The East Side Wants A New Name

I agree "Uptown" was annoying enough, but this is dumber in that they are taking an arbitrary triangle of land and trying to conjure a neighborhood out of thin air, and then trying to pass it off as somewhere "hip". I don't see that area as a district or neighborhood in any meaningful sense.

We should stop any reference to "TED" since that is exactly the kind of grating, cutesy name they are no doubt looking for and is embarrassingly derivative of Tribeca.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and it's all just wishful thinking. I drive around that area regularly, and yesterday cruised down St Emmanuel to Harrisburg looking ...imagine my shock and surprise. I didn't see a single hipster!

It just offends me so much that people feel a need to copy Denver, or whomever. So slavishly buying into everything the overpaid development marketing consultant says. It's contrived, offensively uncreative and unnatural and smacks of snake oil hucksterism. I said as much in an email, in lieu of suggesting a name.

I'm all for Bermuda Triangle, maybe anything that crosses the line disappears!

In all seriousness, I would do as Sevfiv notes to just send your comments to that email address.

Better be nice or they will send to file 13 or rather their own Bermuda Triangle file. Ja ja :lol:

but it does resemble a bikini bottom folks or thong maybe?

It is rather pathetic that they're renaming that small section for the sake of making it "marketable".

They tried to do the same thing a number of years ago with "Hell's Kitchen" and tried calling it "Clinton" and "Midtown West", and "Mid-West" but the original name stuck.

If this takes root, maybe we should call the rest of the east side "Olde Towne Harrisburg "

The morons.

and it's all just wishful thinking. I drive around that area regularly, and yesterday cruised down St Emmanuel to Harrisburg looking ...imagine my shock and surprise. I didn't see a single hipster!

It just offends me so much that people feel a need to copy Denver, or whomever. So slavishly buying into everything the overpaid development marketing consultant says. It's contrived, offensively uncreative and unnatural and smacks of snake oil hucksterism. I said as much in an email, in lieu of suggesting a name.

I was at Lucky's Pub yesterday on St. Emmanuel and Rusk watching a bit of basketball. I saw plenty of cool people in there though I am not sure if they would be defined as "hipsters". It was a nice, diverse group of people. This part of town is getting ready to "blow up" regardless of what they call it. There are just so many people moving into the warehouse district that it's inevitable. The near east end demographics are rapidly changing also. And then with the Houston Dymano stadium getting built in "Old Town/East Town, this area is going to be virtually unrecognizable in 5 years of so (in a good way). As I said in an earlier post, I am excited that a marketing group is taking the time to name the area. It shows me that somebody is getting ready to invest big bucks in the area. And as long as much needed retail follows, I am all for it.

Just my opinion...

Or how about just "Old Town" ? That is definitely a hip name for neighborhoods, and will make it seem cool without being a total lie.

Well, because that WAS the city of Harrisburg (more or less in the same general area) before the city annexed it in 1926. In fact, I think The area of discussion was a town at one point, but I can't remember what it may have been. IF they change it to THAT name, I might not be as opposed to it because it would bring some of Houston's Heritage to modern times.

I was at Lucky's Pub yesterday on St. Emmanuel and Rusk watching a bit of basketball. I saw plenty of cool people in there though I am not sure if they would be defined as "hipsters". It was a nice, diverse group of people. This part of town is getting ready to "blow up" regardless of what they call it. There are just so many people moving into the warehouse district that it's inevitable. The near east end demographics are rapidly changing also. And then with the Houston Dymano stadium getting built in "Old Town/East Town, this area is going to be virtually unrecognizable in 5 years of so (in a good way). As I said in an earlier post, I am excited that a marketing group is taking the time to name the area. It shows me that somebody is getting ready to invest big bucks in the area. And as long as much needed retail follows, I am all for it.

Just my opinion...

I'm all for growth in the area. I am one of those people changing the demographics in the East End and certainly don't disagree with you.

Just don't give it a stupid ass name. It doesn't need some contrived name. It already has a name.

The only reasonably authentic name for the area I that I can think of is Old Chinatown.

If it is that important to come up with a new name, then why not simply hire one of the developers who do it all the time? Something like "The Oakes at Somerset Place" might be nice, or maybe "The Reserve at Olde Towne".

The whole idea that they can name their way to hipness just strikes me as silly. It would be like changing your legal name to Cool Dude. It would only make you seem shallow and idiotic, not cool. The Montrose seems to have done fine with a somewhat frumpy name.

The only reasonably authentic name for the area I that I can think of is Old Chinatown.

If it is that important to come up with a new name, then why not simply hire one of the developers who do it all the time? Something like "The Oakes at Somerset Place" might be nice, or maybe "The Reserve at Olde Towne".

The whole idea that they can name their way to hipness just strikes me as silly. It would be like changing your legal name to Cool Dude. It would only make you seem shallow and idiotic, not cool. The Montrose seems to have done fine with a somewhat frumpy name.

I think Montrose is a cool name. I'm not a Sammy Hagar fan but he was in a band called Montrose back in the day. As far as names go for East End I have no idea. I like East Town but I don't think that wil be considered "sexy" enough.

Trendy: Three Points District

Yesteryear: Wuthering Heights

Future: Thunderdome

Scary: Amityville

Fantasy: Oz

Poetic: Green Gables

Western: High Chapparal

Mythological: Land of the Golden Fleece

Etc, etc, etc.... :D

Downtown East End Zone... DEEZ for short.

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad. The Downtown East End Zone that is.

The DT must be in there somewhere.

Boy this name swap is going to confuse newcomers big time. It's like saying I live in East, East, near East LA not just East LA, got that?

Ugh, no (spend hours on frwy trying to find). Oy vey! :(

and what about those who put a "The" in front of anything?

The former assistant news director at KHOU once insisted that the proper name to use in on-screen fonts was "The Montrose" ("Just like 'The Heights'" she said.) When one of her superiors told her it was stupid she started berating people for following her order.

Fortunately, that was the only place I ever saw "The Montrose" in print.

Another suggestion:

Changing Residential Area of Prominence?

• 3 months later...

Archived