TheNiche

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the updates, all. I always forget to look when driving by and often miss this thread because of its title (it not being "New Whole Foods Being Built Ten Minutes from Tmariar's House!!!")...

I think the Whole Foods will get a lot of business from the Heights, even if/when the Kroger on 11th expands.

Another update. My eagle eyed colleague pointed out that a big ole' hole is being dug on the Whole Foods site. He saw what he figured was pipe for power cabling being put in. Progress!

FYI: They've had bulldozers digging utility trenches on and around the South parking lots on the AIG complex for the past two weeks or so. As of 2 days ago, I hadn't noticed any activity that had begun on the actual lot for the Whole Foods (big field at W. Dallas & Waugh). Will check later today.

This project appears to be on its way...

Another update. My eagle eyed colleague pointed out that a big ole' hole is being dug on the Whole Foods site. He saw what he figured was pipe for power cabling being put in. Progress!

Photo-update:

Work on this side of the development must have started within the past day or so:

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Work in the South parking lot here has been ongoing for a couple of weeks: (these pictures are actually from last week)

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

No sign of any work being done or planned East of Eberhard (along W. Dallas between Eberhard and Montrose). I'm almost positive that the land there is planned to be part of the development, however.

Also, new signage for Retail Leasing was put up this weekend for the land on the opposite side of the Montrose intersection (South side of W. Dallas and Montrose--across the street from Chevron). No new news there--it's been reported on this site that it is supposed to be developed into Retail in the future.

Thanks for the updates, all. I always forget to look when driving by and often miss this thread because of its title (it not being "New Whole Foods Being Built Ten Minutes from Tmariar's House!!!")...

There you go. Now you have to invite me to your next scotch tasting party. ;)

There you go. Now you have to invite me to your next scotch tasting party. ;)

Woo hoo!

My scotch party is usually St. Andrew's Day (11/30) or Burns Night (1/25). Both are Sundays this year, though, so will have to give it some thought...

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update: It looks like they've spray-painted and staked off the property between Eberhard and Montrose (the Eastern half of W. Dallas frontage between Waugh and Montrose). So they're probably about to start utility work on that half of the development.

This confirms what we thought--the development will include both the Whole Foods lot (large field by AIG tower) and the entirety of the W. Dallas frontage from Montrose to Waugh.

Regarding the work that has been underway on the western side--there aren't any new developments. They're continuing to dig and fill holes throughout for utility work. All together, this looks like a pretty big chunk of land that's going to be developed.

Does that archstone development have a website or haif thread? I remember that name but never associated it with 'mixed use.'

It calls itself mixed-use, but what has been written about it isn't too encouraging. The buzz when the project was announced was that the Washington frontage would be closed off and merely would be the back side of apartments.

No official announcements yet from Archstone-Smith that I know of:

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...25/story10.html

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=15093

Actually, the crane that he's referencing is for a development West of Waugh/Heights, located near Jackson Hill.

The development you're referring to is a Gables Memorial Hills.

I haven't found much info on it, although it has been mentioned here.

Other Information:

http://swamplot.com/memorial-hills-apartme...ies/2008-05-08/

Also, this happens to be a project supplied by the company I work for, so if I find anything else out I'll post it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
any updates on this project? i biked by the other day and the bulldozers seems to be in the exact positions as the photos uhlaw posted on 10/27...

Yeah, I've been in finals world for the past month, so I haven't been out much. I don't know what's going on with this. I'm wondering if the work that was done earlier was simply part of the city's utility upgrades that are occurring throughout North Montrose. I'm curious because I have seen no work done on the site that wasn't utility-related, and now all of the equipment is gone.

Also a new Cushman For Sale sign was put up on the corner of Montrose and W. Gray during the last week or so. There was a sign there prior to Ike that was blown down and never replaced until now. I don't know if the previous sign was "For Sale" or not. The "Whole Foods" development sign is still up at Waugh and W. Gray.

The Sarnoff article earlier this year noted 13 acres of development "along West Dallas between Montrose and Waugh." So it may not stretch all the way to Montrose. But if not, I don't know where all of the 13 acres are. Either way, a For Sale sign is up at Montrose and W. Gray. I won't speculate on that.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/moms/5777804.html

Tangentially-related note: I'm happy to see that the tree-plantings and work on the sidewalks along Montrose is getting under way. Good to see some progress.

• 1 month later...
still no activity at the site, i've lost hope...

i dont think you realize how difficult it is to develop something today, especially the size and magnitude of this project. eventually, the site will be built out but if youre expecting things to happen overnight or even within the next few months, you will be very dissapointed.

in order to move forward on a deal and to be perfectly blunt; ANY developer pretty much gets bent over backward and takes it up the rear with only a drop of vaseline.

i dont think you realize how difficult it is to develop something today, especially the size and magnitude of this project. eventually, the site will be built out but if youre expecting things to happen overnight or even within the next few months, you will be very dissapointed.

in order to move forward on a deal and to be perfectly blunt; ANY developer pretty much gets bent over backward and takes it up the rear with only a drop of vaseline.

I'm glad you're always here to remind us of this. Although it's not our favorite news, it's always better than hearing a project is dead.

i understand, but i figured we would have heard something. at least we haven't heard negative news, and no news doesn't necessarily mean bad news. sitting tight...

• 3 weeks later...

Lots more dirt being moved around now. They've put up posters all over the AIG campus about the changes to the parking lots and entrances along W. Dallas. The westernmost entrance on W Dallas will closed off permanently (as it is now on Finger property) and a new entrance is going in closer to the Waugh corner. There will also be access to the Whole Foods center from D'Amico (which is controlled by a light at Waugh).

Lots more dirt being moved around now. They've put up posters all over the AIG campus about the changes to the parking lots and entrances along W. Dallas. The westernmost entrance on W Dallas will closed off permanently (as it is now on Finger property) and a new entrance is going in closer to the Waugh corner. There will also be access to the Whole Foods center from D'Amico (which is controlled by a light at Waugh).

Well those two driveways along W. Dallas, were a bit confusing for people anyway trying to get to AIG. And there could be a major increase to the already impacted traffic jams happaning at the corners of Waugh and Dallas in the am and pm. Hopefully they will put in a turning signal (or whatever kind of timed light for each direction) for the W/E bound traffic of Dallas. It was hard getting thru the light (esp. from metro buses) from either direction when turning. I myself use to work there as well, I just talked to a friend still there, she too is very excited with Whole Foods coming in, so yay for you guys!!!

I'm very skeptical that this moving of dirt and utility work equates to the development beginning in the immediate future. For instance, they already did a bunch of work on this property in 2008, and then it sat with no activity for a long period of time. They've been expanding water and electricity capacities throughout this area (up and down Montrose and up and down W. Dallas) for the past year or so, so I don't see any reason to think that this work is anything more.

It's just hard to believe that this would be the start of any type of development given the current climate in the city.

There is an increased amount of work still being done throughout the lot (Whole Foods area, parking lots, etc.). They were tearing our some of the signs on one of the W. Dallas entrances when I drove by earlier today. I would take some photos, but my iPhone is temporarily out of commission.

Does anyone have any information regarding what's being done on the site? Do the posters inside the buildings provide any insight into what is actually being done currently?

Does anyone have any information regarding what's being done on the site? Do the posters inside the buildings provide any insight into what is actually being done currently?

no detail on the nature of the work other than the complex loses that one entrance. I'm sure more gossip will surface as the work continues.

Archived