Houston Beer

Now that I have your attention...

Mrs. Porchman is planning a whoop for her firm this summer. She wants to know what a "crowd-pleasing" beer would be. Price would be part of the issue.

I stock Dos Equis for our parties, because I have found that it's the one beer that seems to please everybody, and I don't like stocking a bunch Bud, Coors, Leiny's, funky euro-beers, etc. that we're not going to drink. I know it's pricier, but it comes down to a management issue

Your thoughts/recommendations? Mrs. P. thanks you!

• Like 1

In fact, the optimal crowd-pleasing strategy may be to leverage the strong Shiner brand by providing a wide assortment of Shiner brews, allowing people to perform a kind of taste test while wallowing in state pride.

Same can be said for St Arnolds... except you get the added benefit of wallowing in state and civic pride....

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the "King of Beers" ! You can wallow in state and civic pride also, as it is made here in Houston. I recommend Budweiser Select, BUT, get some Shiner Bock and that Dos XX green, make sure to provide limes with it, just to mix it up a bit.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions. In my haste to run off to a meeting tonight, I failed to mention one other factor: The firm and the whoop are in DC. Saint Arnold's is probably out. However, I discover Shiner has distribution out of Southern MD, and is apparently widely available in our nations capital.

My query also turned up this amusing blog which includes a rant about a vegan joint that serves Shiner on tap. The Lewis-Black-meets-Marvin-the-Martian rant on "Why I hate DC" also has some other amusing comments.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the "King of Beers" ! You can wallow in state and civic pride also, as it is made here in Houston. I recommend Budweiser Select, BUT, get some Shiner Bock and that Dos XX green, make sure to provide limes with it, just to mix it up a bit.

T, I'm with you. Bud Select for the lite beer drinkers. 2X lager for the people who put limes in everything and Shiner Bock for the rest.

I'm not a fan of most St. Arnold's flavors. (Summer Pils the exception, but not a great pils, per se--not dry enough) Like many American made ales, most St Arnold's are, for me, too sweet and have too much going on. For a refreshing darker beer that's not too sweet, I really like Bohemia.

• Like 1

yeah i tend to think of St Arnold's as fall beers - too much complexity to be simply thirst-quenching. The Lawnmower is probably their best summer beer but there are less expensive options. Tecate, Carta Blanca, Modelo....all with an abundance of limes handy of course.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Downtown Spec's SOLD OUT all 70 cases they got of it in 22 minutes of opening this morning. Still can be found at some Kroger's, HEB, etc. if you are lucky.

On tap: Mucky Duck, Taps House of Beers, GingerMan, Stag's Head, Cedar Creek, DarkHorse, Richmond Arms, Rudyard's, Valhalla, Under the Volcano, Onion Creek

Most have it today, Flying Saucer is tapping it on Sunday afternoon.

Edited by kylejack

Taps will not be tapping til Tuesday. Each bar only got one keg and no more will be produced. I struck out at Kroger's on West Gray and Kroger's on Montrose, but I hear other Kroger's still have sixers.

I'm currently sitting at Little Big's (burger place on Montrose near Westheimer) drinking a DR8 bottle ($3.75...cheap!) and its delicious (toffee, chocolate, raisin flavors) and surprisingly drinkable for an ABV of 9.3%. Rumor has it that Rudyard's, Onion Creek, and The Drinkery tapped it tonight. I'm about to pedal over to Rudyard's.<br><br><br><br>Edit: confirmed on tap at Rudyard's, $7.50. Mmmmmm<br>

Edited by kylejack

Scored a 6 pack today but only because my wife works at a Whole Foods. They only got like 5 cases for their whole store. The problem is they are distributing to Austin and San Antonio so there's not a lot to go around.

Yeah, Dallas too. Follow @SaintArnold on Twitter for updates on where it can be found.

This is the first I've heard of this, and I've got to have it! I've just had a kid, so hitting up a bar is a little bit unlikely. Anyone aware of where it might still be available in a six-pack?

Very very unlikely. It sold out at downtown Spec's in 22 minutes of opening, and all Krogers and HEB seem to now be wiped out. It is rumored to be sold by the bottle at Star Pizza on Harvard, and Little Big's still has it in bottle...I think.

Taps House of Beers on Washington will be tapping it on Tuesday. Flying Saucer's tap ran out as well as Drinkery and Rudyard's. I had three at the Saucer yesterday, and hooboy, at 9.3% alcohol it was a wallop. A delicious wallop. Khon's in Midtown is selling bottles.

Wonder when we are going to see ebay listings for these? If your allowed to sell beer on ebay.

Word to Saint Arnolds: You are a Houston Brewery. How about next year you keep the Divine  in Houston. Screw Dallas and the other cities. It's not like your going to have any trouble selling it all here. 

Edited by LunaticFringe

Very very unlikely. It sold out at downtown Spec's in 22 minutes of opening, and all Krogers and HEB seem to now be wiped out. It is rumored to be sold by the bottle at Star Pizza on Harvard, and Little Big's still has it in bottle...I think.

Taps House of Beers on Washington will be tapping it on Tuesday. Flying Saucer's tap ran out as well as Drinkery and Rudyard's. I had three at the Saucer yesterday, and hooboy, at 9.3% alcohol it was a wallop. A delicious wallop. Khon's in Midtown is selling bottles.

I'm guessing due to Texas' quirky distribution laws we can't just go to the brewery and pick up a sixer either. Crap. Hopefully I'll be more attentive next year.

I'm guessing due to Texas' quirky distribution laws we can't just go to the brewery and pick up a sixer either. Crap. Hopefully I'll be more attentive next year.

Yeah, St. Arnold's was encouraging fans via their mailing list to contact their state reps last legislative session because there was a bill in state Congress to end the law banning breweries from selling, but there wasn't enough support to get it passed last session. Maybe next session.

Edited by kylejack

Yeah, St. Arnold's was encouraging fans via their mailing list to contact their state reps last legislative session because there was a bill in state Congress to end the law banning breweries from selling, but there wasn't enough support to get it passed last session. Maybe next session.

Not at Central Market either. I went by there on the way home from the office, and they sold out in two hours. I spoke with their beer guy, Casey I believe, and he told me he'd had some but wasn't terribly impressed. He has a buddy that buys it annually and bottle ages it for a year which supposedly does the trick to bring all the flavors out. Divine Reserve is apparently a longterm drinking investment.

I didn't leave empty handed though. I got some insanely hoppy IPAs which are leaving a big smile on my face right now.

Email Kinky. Maybe he'll put it on his platform.:lol:

I'd vote for that.

• Like 1