if that had been the case, this article wouldn't have been met with a Million-Al-March.

Aren't you usually opposed to that sort of reaction?

And why shouldn't white people get pissy if a racist comment is spit at them?

Pick one of these:

1. Because getting pissy probably won't help?
  2. Because white people weren't enslaved by black people in this country for 400 years?

If a joke is made about blacks by a white man, Al Sharpton raises an army. I really do not understand this double standard.

It isn't a double standard. That's just the way Al Sharpton behaves.

I would contend that stereotypes, as a whole, exist for a reason. It doesn't mean that ALL members of a group are accurately portrayed by the stereotype, but certainly a large percentage. It is politically incorrect to think this, but political correctness is for those who choose to stick their head in the sand.

We agree that stereotypes exist for a reason, but often it's just a mental shortcut. It's quicker (and often more evolutionarily advantageous) for human brains to create stereotypes than it is to learn the details about individual situations, objects or people. Sometimes they are reasonably accurate prediction tools, but sometimes not, and there's no easy test for determining that.

Well, good for you!

Wow, I really expected more from you.

Sorry to disappoint you wilson, hope you got the PM. I think this Valedictorian has a political agenda hidden, and being the top dog of an all black college when you are running for office might guarantee him a few votes from the Democrat side.

Were you or any black citizens alive today enslaved?

C'mon stresident, you can't throw that out there, it destroys the whole argument. Some of the black student body have to be the victims or the story has no merit ! You should know better. ;)

I've been discussing this with several black friends and they (and me) don't see what the big fuss is about.

I graduated from a HBCU and we had a students body comprised of all races and ethnicities. It wouldn't have surprised me if the valedictorian or anyone else was not black.

Were you or any black citizens alive today enslaved?

I wasn't. It's possible that some black citizens were, but they probably weren't enslaved in this country. Why do you ask? Did I miss the official erasure of our history of racial injustice?

The thing that gets me is that if the student was black and the student body was white, Al Sharpton and his ilk would be standing with torches outside the gates within hours.

To be perfectly frank, I think the very people whom MLK was trying to lift up is spitting on his "Dream" speech. We might as well strike that speech from all form of texts since it is doubtful it will be followed.

If you don't know what passage I'm referring to, then I have proven my point and shame on you.

I wasn't. It's possible that some black citizens were, but they probably weren't enslaved in this country. Why do you ask? Did I miss the official erasure of our history of racial injustice?

Who exactly is the victim here and what is the injustice?

Personally, I am wondering what took so long. HBCUs are great bargains in education for everyone. Have you ever been to a Texas Southern University graduation? It's a rainbow of people (awesome!) who found that a great educations (regardless of administration issues) can be found outside of traditional universities.

My reply when I hear "the valedictorian was --insert whatever here--" is What took so long?

You know, when I read the article, these are the parts that jumped out at me...

Packwood fit in immediately at Morehouse. His charm, movie-star good looks and chiseled physique made him popular among students. He was elected dorm president and to class council during freshmen year - and was a favorite at campus fashion shows.
"Mr. Packwood is deserving. He has earned this," says Dr. Robert Franklin, the president of Morehouse. "We are committed to merit, to hard work - no matter who it might be."
For the most part, Packwood says the experience among his Morehouse brethren has been overwhelmingly good

But, some chose to see this...

- with the exception of a few negative comments.

I wonder which parts Mr. Packwood sees first.

Please show me where I condemned the student body at Morehouse? Please tell me where I stereotyped anyone? Please don't tell me that being offended by someone's racist comments makes me racist. I never said that all students at Morehouse were offended by his presence, but the article makes it clear that some were, which offends me.

Sure the article mentioned some general platitudes about how accepted he was...some dorm position and he walked in fashion shows (wow!!), then they list very specific quotes and instances where he was disdained because of his race. Also, if anyone can point out the "Remember the Titans" moment in the article where someone talks about how race doesn't matter and it is all about character....the last quote is "except ethnicity". Hey maybe I focused on the wrong things, but they are there. I can see that you are trying to find the good in the article, and that's fine too.

Edit::poor typing skills...

I wonder which parts Mr. Packwood sees first.

s23605530_1976.jpg

I saw this first on his facebook profile. . . .woof! (that's means a good thing btw) :wub:

What are we talking about here . . . I was distracted. :P

Please show me where I condemned the student body at Morehouse? Please tell me where I stereotyped anyone? Please don't tell me that being offended by someone's racist comments makes me racist. I never said that all students at Morehouse were offended by his presence, but the article makes it clear that some were, which offends me.

Sure the article mentioned some general platitudes about how accepted he was...some dorm position and he walked in fashion shows (wow!!), then they list very specific quotes and instances where he was disdained because of his race. Also, if anyone can point out the "Remember the Titans" moment in the article where someone talks about how race doesn't matter and it is all about character....the last quote is "except ethnicity". Hey maybe I focused on the wrong things, but they are there. I can see that you are trying to find the good in the article, and that's fine too.

Edit::poor typing skills...

You are certainly entitled to be offended, as were the Morehouse students. This is, after all, a free country. I, on the other hand, am entitled to find your offense taken to be eerily similar to the offense taken by those students who were offended by Mr. Packwood's presence at Morehouse. Said eery similarity prompted my use of the phrase, "pot calling the kettle black", to describe your offense taken.

I apologize if my previous post did not make my point clear.

You are certainly entitled to be offended, as were the Morehouse students. This is, after all, a free country. I, on the other hand, am entitled to find your offense taken to be eerily similar to the offense taken by those students who were offended by Mr. Packwood's presence at Morehouse. Said eery similarity prompted my use of the phrase, "pot calling the kettle black", to describe your offense taken.

I apologize if my previous post did not make my point clear.

Yeah, you are right, I can see how me being offended that people didn't want someone with my color of skin at their institution of higher learning or to date their women makes me a racist. And I can see how my being offended by their open discussion of said disdain for people of another race and their achievments is really just "the pot calling the kettle black" :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I know you regulars like to get the last word in, but clinging to a defense of you calling me, someone you have never met and probably read very few of my posts (as most are made in the great NW section), a closet racist is just sad, even for an internet forum.

Archived